WSF SITES | WSF WEB ZINE | WSF FORUMS | WSF GEAR SHOP | WSF ARCHIVES

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

SEARCH WSF

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

SHARE THIS THREAD:

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Sea Sickness - Which pills work?

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Hi,

From past fishing trips experience I know that I suffer from sea sickness to the point that I can't even fish between being ill. This drives me up the wall as I really enjoy boat fishing (basically seems to be the only way to really catch decent fish these days), but after my last few trips I have not bothered as I spent all my time chucking up.

I wish to try some of the sea sickness pills but am unsure what to take. Has anyone tried any? If so what do you recommend. Other rubbish like the wrist bands and the like do not work (last time I just lost all blood circulation to my hands!)

Cheers

W

Interests
    Boat Fishing on my QS640
    Favourite Rod
    MTI 20-40 Braid / MTI 15lb Offshore
    Favourite Reel
    All of my Avets!
    Best Catch
    2 x 75lb Yellowfin Tuna, 85lb Conger, 28lb Cod, 11.5lb Bass, 22lb Spurdog (Unofficial UK record)
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Quicksilver 640 Pilothouse
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my own boat, but up to owning one and fishing the Thames Estuary, which for main part if rough develops into short choppy seas, I have been fine. However when we go "away" and fish those long rolling seas, i.e English Channel, South west Ireland, and the like I am always sick, I take "sea legs" an hour or so before embarking, and now I am fine. These work for me, hope they work for you, I know how you suffer, I would not wish it on anyone.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Rod
    Mandolin Wind
    Best Catch
    193lb Common Skate , 161lb Blue Shark
    Post Thanks / Like
    A mate swears by "Boots Travel sickness pills " .

Interests
    Fishing, beer and fishing
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only ones worth the trouble is Stugeron which you can get from Boots. However, you will soon work out that 20 people will post 20 different remedies on here. In the end it is personal preference and slightly mind over matter. One of my very good friends used to work on the river police out of Wapping. Never been sea sick in his life. Fully certificated and had delivered boats all over the country. Been out in seas we only look at from the beach. One day off Portsmouth bassing, turned green as a pea - first time I'd ever seen someone proper green. To this day I'll never forget it - and it's never happened since. Weird.

CD

Interests
    bass fishing bass angling and beer drinking
    Favourite Rod
    conoflex , abu
    Favourite Reel
    abu 7000 , 6500
    Best Catch
    40 lb plus stingray , 13lb 4 bass
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadee View Post
    The only ones worth the trouble is Stugeron which you can get from Boots. However, you will soon work out that 20 people will post 20 different remedies on here. In the end it is personal preference and slightly mind over matter. One of my very good friends used to work on the river police out of Wapping. Never been sea sick in his life. Fully certificated and had delivered boats all over the country. Been out in seas we only look at from the beach. One day off Portsmouth bassing, turned green as a pea - first time I'd ever seen someone proper green. To this day I'll never forget it - and it's never happened since. Weird.

CD

sea legs are good and also sturgeon , they are all antihistamine but what ever they are the most important thing to do is to take a dose the night before at bed time and then again in the morning . this should work ,,, no drinking the day before ...
    www.private-spanish-apartment.co.uk

chugging for britain

we are only fishing so sod off and mind your own business

tea now photographic quality

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Rig Building, Fly Tying, Fishing, Sailing, Sophistry
    Favourite Rod
    Revox Magnite Pro 30lb
    Favourite Reel
    Penn 330LD
    Best Catch
    311lb Porbeagle
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a reply I made on another forum last week:

By far the best sea sickness remedy is to stay on shore...

The pill I gave you yesterday was Hyosciene Hydrobromide - the usual "Kwells"-type pill you see in the Chemist. They're supposed to work straight away (I keep them in my first aid kit to give to the dog when we're sailing )

Others prefer Meclozine Hydrochloride ("Sea Legs") which you take the night before and then 'top-up' before you set sail but I found that they made me really sleepy. There's also "Stugeron" which seems to work fantastically for some people - but not at all for others

I usually chew Crystallized Ginger as I drive down to the boat, an traditional herbal remedy which I think works (but I do have some Dramamine-based pills to take if I get really ill, you can't get them in the UK though).

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    "Boots Travel sickness pills " . theyre brill, take one half hour before you go,, theyre cheap as well.

Interests
    game, coarse, sea fishing
    Favourite Rod
    straight one
    Favourite Reel
    round one
    Best Catch
    20 rainbow in 1hr
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    pilot 460
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up see ur local quack

get him to give a prescription for Scopoderm TTS patches and stick em on neck or arm.
    Also get Buccastem M tabs and put em between lip and gum
    that'll sort u no prob!!!
    If in doubt google them to find out more

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Thanks for all the replies - looks like I'll stock up on a couple of brands and give them a test run. The main concern is the sleepy ones as I'll be driving to the coast / back just a bit concerned if they knock me out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast