WSF SITES | WSF WEB ZINE | WSF FORUMS | WSF GEAR SHOP | WSF ARCHIVES

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

SEARCH WSF

SHARE THIS THREAD:

Interests
    Fishing and buying Fishing tackle that I don't really need.
    Favourite Rod
    M4 Hi Flex Match
    Favourite Reel
    7HT Turbo
    Best Catch
    70lb Conger
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Shore fishing around Lymington, Hants

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Hi all,

My first time on this site, so please be gentle with me and I hope you can provide me with some good advice

I am a through and through coarse match angler, but do really enjoy a bit of sea fishing whenever I can, but living over 100 miles away from the coast has put a bit of a dampener on sea fishing.

Now that my folks have moved to the Lymington area, I now have the opportunity for weekend breaks down on the coast and am keen to really get into sea fishing.

I had a reccie down in Lymington last weekend and from what I can gather, Hurst Castle is a good bet. I notice that there are some salt marshes at the back of Hurst Castle, the Keyhaven Marshes, does anyone know if these are fishable, as I think it's a nature reserve and not sure if fishing is allowed? Also had a walk around Sturt Pond by the car park at Milford on Sea and it looked rammed full of fish, but again, not sure if fishing is permitted here?

Basically I'm looking for a bit of info regarding marks, methods, baits etc around the area. I'd like to have a go at some flatties, if anyone can reccomend areas that would be suitable, either beaches or estuaries.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Matt

Interests
    Miscellaneous
    Favourite Rod
    AFAW 13-4 Match / 13-10 Tournament Match/m4GT/majorcraft zaltz 9.6 8-28g
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 6500c3ct/shimano sustain 4000fd
    Best Catch
    10.25 & 15lb shore caught cod - same session. 10lb bass - on bait though...
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Lymington area

Hello Matt and welcome.

Although not rammed full of fish (where is!) there is reasonable sport to be had from this area. Most of the beach marks from west of Bournemouth to the Eastern end of the Solent fish well - some obviously better than others, to the usual tactics of bottom fishing. If you come from a freshwater background, you can hit the ground running by fishing a rising tide round the back of the castle (Hurst) or an ebbing tide along the Hurst shingle Bank, targetting Mackeral and Garfish whilst spinning, and the previous two along with the occasional Scad thrown in, if floatfishing. All will give tremendous sport on light gear. This venue however, has tidal races which make fishing nigh on impossible at certain states of the tide, so do pick those fishing times carefully. You need a period of calm settled weather and an evening tide is best - early mornings do work, but eves better.

A walk along the other beaches and chatting to locals will reveal other species, tactics and baits - also there are several local websites (solent guide) where info is available.

Flatties have been sparse in recent years - Lymington and Pennington marshes used to be a very good venue. Still plenty of Bass there but mostly smaller ones. Good sport, but catch and return is prefered.

Mullet are abundant here also, but not targetted too much - another top target for a freshwater angler looking for sport. Thicks respond to bait (bread) in the harbour whilst thins can be taken with a baited mepps along with bait.

Tight lines,
    Mart.

Interests
    Fishing, motorbikes,
    Favourite Rod
    TDPK 13M
    Favourite Reel
    Blue Elite
    Best Catch
    17lb Smoothhound, 12lb Thornback, 2lb 5oz Whiting, more sole than Woll in 2011 and 2012
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Any one with me in it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to the forum, I've not fished Lymington but I have Milford on sea.
    If you walk along the beach at low water you can see there is a sand/gravel bar about 80yards out from the high water mark.
    If you fish over the top of it at high water you can pick up doggies,bass and the odd ray at night on sandeel or crab.
    Fishing on the inside of this you will get the smaller species, like flatties etc.
    Rag is a good bait along with quality sandeels,crab or mackeral strips.
    Fishing is better at night (as is most places) and also you get a bit of freedom from the tourists.
    They used to hold regular matches along there so it may be worth popping into the local tackle shop and having a chat.
    Target for THIS AND LAST winter; a cod too big to fit in a carrier bag.

Interests
    Fishing and buying Fishing tackle that I don't really need.
    Favourite Rod
    M4 Hi Flex Match
    Favourite Reel
    7HT Turbo
    Best Catch
    70lb Conger
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's great, thanks for the info guys Am down there again at the weekend, so will take my carp rods with me and have a bash for the flatties or do a bit of spinning.......Also will probably try to find a space on a charter boat for a day.

Does anyone know of any tackle/bait shops in the area, as the only ones I can find on google are either in Southampton or Christchurch, hopefully there's one a bit closer to Lymington if anyone can help?

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Boat fishing, beach fishing, coarse fishing, starting to fly fish
    Favourite Rod
    Penn powerstix 15',Greys greyflex, powerstix pro braid 20/30
    Favourite Reel
    Penn 525 mag xtra,Abu cs mag 6500,Okuma Interceptor pro
    Best Catch
    4lb 4oz plaice, 15lb undulate ray, 4 3/4lb mullet,14lb turbo, 40lb conger
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a decent tackle shop in New Milton called Lonis. They sell fresh and frozen bait and can advise you about local marks. Highcliffe is quite a nice venue. I've caught rays there before. Easy parking and not too many dog walkers if you fish between the groynes. Steamer Point and Avon beach at Christchurch can be good as well at night. Lots of different species there and it's not necessary to cast too far out. The shingle bank is good on a small tide, fished last week and caught bream during the day. Weed bad for an hour but fine after the tide turned. Visit Christchurch angling for decent local info, ask for Tom.

Darren

Interests
    Fishing, motorbikes,
    Favourite Rod
    TDPK 13M
    Favourite Reel
    Blue Elite
    Best Catch
    17lb Smoothhound, 12lb Thornback, 2lb 5oz Whiting, more sole than Woll in 2011 and 2012
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Any one with me in it
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Dont forget to let us know how you get on, pics would be nice
    Target for THIS AND LAST winter; a cod too big to fit in a carrier bag.