Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    USS RONALD REAGAN AIRCRAFT CARRIER
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Quote Originally Posted by iow bass View Post
    although not based in your area ,ive found over the years

bass are widely caught every month of the year these days, ive taken fish over 8lb every month ,even the lean period of january and february will still see better sized fish around if conditions are good.........

to catch the better ones regular - bait choice for me is crucial, big bass dont always get caught on big baits , but the right bait at the right time......often bass will become tuned in to certain foods , but it gets a bit more difficult as locations and food sources vary so what could be a top bait on the isle of wight in march may gain little interest in another area.......

best advice i could try and give is fish hard ! use a bit of thought with bait choice and just because a whole mackerel caught well in mid-summer come january it wont get as much attention .......

if useing over large baits present them right,bait up neatly rather than rely on a massive hook to do the business on its own, pennel 6/0 should be more than enough for shore baits imo , use a bait clip just to aid presentation ,keeps it tidy and makes even short casting less troublesome

final point dont expect all bass to give strong bites , knocks n nudges regular lead to good fish and a rod bending massive hit can easily be a two pounder

the one big problem with targetting bass is it gets addictive and leads to fishing at silly times , in silly places

good luck
    Good reply this, i find the bait that i catch bass in every month is lug but for better fish razor, makkie works from may till october, i certainly pay alot of attention to bait presentation i'm showing friends how to do it correctly otherwise you'll miss bites, i do often find on bigger baits that hit it HARD i usually use up to 6/0's but if needed would use bigger, a bass of 5lbs has a HUGE gob, even a 3lder the bigger makkies i use have no trouble getting inside them

BASSIN ASSASSIN

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must say that not always (i find most times though) bigger baits nail the biggest bass as the CRACKING fish (as reported in the south east section) caught from dungie on a 3hook flapper with lug on size 2's proves, there was also a 18lb plus (probably was a shore record) taken last november (i think november) from dungie again reported by GEORDIE SI (thanks for sharing) but this was whole squid, ALL bass are opportunistic fish given the need, stick at it though boys and girls as that biggun might be the next tap tap tap BANG,

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've really enjoyed following this thread over the last few days. Plenty of good solid advice to anybody bait fishing for bass. Up here on the Llyn we've had schoolies all through the winter but the bigger fish have only just started to show inshore. I had a nice one just over four and a half pound last week so fingers crossed for the rest of the season. Just occurred to me now, do people find that the average size of shore caught bass falls the further north you go?
    Regards
    JB

BASSIN ASSASSIN

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsarn View Post
    I've really enjoyed following this thread over the last few days. Plenty of good solid advice to anybody bait fishing for bass. Up here on the Llyn we've had schoolies all through the winter but the bigger fish have only just started to show inshore. I had a nice one just over four and a half pound last week so fingers crossed for the rest of the season. Just occurred to me now, do people find that the average size of shore caught bass falls the further north you go?
    Regards
    JB
    Think you could be right although in a few years i doubt it'll be vastly different, bass are very widespread now even big fish, if you do ever keep the bass you catch its genuinely worth checking what (or if) it has been feeding one, i had one double last august that had a gut full of porcelain and masked crabs, the most surprising thing i found was i caught rockling on lugworm shortly after catching my 4th bass that session, inside the start of the basses gut was a live rockling which it had definately eaten shortly before eating the whole makkie i put out, it also had an 8-10inch edible softie inside so it shows a wide variety in one fish what they eat, 4 different types of food plus the makkie i used, if i'm right in thinking a member on here had the scottish record 13lb plus bass and it most definately will get bigger, as for the current uk best its only a matter of when before a 20lbder is landed from both boat and shore,

BASSIN ASSASSIN

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping this pic goes up but if so

'LARGE RAZOR BAITS' Rigged for bass

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks so good you'd wonder how any self respecting bass could refuse it. Can't say I've had a great deal of success with either shop bought or collected razor. A chap I was talking to the other week who was brought up on the IOM said that they used to bury the razor for a few days. Seems a bit extreme but I can see why it might help.

JB

BASSIN ASSASSIN

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EELB2BIG View Post
    Hoping this pic goes up but if so

'LARGE RAZOR BAITS' Rigged for bass
    and my rigs are like so The Double Large Razor Setup.jpgThe Whole Mackerel Setup.jpg

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsarn View Post
    Looks so good you'd wonder how any self respecting bass could refuse it. Can't say I've had a great deal of success with either shop bought or collected razor. A chap I was talking to the other week who was brought up on the IOM said that they used to bury the razor for a few days. Seems a bit extreme but I can see why it might help.

JB
    Check out my thread "Need a Marine Biologist to answer this" in this, bait discussions. Might answer why they buried them.

Bill

BASSIN ASSASSIN

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Proof how good makkie is here for bigger bass 34inch Monster Bass.jpg

and this one recently caught on large double razor 32inch Bass on razor.jpg

Interests
    Shootin/fishin
    Favourite Rod
    ZZZZ...no lets not go there.....
    Favourite Reel
    vetran, old school 6500's 7500's & slosh even that Avet now has a home on the bare bones....
    Best Catch
    34lb barri'-1972 aged 12! San Diego, downhill ever since.
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

Well worth a read...

To remove this advert please register for a free account

http://www.worldseafishing.com/revie..._and_more.html

certainly has opened my eyes to the delights of light line fishing....
    Back to the sloshes for me.....

"Expensive rods will not be worth it"--
    Spend it on fishing trips and freezer bags"
    --Social Sport Fishing, California.

and they were right!

...2014 stats--15 all released as no eatin in the buggers!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast