Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    BONWITCO
    Post Thanks / Like

Marine conservation wales

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Hi all
    there is some important information about marine conservation zones proposed for wales,
    look in the conservation and angling politics section,under protection zones.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Fishing,fishing with sons. Kayaking. Mountain Biking.
    Best Catch
    22.5lb Salmon, 16.25lb sea trout. Now working unsuccessfully on sea fish.
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick note to say how important it is to reply about any MCZs that affect you or those you know.
    If I am reading it correctly (pretty sure I am) then any activity within those areas, including kids in the rock pools, snorkelling, swimming & walking the dog along the beach will be prohibited. The fact that business concerns affected by the implementation of these areas are not to be given priority unless there is a lot of evidence in their favour. All tackle shops, petrol stations, guest houses....the list is endless could & probably would be affected. However most of the people outside the fishing community I have spoken to them over the last 6 months or so seem to be broadly in favour of them mainly because they do not understand/have not read the documents. Some of the interested parties involved (mainly the environmental lobby) have waged a very clever & insidious PR campaign, perhaps even without explaining the pitfalls only the perceived benefits!
    Real bee in my bonnet about this one as it directly impacts three of my favourite sea fishing marks, Dwyfor Estuary, North Lleyn & mainly Bardsey.

Interests
    Fishing, Cricket, F1, Playing music live
    Favourite Rod
    Teklon 802ML
    Favourite Reel
    Diawa Procaster 4000
    Best Catch
    Yo Zuri Mag Popper... using another lure ;)
    Post Thanks / Like
    A brief google search has been fruitless. Does anyone have a link they care to share?

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Fishing,fishing with sons. Kayaking. Mountain Biking.
    Best Catch
    22.5lb Salmon, 16.25lb sea trout. Now working unsuccessfully on sea fish.
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://wales.gov.uk/consultations/en...sites/?lang=en

Go to the bottom of the page & the full consultation document is there on a pdf.

Interests
    Fishing, Cricket, F1, Playing music live
    Favourite Rod
    Teklon 802ML
    Favourite Reel
    Diawa Procaster 4000
    Best Catch
    Yo Zuri Mag Popper... using another lure ;)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boxman.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Menia 1 for directing us to the original post. Most of my fishing takes place within the North Llyn MCZ. I've e mailed a screed to the welsh gov this afternoon. Coincidently the proposed HPMCZ covers about half the area Ross has just recommended on a neighbouring thread.

JB

WSF Hardcore Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Puffin Island also takes in penmon, the channel by the lighthouse has always been a bass hot spot.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Shore fishing, Cardigan Bay coast
    Post Thanks / Like
    This doesn't affect my favourite Llyn marks, but I can immediately see a problem with the shore at Pwllheli (this area extends from the quarried headland at Llanbedrog past Carreg y Defaid to beyond Gimlet). Any ban on shore-fishing here would be detrimental to the local economy - it's a very popular mark all year round, probably the most popular on Llyn, and, I would suggest, would be nigh-on unenforcable.

There are ten proposed sites around the Welsh coast of which they hope to choose and designate three or four. Best bet would be to select any you know well and write in about the practicalities. WRT Pwllheli, an easy compromise would be to truncate the area 200m off the low water mark as the eelgrass meadows start below the LWM and dominate the seabed over an extensive area here, although this suggestion might not meet with approval from boat-anglers. But if they try and stop shore-fishing along the front there I think they're going to be on a hiding to nothing.

Cheers - John
    Welsh Shore Species 2009: 40; 2011 onwards, I'm going to chill out more LOL!
    http://www.geologywales.co.uk/storms

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shore fishing aside why take way hundreds maybe thousands of years of comparably low impact commercial fishing let alone recreational boat fishing which will wipe out (yes only modest) a charter industry, a fishing shop industry, a pleasure boat industry and a tourist.

Dare they do this in say Whitby or Penzance or say Chesil Beach?

Why can't we have closed seasons or other alternatives? Banning altogether is purely draconian and in breach of the Magna Carta. They should work with us to build a world class industry rather than pull the carpet. Either way, please all try to get involved.

Peace and tight lines ( until possible)

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    fishing, guitar, about it!
    Favourite Rod
    the bendiest possible
    Favourite Reel
    exage 3000
    Best Catch
    7.10 thorny, 4.11lb ballan, 12lb huss, 9lb 5oz cod, 13lb conger, 6.5lb rainbow on fly
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

I flicked down to page 64 where i read the main reasons why they wanted the area to be protected. all were because of subtidal organisms. so why not just stop dredging?! if theyre fussed about shore fishing, make a biodegradable line thats affordable and works and be done with it. i think the problem is they think a blanket stop everything is the solution to preserve areas with different problems. also, they have 10 putative spots, and want 3-4 of them protecting! hopefully its just them having a good stab at it and it might not go through, there cant be anything solid to go on for each spot and have real reason for protection.

Id hate to see it enforced. could there be anything worse than being thrown off your favourite mark, a place youve revisted for decades, never to be able to return?!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast