Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    The Lord of The Isles
    Post Thanks / Like

Bournemouth Beach, fishing for Bass.

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Hi all,

Has anybody got any advice on where the best place to pick up sizable Bass is from the shore in Bournemouth bay?

I fish in the Channel Islands for a couple of weeks every year, but i've never fished here in Bournemouth until a couple of weeks ago.

My brother and I fished Southbourne (100yrds to the left of the end of the promenade, almost Hengistbury) at high tide through the night and all we had was a Dover Sole in SW winds at half moon.

I fished Durley Chine the week after during Neaps in a NW wind and picked up 8 fish (1 Poorcod, 3 pouting, 2 Dogfish & 2 Bass), most fish were taken around high tide, all fish were under 2lb unfortunately.

I fished the first day of the spring in a NW again and had a torrid night, a few really decent bites at Durley Chine but just 2 Pouting to show for my efforts and I fished from dusk until dawn.

I am using Ragworm & Black Lug cocktail as bait, which I gather is the best bait aside from live Sand-eel.

Has anybody got any decent advice on spots for bigger Bass?
    I chatted to the guys on Bournemouth pier one night and that were picking up just checker Bass & Doggies.

Also I thought I would be into lots of flatties (Plaice, Sole, Dabs etc), but haven't had one so far.

Anybody fished Boscombe Pier lately?

Kind regards

Chris

Favourite Rod
    The one that catches the fish :o)
    Favourite Reel
    The one on that rod
    Best Catch
    1lb 2oz Top Knot,54lb Conger.4.5lb Bream.
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    "My brother and I fished Southbourne (100yrds to the left of the end of the promenade, almost Hengistbury) at high tide through the night and all we had was a Dover Sole in SW winds at half moon."
    Try a little further along towards Hengistbury look for the slick that comes close into the shore you may find an answer or two there.

Interests
    Fishing and Rugby
    Favourite Rod
    Sonic SK4
    Favourite Reel
    Daiwa Emcast
    Best Catch
    7lb Bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mate, I agree with Philwsn, your best off at the end nearest to Hengistbury, they have renovated the beach here recently and I think this may have had some effect on the flatties ect, but I caught a 6lb bass from here a couple of weeks after this renovation so it didn't appear to put the bass off.

Rag is an ever present in most people's bait box round here but I always stick a whole bluey or macky fillet out for bass or ray or a whole sandeel for a ray. Sections of rag tipped with squid strip will take bream if they're about and a boom rig baited with rag and small hooks cast into the gulley running at a right angle to the beach, out from the end of the groins, might pick you up a sole this time of year.

For the bass, this beach always will fish better in a SW or S with a bit of surf but you can normally catch in most conditions due to it being a fairly all round venue. Hope this helps.

Interests
    Rocks, Seascapes & SeaBass
    Favourite Rod
    Century Excalibur TT, TTR & Zzippy Powertex Bass
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Tiagra 80, Trinidad's 14 & 16
    Best Catch
    28lb Conger on a Bass rod.
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    The Lord of The Isles
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys...

I have thought about fishing off the piers but some people say the area has been trawled flat and there isn't much about, just schooling fish.

The night we fished Southbourne there was 5 or 6 other anglers fishing through the night toward Hengistbury.

Whats a bluey?

Some people have been telling me half a side or a small mackeral works for Bass.

I just can't believe nobody values black lug here. I know its hell to dig or expensive to buy, but in the channel islands is like fishing with dynamite, we catch Bass, Black Bream, Red Bream, Ballan Wrasse, Pollock, Garfish, Plaice, Doggies, Rainbow Wrasse, Mackeral, Conger etc all on it, but we dig it fresh.

I'll give Hengistbury a go next time, the only thing that puts me off is the weed I hear about, but I gather people are catching a wider variety of fish there.

Does anyone know if fishing off Mudeford quay is producing decent fish? There is quite a tidal flow there and there must be a lot of fish in and out of the harbour?!

Interests
    Fishing and Rugby
    Favourite Rod
    Sonic SK4
    Favourite Reel
    Daiwa Emcast
    Best Catch
    7lb Bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Mudeford is doing fairly well, I fished Avon beach last night, Which is just to the left of there and it's throwing up some great bream catches to squid tipped rag, I had 6. Also took a tub Gurnard and a couple of pout.

A bluey is a Pacific saurey. You can find em frozen in bait shops, it's like a mackeral but thinner. It puts loads of scent out and its more oily than macky but fresh macky is also great.

In my experience, black lug is like gold dust around here, everyone uses rag and if you know a shop thats selling lug you keep it quiet, LOL! You can dig it in Poole harbour but I'm lazy, Haha!

The weed can be bad at times and I think it gets worse on a W wind but it doesn't effect me too much as I fish heavy braid (60lb whiplash) straight through so no leader knot for it to collect on!

