Duh! Boat and Beach
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Orkney 21 "Predator"
    Post Thanks / Like

Scupper covers

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Does anyone have any natty designs for preventing water from entering scuppers from the outside?
    Sundog has 6" x 1" slots that are quite low to the water - they seem to let more water onto the deck than off it!
    THE VARNE BOAT CLUB member V85
    Fantastic facilities for launching trailer boats
    http://www.varneboatclub.co.uk/index.html

Interests
    Fishing, boats, fishing
    Favourite Rod
    One that cost £5 15 years ago
    Favourite Reel
    Quantum from USA
    Best Catch
    Tiger fish in Botswana
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Harley 25 "Rebel Runner"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gibberfish View Post
    Does anyone have any natty designs for preventing water from entering scuppers from the outside?
    Sundog has 6" x 1" slots that are quite low to the water - they seem to let more water onto the deck than off it!
    Mine has rubber flaps on the outside that let water flow out but water pressure from a wave outside presses the rubber against the hole and temporarily seals it to prevent inflow. Very effective. You can buy them ready made for round holes, not sure about slots but maybe.
    Eastern Solent Boat Angling - download "Angling Boats" book here:
    www.boat-angling.co.uk
    Twitter: @boatangling

Interests
    Fishing
    Best Catch
    200lb Marlin - on honeymoon in Mauritius
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Mitchell 31 Mk 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salar View Post
    Mine has rubber flaps on the outside that let water flow out but water pressure from a wave outside presses the rubber against the hole and temporarily seals it to prevent inflow. Very effective. You can buy them ready made for round holes, not sure about slots but maybe.
    Salar, are your scuppers quite high above the water line? I can see how they would work well above the water line, but if they were low down and at or below the waterline when the boat was loaded, then would they not simply float up when the boat was rocking on the drift or at anchor alowing water to enter?

Gibberfish, if your scuppers are very low to the waterline and are more for draining rainwater on your berth and drainging water when underway, then I would suggest either fixing a blanking plate with removable drain bungs or fixing simething like elephant trunks that can be raised or lowered as required.

Rob

Interests
    Duh! Boat and Beach
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Orkney 21 "Predator"
    Post Thanks / Like
    The scuppers are about 10" above water level (see photo) so I was thinking about some kind of flap arangement but I was wondering if anyone had any tried and tested designs.
    I am anxious not to fit anything too hideous!

Interests
    Fishing, Photography
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Smartwave 3500 / Venus 11
    Post Thanks / Like
    gibberfish - your boat looks superb! do you only have the one scupper each side - what about any drainage through the aft coaming? i'm guessing you have a weather-tight deck on that beauty? if so then you could actually do with a bit more scupper area along the side/transom (imho).
    The rubber flaps work reasonably well as long as they dont catch the water, with that hull i think they might.
    my opinion again, dont close off the scuppers - they have an important job to do!

Interests
    Fishing, Football, Tennents Lager
    Best Catch
    6 Boxes of lobsters from 200 creels
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Dawn Light
    Post Thanks / Like
    Salar's suggestion is your best option. If you live near a factory that uses conveyor belts for anything you can usually get some old rubber belting off them. I have seen the flaps fitted with thin metal strips at the top to stop screws/bolts pulling through the rubber. This method allows the flaps to stop much water coming into the boat from the outside while maintaining their ability to let water off the deck. Scuppers are designed to get water off the deck quickly to minimise the risk of 'free surface effect' which adversely affects the stability of your boat. Please ensure that whatever method you decide to use to minimise water coming onboard does not stop water getting off your deck back into the sea - it is important for the stability of your boat, and therefore your safety.
    ++__Save Liverpool Coastguard
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ignatures.html

The fight goes on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be possible to fix trap doors inboard, in sliders that could be deployed when at anchor/rolling, and fixed open when under way and at rest on mooring.

Interests
    Fishing, Football, Tennents Lager
    Best Catch
    6 Boxes of lobsters from 200 creels
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Dawn Light
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquabell View Post
    Would it be possible to fix trap doors inboard, in sliders that could be deployed when at anchor/rolling, and fixed open when under way and at rest on mooring.
    That is a successful method, but you must always remember to open them when steaming - a notice by your throttle/gear controls asking the question 'are scuppers open?' is a good idea if you decide on this method.
    ++__Save Liverpool Coastguard
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ignatures.html

The fight goes on!

Interests
    Fishing, boats, fishing
    Favourite Rod
    One that cost £5 15 years ago
    Favourite Reel
    Quantum from USA
    Best Catch
    Tiger fish in Botswana
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Harley 25 "Rebel Runner"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Salar, are your scuppers quite high above the water line? I can see how they would work well above the water line, but if they were low down and at or below the waterline when the boat ...

Rob
    The outlet and flap is right on the waterline. There is a dogleg drain and the deck is only a couple of inches above the waterline. I have never had water slopping in.
    Eastern Solent Boat Angling - download "Angling Boats" book here:
    www.boat-angling.co.uk
    Twitter: @boatangling

Interests
    Duh! Boat and Beach
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Orkney 21 "Predator"
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Quote Originally Posted by jonny250 View Post
    gibberfish - your boat looks superb! do you only have the one scupper each side - what about any drainage through the aft coaming? i'm guessing you have a weather-tight deck on that beauty? if so then you could actually do with a bit more scupper area along the side/transom (imho).
    The rubber flaps work reasonably well as long as they dont catch the water, with that hull i think they might.
    my opinion again, dont close off the scuppers - they have an important job to do!
    Thanks mate, I have done a lot of work on her and she is well sorted.
    The boat has two similar sized scuppers in the transom as well.
    One of the reasons that I chose this boat over say a Seaworker is the self draining deck and I am keen not to impair their function.
    Some kind of closure (shutter or bung) would work, but as you say I would need to remember to remove them every time.
    Flaps would be fully automatic but I need to come up with a reliable design. I think you are right, simple rubber flaps would catch on the water as she rolls.

I think I might need to make flaps that are recessed into a housing then bolt one over the outside of each scupper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast