WSF SHOPPING - LURE FISHING SHOP | RODS | REELS | HOOKS | RIG BITS | LURES | LINES | SHORE RIGS | BOAT RIGS | LUGGAGE | MORE

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Member Blogs | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

WSF Hardcore Poster sallysludgebucket's Avatar

Interests
    FISHING !
    Favourite Reel
    I love em all !
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacement baiting needles, FREE !

I don't know about you lot but when I need my baiting needle I can never find it. Some clever dcik suggested I should tape the rubber sleeve it cames in to my tripod and religiously replace the needle after every use, fab idea until I took a different tripod with me fishing ! Get a bite and the needle and everything else gets dropped in the commotion.

I have been looking for years for something not quite as deadly as a baiting needle that will do the same job, finally I have found it when I least expected it. WIndscreen wipers went for a Burton so I bought a realy nasty pound pair of 20 inch that broke before I actually had em fitted ( me nan would of turned in her grae ranting on about false econemy ! LOL ) Well each blade was held in place with a pair of metal strips, which must be stainless steel as well as they aint rusted ! When I eventually found a garage and bought a decent pair i also asked if I could have a rummage through his scrap blades, result a lifetimes supply of baiting needles ! LOL

When I arrived home, I experimented with cutting a small angled slot in one end to loop on the hook but havent managed to get a hole cut in one yet, when I find the Dremel I will have a bash with a mini cutting disk.

Mussels, lug and macky slotted on and whipped with bait elastic can be made into a huge sausage which once slid off can be cut to hookable lengths. Because they are flat, opposed to round as a true baiting needle is, the baits dont run around avoiding the elastic, the whole porcess is so much easier. This can be done with left over and surplus baits and frozen in tubs which cuts down on all the messing on the beach and you dont need a baiting needle with you,

bet I still lose one though ! PMSL
    Last edited by sallysludgebucket; 01-07-2008 at 13:48. Reason: My mother is a hamster !
    Know how to prevent sagging?
    Just eat till the wrinkles fill out.
    Website dealing with yet another flood we suffered, thanks to all for the assistance.

Favourite Rod
    Zziplex ZF 250
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 6500 CT mag elite
    Best Catch
    12lb14 bass, 10lb undulate ray, 15lb pollack (boat)
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea. To help with holding the hook you could try this little trick that a certain rig making genius once showed me. Having a flat profile should make your needls even better. Hope the pictures are self explanatory. The loop of wire holds the hook in place while you bind on the bait.

Species for 2010 - 36 species
    Flounder, bass, pout, poor cod, whiting, eel, 5b Rockling, dogfish, pollack, herring, sandeel, starry hound, bk bream, mackerel, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, goldsinny, sand goby, cod, smoothound, thornback ray, tub gurnard, scad, rock cook, bull head, black goby, red gurnard, se ray, dab, dragonet, red mullet, tl mullet, huss, conger, trigger, undulate

2009 - 34 Species

Chesil Beach Fishing Forum

Interests
    FISHING !
    Favourite Reel
    I love em all !
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot about that little gadget ( after losing mine on a beach ! PMSL ) so have tried it with me windy wiper blades, result ? a broken nail and twisted pliers ! LOL Will crack it though !
    Website dealing with yet another flood we suffered, thanks to all for the assistance.

Scotland Forum Moderator millser's Avatar

Interests
    fishing,walking dog,cooking
    Favourite Rod
    century tip tornado sport/greys appollo
    Favourite Reel
    penn 525 mag/slosh30/abu7000/7500
    Best Catch
    5lb 2oz shore caught turbot 13lb boat cod 46lb barracuda
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcamilleri View Post
    Great idea. To help with holding the hook you could try this little trick that a certain rig making genius once showed me. Having a flat profile should make your needls even better. Hope the pictures are self explanatory. The loop of wire holds the hook in place while you bind on the bait.

That is a really clever idea though I think I would prefer to put the hook through the bait before attaching the hook to the 'bait needle'

Favourite Rod
    Zziplex ZF 250
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 6500 CT mag elite
    Best Catch
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Broken nails eh. You're asking for it - OK - get a man to do it for you then

Not much use for worms and you wouldn't tend to put bait elastic on worm baits anyway, but for getting a well presented mackerel or squid strips it works well. Same for slippers and other fiddly baits. Worth a try.
    Flounder, bass, pout, poor cod, whiting, eel, 5b Rockling, dogfish, pollack, herring, sandeel, starry hound, bk bream, mackerel, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, goldsinny, sand goby, cod, smoothound, thornback ray, tub gurnard, scad, rock cook, bull head, black goby, red gurnard, se ray, dab, dragonet, red mullet, tl mullet, huss, conger, trigger, undulate

2009 - 34 Species

Interests
    FISHING !
    Favourite Reel
    I love em all !
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mersey boys and huss hunters may differ on the worm point, they use huge gert big cocktailed sausage baits with squid, macky, stinky old worm that will only stay on the hook with lacky and anything else that is at hand ! Over the really rough crab feeding grounds in North Wales the only way a worm ( black lug ) will last 30 seconds is if its fixed with elastic, its quite the norm.

After fixing my nail and digging out two pairs of pliers I have managed to fashion quite a tasty little gadget, have to post a camera to a mate, will include a tester for him as I know hes off to the Breakwater for a bash, will post results.

Favourite Rod
    Zziplex ZF 250
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 6500 CT mag elite
    Best Catch
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected.

2009 - 34 Species