Favourite Rod
    The one that catches the fish :o)
    Favourite Reel
    The one on that rod
    Best Catch
    1lb 2oz Top Knot,54lb Conger.4.5lb Bream.
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from Southbourne beach took the lure rod down for a walk nearly ten bays were empty of swimmers so a quite a stroll.
    A bass of 1.5 lbs followed my popper onto the beach its back was out of the water i thought it would get stranded however it was off in a flash!
    A juvenile black headed gull thought he might have a go next followed by another then another by the forth every gull and tern in the area thought dinner was up and i had to stop for half an hour. I had another follow, a smaller fish less than a pound and then my 12hr night shift started to catch up with me.
    It looks nice and fishy down past the bistro. as its my night off tonight thinks i am up later for a couple of hours between 00.00 and 03.00 if i wake up that is should of got more sleep today.
    Mudeford/Avon beach has fished well for bream and bass for a while now by all acounts not that i have been over.
    Tommorows afternoon high might see a bit of gar on the fly up the groin at hengistbury

Interests
    Favourite Rod
    Favourite Reel
    Best Catch
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    The Lord of The Isles
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad says that groin at Hengistbury with a fly can be great for Bass and other species first thing in the morning.

Encouraging that Bass are following your lures right into shore.... I have no faith in lures as I have a few Rapala, I have had fish follow me right into shore, but not bite.

On a westerly one night I had all kinds of weed collecting on my leader knot, was almost unfishable for a half an hour spell. But using a 60lB braid line, surely you can't feel sole, dabs etc bite at all? Its heavy gear, but I see the benefit with weed.

I might try Southbourne again this weekend....

Bournemouth Angling Centre sells frozen black lug 4.99 for 10 I think, expensive stuff and I am not convinced its nearly as good as freshly dug lug. Ok the fresh lug are dead as soon as on the hook, but I think there is more of a smell in the water from the fresh, more blood.

WSF Hardcore Poster Hengist Hengalbury's Avatar

Interests
    TTs(cycling)fishing,football,fishing
    Best Catch
    18 10lb+ shore caught Bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had lots of good Bass from Southbourne.They can show anywhere along the beach on any particular day it does'nt matter that much.During the 80's i had lots of red letter days but it's a rare occurance now.But there's still decent fish about.I only fish it on tides in the early morning this is when it fishes best for Bass&it does'nt need to be rough either.As for bait Sandeel ,alive, fresh, frozen.Mackeral,smelt,squid,blennies-i guess what i'm saying is don't get hooked up that you must have a certain bait.The most important thing is TIDE.The Bass are usualy only there for 20-40mins then there gone.So just get up at a stupid time of the day armed with some decent fish bait&fish within 20yrds of the beach.If you do that a few times you'll be in with a good chance of some Bass.As long as you don't mind blanking a few times that is.Good luck!

WSF Hardcore Poster wetweatherwarrior's Avatar

Interests
    Lure fishing, Fishing, Kayak fishing, hunting, shooting, Bass Fishing, Photoshop, modding.
    Favourite Rod
    Dorset Fishing Rods 9' 6" 8-28g T Russel
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 6500i TSR and Shimano Rarenium
    Best Catch
    118 lb 12 oz y fin tuna , 6Lb 5oz Bass :)
    Favourite Fishing
    Lures
    Favourite Boat
    Ocean trident 13 anglerrrr
    Post Thanks / Like
    at about 10 am on bournemouth pier in sunny weather, you can see big bass and mullet pecking the under-pier collums , and occasionally have seen monsters up to around 10 lb ! but have NEVER seen anyone catch them ! i thought i might try spear fishing them as everything else fails. need some live sand eel me thinks lol...

about 4-5 years ago i was fishing there and was amazed to see the biggest bass i have ever seen, just swimming under the pier just out of reach.. ON THE SURFACE !

was huge between 10 and 15lb ! but have never seen a fish like that back again , might have been and true monster on its death bed ... not sure.
    Biggest Fish 118 Lb 8 oz yellowfin Tuna. But when i catch a double figure Bass, it will be a better prize.

Interests
    Favourite Rod
    Favourite Reel
    Best Catch
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    The Lord of The Isles
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

I think there are people fishing them and I think the Bass ambush the smaller fish there usually around high tide they come in. I fished there wednesday and didn't have any joy too many boats and swimmers about. But there were a few guys with rods fishing under the pier....

Fishing there at night you can see all kinds of fish jumping and swimming about under the pier lights, its a much more encouraging time to fish.

I think a lot of foreigners take undersize bass fishing under the pier which is a big problem there.

I am waiting for some serious low pressure and waves before I fish again, sunny days and fish not feeding destroys my morale.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast