Mechanics, photography, aquatics
    Favourite Reel
    ABU 6500 Mag Elite
    Best Catch
    a sheep
    Post Thanks / Like

Shore Fishing the Solent

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Hey, I am a student in southampton studying marine biology at the oceanography centre and was wondering what target species there are in the solent, what time before/after high tide I should fish, and most importantly, whereabouts I should go. I am really limited to the eastern side of the solent south of the itchen as I don't have many readilyavailible forms of transport. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Tom

WSF Regular Poster

Favourite Rod
    custom made salmon and steelhead
    Favourite Reel
    abu garcia antibacklash
    Best Catch
    25lb striped bass
    Post Thanks / Like

Solent

Western Shore for Bass and Flounders 4 high tides a day due to IOW effect.

Interests
    Fishing, boats, fishing
    Favourite Rod
    One that cost £5 15 years ago
    Favourite Reel
    Quantum from USA
    Best Catch
    Tiger fish in Botswana
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Harley 25 "Rebel Runner"
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Yomper. However you can also get the passenger ferry from Southampton over to Hythe and its a short walk to the marina, plenty of people fish from the sea wall there. You are coming up to the best time for flounders as they fatten up before moving away in the early spring.

WSF Regular Poster

Interests
    snowboarding and now fishing
    Favourite Rod
    the one I've just started with a Kiddy Atlantic Beachcaster
    Favourite Reel
    the one I'm starting out with Robinson Sailor 74
    Best Catch
    19lb Ling (Boat out of Weymouth)
    Post Thanks / Like

Shore Fishing the Solent.

Hi Tom,
    Welcome to the site!
    I'm relatively new to beachcasting so I haven't fished many shore marks but if you go to this website it'll give you the lowdown on Solent venues. Quite informative. However; the fishing reports are a month or two out of date. Good Luck! Click on this live link http://www.solent-fishing-guide.co.uk and click on the beaches link top left hand corner. Good Luck!

Winter's coming! Don't catch a cold catch a cod!
    Life's a beach!

WSF Regular Poster

Interests
    fishing
    Favourite Rod
    abu conolon xodus
    Favourite Reel
    penn 525's
    Best Catch
    this year 8lb 15oz stingray, 3lb 13oz spotted ray, 1lb 2oz gilthead bream,11lb smooth hound
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

do you have your own transport THarper if so, i can tell you some good marks in the west of the solent

Interests
    Mechanics, photography, aquatics
    Favourite Reel
    ABU 6500 Mag Elite
    Best Catch
    a sheep
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for that site, I fished this weekend on Southampton Water as it is very close to me. I fished off of Weston Bridge near the Itchen but with no success. I was using mussels as bait and read that rag seems to be the bait of choice.
    Yes I do have transport, are there any hotspots around Southampton Water that anyone knows of?
    Many Thanks for help so far
    Tom

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Angling, Canal Boating
    Best Catch
    11lb salmon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom and welcome!

Though I've never fished the area myself yet, I have a son who now lives in Bassett, Southampton and he has started looking into some shore spots for me. He reckons a variety of species can be caught at Marchwood (Magazine Lane) where the water is very deep by the container terminal. He's also mentioned Weston Shore to me. There's a reasonable write up on a lot of the shore marks on the Solent website you were recommended, have you read them?

Can't help you with baits or rigs yet, I'll leave that to the experts down there.

Hope this helps a little and good luck.

Cheers Derek

Interests
    Fishing, boats, fishing
    Favourite Rod
    One that cost £5 15 years ago
    Favourite Reel
    Quantum from USA
    Best Catch
    Tiger fish in Botswana
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Harley 25 "Rebel Runner"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THarper
    Many thanks for that site, I fished this weekend on Southampton Water as it is very close to me. I fished off of Weston Bridge near the Itchen but with no success. I was using mussels as bait and read that rag seems to be the bait of choice.
    Yes I do have transport, are there any hotspots around Southampton Water that anyone knows of?
    Many Thanks for help so far
    Tom
    Weston Shore is the Southampton side of Netley - right on Southampton Water. Use rag for bait, no need to cast to the horizon. Fish two hours before first HW and two hours into the second ebb.

Interests
    Predator fishing, rugby and my beloved harley !
    Favourite Rod
    Century Ignitor, Conoflex Vampire II
    Favourite Reel
    Penn 525 and Abu...anything Abu !
    Best Catch
    Not into bragging !
    Post Thanks / Like
    Magazine Lane is a good and easy spot to fish. You can park very close to the mark so no need to struggle with your gear over miles of mud/shingle.

Plenty of whiting with the occasional thumper at times.

I fish there regularly with my nephew and find that sandeel sorts out the better fish with squid strip and mackerel a good second choice.
    "I'm not FAT.....I'm HUSKY"

The Aussies call us boring...we prefer World Champions

WSF Lite Poster

Interests
    music, footie, fishing, squash
    Favourite Rod
    Penn Extreme Vendetta-R
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 6000 Electric Blue
    Best Catch
    5lb bass
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Hello Tom
    I also live near So'ton, just inside the New Forest. I have only fished the western areas of So'ton Water / Solent, and can only second the comments above: Magazine Lane, near Hythe (locally known as Maggy Lane) is a favourite, but I usually use bunches of rag. Fished there last week - baby bass abounding, but also a couple of massive missed bites to go home regretting. You can get mightily snagged-up here, though. I lost 5 sets of tackle in two hours during this recent session alone. The yacht club end is said to be the clearer for snags, but toward the other end of the beach (northward) is a tackle graveyard. Wrap up well, too. It always seems to me to be 5 degrees colder than anywhere else!

You could also try Lepe if you can get over southwest of So'ton Water. Several marks can pull them in: in front of the lighthouse - bass, flounder; a little further west, near the broken concrete and beyond (you'll basically be fishing the edge of the deeper channel into Beaulieu River if you can bang the lead 80-100yds) - flounder, plaice, bass, bream; in front of the cafe in the large carpark - flounder, bass; or east of here off the point - flounder, bass. I've heard that Lepe can also produce sole at night or daybreak, and rumours of codling in winter.

The local fishing shop also has tales of numbers of flounder to 2lb off the reclaimed land, just to the north of Hythe Marina.

All the best
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast