WSF SHOPPING - LURE FISHING SHOP | RODS | REELS | HOOKS | RIG BITS | LURES | LINES | SHORE RIGS | BOAT RIGS | LUGGAGE | MORE

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Member Blogs | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Rod
    Daiwa Kenzaki Braid 12/20
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Torium 16
    Best Catch
    12lb Cod
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat Report - Hayling Island bass trip 25/07/09

Early start on board Valkyrie with skipper Glenn Cairns. Got to say this was the first time out in that area and what a skipper... Great friendly service throughout and what a lovely boat (40ft Pepe Boats 'Catfish' Aluminium Catamaran)

Got to Hayling Island bright and early and waited for Paiges tackle to open for some gear for the 8 newbies to bass fishing. This was the first time myself and the crew had done bass fishing and the first time we had used live bait.

Weather looked great on land but little did we know what was coming....

Arrived at the sand banks some 20 odd miles out from port and the boat could not stay still. One guy shouts "here comes the white waves". That was the beginning of the end..

I got to use my new 12-20 Kenzaki braid rod coupled with the Shimano Torium 16 and what a setup. Amazingly light and perfcet for this trip. Even the skipper recognised the great setup. However, it was the very first time i had used a reel without a a level wind. Managed to get used to it pretty quick. Also put the Portland Rig to use for the very first time and what a successful setup.

Drift 1, woohooo I was first to catch a bass and what a bend on the rod. Everyone stopped to look at me reel it in so noooo pressure!!!! after numerous dives, I managed to pull it out and to my surprise a nice 8lb bass. Felt great and finally all the reading and advice had paid off.. I held a nice bass fished by myself for the very first time. Even better i was the only one who caught on that first drift.

Drift 2, felt a little peck peck on the line and bang goes the rod again. No one could believe my luck. But bending over to pick up the fish started getting me a lil dizzy due to the waves. Couple of others managed to get some bass on this drift as well.

Drift 3 was very quiet and only pecks but no take.

Drift 4, bang goes my rod again. It was like wow... we are going to catch loads of bass. Others also managed to catch on this drift

After this drift, people started disappearing to the other side of the boat. It was not a great sight!! people were dropping like flies. Out of 8 fishers, only 3 made it the whole way through. The others were just hiding indoors sleeping adn trying to stay alive.

As the tide was getting stronger it was hard keeping the 8oz lead tight on the ground as it was constantly being pulled by the tide. Learning for next time: take heavier lead to keep line tight against bottom... error made was letting out more line to try get lead to bottom.. good learning experience anway

Overall a very good day out and plenty of bass caught. Well 16 bass caught between 8 beginners which was better than we had expected. Shame the weather spoilt it as one guy only fished for 30 odd minutes. Weather was great again back on dry land. Sods law really...

I would of loved to have taken plenty of pics but everyone was too ill to take pics. So see below pic of a couple of bass in one of my iceboxes.

Just want to take this opportunity to thank all the people who provided me with never ending advice from the start for a beginner in this sport. Loving every minute of this new sport and will continue to perfect my skills with what i have learnt. Special thanks to ChrisM, Cascars, TomBettle, white lancer and egg-custard for putting up with my non stop questions..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interests
    Fishing. Doh!!
    Best Catch
    275lb Copper shark from the beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Top report, top boat and top skipper!! Well done to all.

Diary of an obsessed angling Guide....

THE TROLLING MAESTRO egg-custard's Avatar

Interests
    fishing,gambling,boating...forum posting..!!!
    Favourite Rod
    ugly stik..trolling...!!
    Favourite Reel
    penn supermags..abu 6000s
    Best Catch
    pike,carp,tope,pollock,cod,bass,conger
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    `RAINCLOUD`
    Post Thanks / Like
    BIG CONGRATULATIONS a brill result for you there,you must be well chuffed,a fantastic report and a great account of your day..
    im gald it has all come together,,
    i must ask chris m what secrets he passed on,as it obviously worked...
    well done.and hopefully more top reports to come from you..
    andy
    im running the Brighton half and full marathon in 2015
    www.egg-custard.co.uk
    ...MY ANGLING JOURNAL... !!!

.....READ ALL....!
    .......READ ALL......!!
    .......READ ALL........!!!
    ..........READ ALL.........!!!!
    .......... "ABOUT IT"..........!!!!!
    ONCE MET,NEVER FORGOTTEN...!!!!!!

WSF Hardcore Poster white lancer's Avatar

Favourite Rod
    9' Ugly Stik Uptider
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite
    Best Catch
    Tope 50lbs, Cod 20lbs, Blonde 23lbs, Smoothound 14lbs, Conger 45lbs
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done bobby - nice bass mate. Glad to hear you had a good day out with Glenn. Maybe I will get to go out on Valkyrie sometime!!!!!!!
    2009 Species: Cod, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Pout, Thornback Ray, Lesser Spotted Dog Fish, Starry Smooth Hound, Spotted Ray, Common Smooth Hound, Black Bream, Garfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Tope, Tub Gurnard, Trigger Fish, Smelt, Sole, Dab, Ballan Wrasse, Scad, Conger

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Sea fishing, shooting, conservation
    Favourite Rod
    Ian Golds Premier Match. Shakespeare Salt 20/30
    Favourite Reel
    Accurate 870-2 speed. Penn 525 Mag Xtra
    Best Catch
    100lb + Sailfish. 23lb + Turbot, shore 105 kg shark
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    One that catches BIG fish.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by white lancer View Post
    Well done bobby - nice bass mate. Glad to hear you had a good day out with Glenn. Maybe I will get to go out on Valkyrie sometime!!!!!!!
    I'm supposed to be going out to do a review on the new boat but as he's always full or in the Channel Islands I expect it'll be winter before I get out. Not a problem as I'm sure he'll find some cod and pollock.

WSF Hardcore Poster RobTheRadish's Avatar

Interests
    Sea Fishing, Motorbikes, boys toys!
    Favourite Rod
    12lb Ugly Stick
    Best Catch
    Herpes.
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Any that can get me to the Fish n Back!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice report fella well done. Shame the briney was choppy its prob scarred the newbies for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    nice report, been out twice on valkyrie, wat a boat!! great skipper too, put us on fish all week long in alderney.

Auk

Interests
    Twang
    Favourite Rod
    Abu Typhoon 5120C
    Favourite Reel
    Back in horror
    Best Catch
    35lb tope, 14lb 5oz thornie
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good read that bud, I can feel the floor going up and down now ......
    Think like a fish, drink like a fish.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man`s best friend. Inside of a dog it`s too dark to read.

http://www.abebooks.com/the-blue-pen...ham/3700710/sf

Post Thanks / Like
    Well written report, hope to see more from you, expect we will, you appear to have been "bitten" quite hard. As you say if you lose the bottom wind up, do not let off more line.

Interests
    Fishing, boats, fishing
    Favourite Rod
    One that cost 5 15 years ago
    Favourite Reel
    Quantum from USA
    Best Catch
    Tiger fish in Botswana
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Harley 25 "Rebel Runner"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting report, thanks for sharing it. Different skippers have different methods for the same marks. As I don't have a massive cat like Valkyrie I don't fish that area in a F4 as you were (I was well inshore that day), but we have a different approach - mono lines, 2oz lead fished well back from the boat, fixed spool reels (all wrong according to bass experts) and this consistently outfishes other methods. Not caught an 8lb bass there yet though! Well done.
    Eastern Solent Boat Angling - download "Angling Boats" book here:
    www.boat-angling.co.uk
    Twitter: @boatangling