WSF SHOPPING - LURE FISHING SHOP | RODS | REELS | HOOKS | RIG BITS | LURES | LINES | SHORE RIGS | BOAT RIGS | LUGGAGE | MORE

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Member Blogs | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

Thread: vimar boats

WSF Hardcore Poster

Post Thanks / Like

vimar boats

hi been looking to change boats and looking at a vimar 504
    amybody with any info good or bad most welcome.
    liam12

WSF Hardcore Poster CAPTAIN CHAOS 2's Avatar

Interests
    sea,pike,and trout fishing master at none
    Favourite Rod
    ma old bruce&walker fly rod
    Favourite Reel
    shimano trident beastmaster 4/0
    Best Catch
    the next one
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    my shetland and my seaking
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littleliam@tiscali.co.uk View Post
    try pelamid on the scottish forum think he has a vimar not sure of the model good guy he will be helpful. think there good boats all the same.

Interests
    Fishing, photography, small boats
    Favourite Rod
    Century Fireblade Sport, Conoflex Flicktip NG
    Favourite Reel
    ABU 8000c
    Best Catch
    12lb+ bass, 250+Porbeagle, 200+ skate, 70+ amberjack, 27+ pike, 24+ cod, 16+ coalfish - over 50 yrs
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littleliam@tiscali.co.uk View Post
    Read your PM earlier but got distracted by events.

My Vimar 504 has proven to be a very good sea boat. It will plug away into 4' waves at about 18mph and has no tendancy to dig its nose into any wave. Mind you, if you take a wave badly it will come down with a fair crash - but stays dry and just keeps on going.

With a 50hp Tohatsu TLDI it will manage over 30mph lightly loaded. Even with three anglers and a load of gear it does over 26mph and cruises at over 20mph. Fuel economy has been excellent with that outfit (well, since I had a faulty air injector sorted!)

Only downside has been a tendancy to roll at anchor with a wind across tide situation. But I have been on plenty much worse.

Some photos of my Vimar 504

The previous owner fitted the rather oversize centre consul. I have learnt to live with it. Cuddy needed some wood battens to stiffen it as it had a certain amount of flex in heavy seas.

Otherwise I just love the boat. Contemplated selling it for something smaller but just cannot bring myself to part with the old girl.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Rod
    primo ft century raptor afaw tr
    Favourite Reel
    penn trq100 saltist 20h
    Best Catch
    330lb blue marlin and 2 13lb cod within a hour of each other from the beach
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    mine
    Post Thanks / Like
    seethe boat is looking good ,they a nice boat for the size

Interests
    Fishing, photography, small boats
    Favourite Rod
    Century Fireblade Sport, Conoflex Flicktip NG
    Favourite Reel
    ABU 8000c
    Best Catch
    12lb+ bass, 250+Porbeagle, 200+ skate, 70+ amberjack, 27+ pike, 24+ cod, 16+ coalfish - over 50 yrs
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 16979arkle View Post
    seethe boat is looking good ,they a nice boat for the size
    That has been a lucky boat for me. Plenty of fish east and west coast - cod, pollack, tope to good sizes.

Been out in some right snotty weather that would have had me struggling in my previous Seajeep. If you are brave with the throttle it really flies over the waves - bit hard when you drop off the top of a wave though. Even then she keeps her nose up and is ready for the next wave.

The hull is pretty rigid and does a good job of coping with being driven hard. The cuddy has been a noisy, squeaky creation though. It's just a bolt on job and a bit flexible. I have improved it with a couple of wooden battens inside bolted through to the stainless roof rail.

For their age the Vimar 504 compares reasonably well with much more modern boats. It was the self-draining deck that sold me on it as I wanted to leave the boat on a mooring.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got one of these boats with a 40hp on it .. max speed is 23knts .. i do find tho at full speed did somtimes has the tendency to dive from side to side and you have to hang on ,, Is this the same with yours or is there a fault with mine ? i have been thinking of upgrading the motor to a 50hp as somtimes with weigth in her it feels sluggish .. would i gain a few knts speed and better economy do to less stress on the engine ? any ideas ?