WSF SHOPPING - LURE FISHING SHOP | RODS | REELS | HOOKS | RIG BITS | LURES | LINES | SHORE RIGS | BOAT RIGS | LUGGAGE | MORE

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Member Blogs | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    WSF Regular Poster fishfinderchris's Avatar

Interests
    fishing money
    Favourite Rod
    Shakespeare Salt Beach FS
    Favourite Reel
    Shakespeare Salt Surf Reel
    Best Catch
    10 lb bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

how to use a Multiplier Reel

Got a Multiplier Reel and dont know how to use it, last time i went fishing it completely tangled up when i casted, the line just kept failing in to the sea. the make of the reel is

Shakespeare hurricane
    gear ratio 5.3:1
    smooth multi disc drag
    Gentrifugal brake system
    free spool control
    hight sped retrieve

can any 1 give advice or recommend a good site with a how to? on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfinderchris View Post
    Got a Multiplier Reel and dont know how to use it, last time i went fishing it completely tangled up when i casted, the line just kept failing in to the sea. the make of the reel is

Shakespeare hurricane
    gear ratio 5.3:1
    smooth multi disc drag
    Gentrifugal brake system
    free spool control
    hight sped retrieve

can any 1 give advice or recommend a good site with a how to? on it
    on the left hand side there is a screw cap, this will put more tension on the spool, tackle up, fit the lead you feel happy with, hold the rod up at about 80 degrees and release the spool keeping your finger on it, then tighten up the cap screw until the spool just allows the line to pay off under the influence of the lead. In this way when you cast the spool will self regulate and prevent over runs. as you get more used to casting the tension can be released to improve distance. You will no doubt get more ideas on here, but this is the first rule to be applied. Although the manuals do not state it. Different oil viscosities and brake pads will come much later, and casting stances and methods, but first learn how to walk. Good luck, any one who say's he has never had a birds nest is telling porkies.

WSF Regular Poster

Interests
    shooting, sea fishing, Falconry
    Favourite Rod
    Shakespeare salt MPV
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano speedmaster
    Best Catch
    My Misses
    Post Thanks / Like
    second is
    As you cast, watch the lead and put your thumb on the spool just before the lead hits the water.

Happy fishing

multiplier advice.
    this might help too

Sandalar
    Last edited by Sandalar; 31-07-2008 at 22:57. Reason: edited to add link

WSF Regular Poster fishfinderchris's Avatar

Interests
    fishing money
    Favourite Rod
    Shakespeare Salt Beach FS
    Favourite Reel
    Shakespeare Salt Surf Reel
    Best Catch
    10 lb bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help will let u know how i get off

The people's moral compass crazyplums's Avatar

Interests
    Rugby, Fishing,
    Favourite Rod
    conoflex source estuary match, afaw tourny match,
    Favourite Reel
    daiwa saltist30H / mag elite
    Best Catch
    smoothy as seen, 6lb bass., pevensey / dover
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfinderchris View Post
    thanks for the help will let u know how i get off
    how you get off is your business!!

re the multi, to my knowledge, the end caps are only for centering the spool, not for slowing it, if you put too much pressure on them, then the bearings will wear out prematurely and the reel will never 'cast' as intended,

all mulit's i use, both thos with mag brakes and those with just cetrifugal brakes, have about 0.5mm end float, ie, adjust the enf cap until the spool has the slightest of lateral (sideways) movement, you should just feel it.

have you checked the brake block are fitted? if it's a second hand reel they may have broken up anfd be no more, if it's new, check they're fitted.

smooth casting is the most important thing, my abu's are damned fast, yet they rarely birdie,

if you're using a shock leader then check the knot isn't too bit, and is neatly trimmed,

est thing to do is to start again, tie the line to something, and walk it all off, or wind onto another reel, then wind it back on under tension.

from what i see, the reel has a level wind mechanism, after one birdie / crack off, the line can often be out of sync with the level wind, so every time you get to a certain point, it will birdie (been there a long time ago! the line that spools off should always be in line with the guide, make sure it's not going the poosite direction or it slows down and speeds up as the line becomes in line and then out of sync.

HUgh
    A founder member of "Team Extreme" sea fishing club

I'm Mighty Bright, are you?

need Boat names? signs? stickers? printed garments? Click here!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyplums View Post
    how you get off is your business!!

re the multi, to my knowledge, the end caps are only for centering the spool, not for slowing it, if you put too much pressure on them, then the bearings will wear out prematurely and the reel will never 'cast' as intended,

all mulit's i use, both thos with mag brakes and those with just cetrifugal brakes, have about 0.5mm end float, ie, adjust the enf cap until the spool has the slightest of lateral (sideways) movement, you should just feel it.

have you checked the brake block are fitted? if it's a second hand reel they may have broken up anfd be no more, if it's new, check they're fitted.

smooth casting is the most important thing, my abu's are damned fast, yet they rarely birdie,

if you're using a shock leader then check the knot isn't too bit, and is neatly trimmed,

est thing to do is to start again, tie the line to something, and walk it all off, or wind onto another reel, then wind it back on under tension.

from what i see, the reel has a level wind mechanism, after one birdie / crack off, the line can often be out of sync with the level wind, so every time you get to a certain point, it will birdie (been there a long time ago! the line that spools off should always be in line with the guide, make sure it's not going the poosite direction or it slows down and speeds up as the line becomes in line and then out of sync.

HUgh

WE ARE TALKING TO A LEARNER HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what ABU recomend

TomBettle
    100% go with Aquabell's suggestion.

As you learn to control the cast his way of describing it then you can start getting clever with brake blocks and so on.

Adjust the end cap so that the lead falls to the ground under a little (not loads) drag. Once it hits the ground the spool should stop almost instantly with this very low amount of momentum.

Try a few gentle lobs like this.
    Start with your thumb firmly on the spool and the reel out of gear. With the rod loosely held at three o'clock smoothly swing it round to 11 o'clock and then release your thumb from the reel spool.
    It won't go too far this first time, but you won't get the overrun like before.

Do this a few times and slowly start getting slightly firmer with the casting. Like this you should be able to eventually get a bait out 80+ yards without the hint of an overrun.
    BUT, as you get more confident you'll naturally start to give it a little more wellie to see if it will go further.... This is where it will usually start to go wrong!
    Don't worry, it's still part of the learning curve.

To get it to go further you will now need to fractionally loosen the side plate (remember the one you tightened a bit at the start). Do the lead drop test again. This tme the lead will still drop under a titchy bity of drag, but a lot less than before. Now when it hits the ground, the spool may just overrun a little before it stops (only two or three turns of the spool).
    Now go back to the gentle lob again.
    This time when you cast, you'll need to very gently feather the spool with your thumb. This will gently prevent the overrun from getting worse. Make sure you don't feather the spool too much as it will cause a nasty friction burn... literally it will just need to float a gazillionth of an inch on the line to slow it down a fraction.
    Here your thumb is doing the job of that little dial on the end plate.
    What you must do now is just as the lead lands you have to put your thumb firmly and quickly back on the spool and it will stop it straight away.
    Keep casting like this and as your confidence and skill raises, you will feather the spool less and less until you can "feel" and "hear" when you need to just skim the spool a fraction with your thumb.
    Get this one sussed and you'll soon have a bait hitting over 100 yards.

Now go back to the beginning and dree the spool up just a little more.
    Repeat the steps all over again.
    Then again
    Then again

Once you have got all that lot to a tee, you'll be a skilled caster using a reel with virtually no additional brakes other than your own ability.
    Then you can look at the posh reels that will send your lead over the horizon and slow it down with magnets and so on.

The people's moral compass crazyplums's Avatar

Interests
    Rugby, Fishing,
    Favourite Rod
    conoflex source estuary match, afaw tourny match,
    Favourite Reel
    daiwa saltist30H / mag elite
    Best Catch
    smoothy as seen, 6lb bass., pevensey / dover
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquabell View Post
    WE ARE TALKING TO A LEARNER HERE
    err, so was my 12yr old lad who picked up my braid filled abu 5500 (no mags) when i wasn't paying attention, and with no instruction from me (just his own observations) he put it on his rod, plonked a 4oz lead on the end, and sent a baited rig around 60-80 yards. something he has done ever since, sure.. he has the odd birdie, but nothing he hasn't been able to sit and sort of his own accord in a couple of minutes.

i remember buying my first abu, never used a multi before, shop set it up, the brakes were set on 4, and away i went. the saltists i own have no mag brakes either, they have end float, heavy line, and still blast out or plop in close,

there's being cautious, and being over cautious!

for the most part i was giving sensible advice, things to perhaps check, etc. not trying to tell the guy how to hit the horizon.

ps, the diagram is discussing lures, not a 5oz lead, castin on the drag or with pressure on the bearings/shaft is not too clever imho.

Hugh
    A founder member of "Team Extreme" sea fishing club

I'm Mighty Bright, are you?

need Boat names? signs? stickers? printed garments? Click here!!

WSF Hardcore Poster interceptor's Avatar

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Crazyplums on this, getting someone to show you would be worth much more than trying to decide the best set up for your reel.Are there any WSF members in Swansea that could help you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast