Thread: Arvor 215

SHARE THIS THREAD:
    WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Quote Originally Posted by Shropfisher
    DIESEL Outboard !!! I like a man who enjoys a challenge, most companies have tried it and given up, power to weight ratio being main problem, by the time you get the power up the engines too big to go on the back.
    Petrol might be more expensive, but modern 4 styrokes are very economical ( if you control the urge to cross the horizon as fast as you can ) I think youve been fed a duffer on price, my marina charge £1.15 a litre, not that much more than most petrol stations. and you have all the benefits of petrol.
    I have actually seen diesel outboards used in a commercial role but I know very litle about them apart I am told from being very expensive.....As for the price of petrol I have just had it confirmed that it is actually £1.35 a litre so I was not far out!!...Check out the prices in the local garages in Burnham on crouch as it is £1.12 a litre there......I cannot see the benefits in a petrol outboard??....Just look at the amount of problems people seem to get on this forum alone.......Who in there right mind would choose an outboard against a VW or Yanmar inboard diesel in a modern say 20-25 boat?...Sorry electrics on an aboard and water just dont mix...If you are on a budget I can see the outboard option.....Even cascars rues the day he ever bought a boat with an outboard against the diesel option.
    Ron

Interests
    Boat Fishing on my QS640
    Favourite Rod
    MTI 20-40 Braid / MTI 15lb Offshore
    Favourite Reel
    All of my Avets!
    Best Catch
    2 x 75lb Yellowfin Tuna, 85lb Conger, 28lb Cod, 11.5lb Bass, 22lb Spurdog (Unofficial UK record)
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Quicksilver 640 Pilothouse
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have now had a look at the diesel version of my boat, Ron but have decided against it although I would have got almost what I paid for mine in trade in because I would lose all of my under deck storage and some deck space.
    In the winter I will be looking at possibly getting an LPG conversion to the outboard.

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice & opinions everyone, they were all very helpful. I spoke to Essex Boatyards who informed me that their Port Solent office had just got a 215as in. Popped down to have a look at it this afternoon & I must say I was very impressed! Thought the boat was very well laid out & liked all the features built in such as live bait tank, tackle & rod storage, etc so I think my mind is made up! Just need to make my mind up whether to go for the 215 or the 215as now!

TomBettle
    How much is the 215 Mike?

Is the klive bait tank rectangular or round?
    If it is rectangular it will be fine for shrimps / prawns etc, but next to useless for any school fish such as mackerel or sandeels... probably also far too small for these too.
    It will make a good store box for bits and pieces though.

WSF Regular Poster

Interests
    Fishing, boating
    Favourite Rod
    One that catches fish!
    Favourite Reel
    Irish Jig
    Best Catch
    I think the 'flu of 97
    Post Thanks / Like
    'How much is the 215 Mike?

Is the klive bait tank rectangular or round?
    If it is rectangular it will be fine for shrimps / prawns etc, but next to useless for any school fish such as mackerel or sandeels... probably also far too small for these too.
    It will make a good store box for bits and pieces though.

Nice try Tom!! Never say die is my motto too.

TomBettle

Take a look at the 655 and you would even consider one of the others.
    Blows them completely out of the water. You won't need a salesman to give you bull, it will sell itself to you.

Tom
    Otherwise

PS: Make sure you get a sea trial on your current first choice and see how she runs, but make sure you compare this to and alternative (maybe a 655? ) as there will be a big difference in handling and sea keeping.
    Last edited by TomBettle; 24-07-2006 at 07:19.

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Bait tank is rectangular , keeps live bait pefectly well as long as you keep pumping fresh sea water in , mackeral, sandeels , even whitting have been kept in mine , get yourself a sma;; bait net as catching the buggers again can be tricky........215 is a very good boat i have Navman electronics on both of mine and very pleased

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    boats and boat angling
    Post Thanks / Like
    used diesel outboards in Ireland years back down near Wexford. Couldnt hold a pint in the pub at nights cos my arm was still vibrating. Lots of noise, lots of vibration, not much power.

WSF Hardcore Poster Shropfisher's Avatar

Interests
    Power Kites & buggy, Kayaks
    Favourite Rod
    Any Spinning rod
    Best Catch
    17 lb 12 oz Rainbow. 31lb Ling
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    I have actually seen diesel outboards used in a commercial role but I know very litle about them apart I am told from being very expensive.....As for the price of petrol I have just had it confirmed that it is actually £1.35 a litre so I was not far out!!...Check out the prices in the local garages in Burnham on crouch as it is £1.12 a litre there......I cannot see the benefits in a petrol outboard??....Just look at the amount of problems people seem to get on this forum alone.......Who in there right mind would choose an outboard against a VW or Yanmar inboard diesel in a modern say 20-25 boat?...Sorry electrics on an aboard and water just dont mix...If you are on a budget I can see the outboard option.....Even cascars rues the day he ever bought a boat with an outboard against the diesel option.
    Ron
    Conwy Marina has just raised it's price to £1.19 per litre, but I get £0.02 discount on that. loads of advantages with Petrol outboards, if your looking at straight costs, calculate how much fuel you will use over several years, using average consumptions for each option and the differrance in cost for buying and servicing, You have to do some hours to break even, then to be totally fair add the cost of borrowing the extra, A guy 2 berths down from me in a Jenny with a big diesel inboard tells me he can't troll, as the enginre doesn't like it, oils up and causes problems, You say Electrics and water don't mix, I think Honda, Suzuki etc have thought about that, since most boats go inthe water at some time. Do you row and navigate by the stars !! thought not, so Electricity and water do work, I'm in the Marine Electronics industry, I can run a domestic computor underwater with no problems and seal a torpedo again the worst that can be thrown at it, so an outboard is a piece of cake. I do concede that bigger boats are designed for Diesel inboards, it probably starts around the 23 foot mark, In our marina the only people with any engine problems are the Diesel guys so not sure about " All the problems with Petrol " if there are 1000 guys with boats on this webb site, and 900 of them use outboards, and 3 guys with petrol engines have problems and one guy with diesel has a problem, does it mean petrol is 3 times more reliable ? No, actually Diesel is 3 times more trouble. statistics can prove anything you want them too.
    A Bad Day Fishing still beats a good day at work...

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

After having boats for the best part of 35 years,I would never again want to rely on an outboard as my main source of power,but to be fair I wouldnt want to be out too far out anyway in a boat smaller than 23ft!.....If you see some of them perform in our marina with there small boats I wouldnt want to be outside the marina with some of these people period....In fairness most of the breakdowns and problems are caused by the owners and not the equipment...I still wouldnt want another petrol engined boat though whatever the benefits people try to sell me....I was actually out (but only in the river)in my friends White Shark on Saturday,a lovely fast (30knt+) dory type fishing boat(I call it a Dory type anyway) but Jesus,£1.25 a Gallon and we managed to get rid of £60 in less than an hour!...His other boat is an Offshore 28 and that is 30knts+ and that runs on derv at only 6gals an hour at £2.50 Gal so you cannot tell me there are any savings to be made against the petrol version there!...Anyway I suppose once you have bought the big petrol outboard then you have to like it as I would of thought that in one way or another from new you either take the big loss on the resale or live with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast