WSF SITES | WSF WEB ZINE | WSF FORUMS | WSF GEAR SHOP | WSF ARCHIVES

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

SEARCH WSF

SHARE THIS THREAD:
    WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like

Tywyn Mid Wales and Aberdovey

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Fished the Tywyn north beach near Dyssini River daytime around low tide mid August 06. I had one bite and one fish a good size 3.5lb flounder. It seems as flounder go it is a good one. It rattled the rod a few times then nearly took the rod off the rest, so no indecision on a bite or not! Was using mackeral strip about 200yds away from the Dyssini. Fished an interesting little ridge with a gully the other side. Maybe 50 - 75 yards out. The fish seemed to arrive just after the turn on the way in. I did try the rough ground near the Dyssini, but after first cast hauled in a whole load of weed and was fed up with it and went back to the clean sand down the beach. Shame as it looks a good bass spot. I aim to get over again in the next few days and fish that area. How is it fishing at present? Any bass around? Or is it all flatties. Sounds like I did well to avoid the dogs. I will probably fish the daytime again although slower I know. May try some crab this time or sandeel. On the same trip I also fished the Roman Rd at Aberdovey at high tide daytime. Again mackeral strip quite close in, but no takes, a blank. It looks a nice bass spot. I will be trying that again maybe with some crab. However, the crabs down there were decimating the mackeral in no time, maybe I need to lift the bait up a bit off the bottom, give the fish a chance.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Shore fishing, Cardigan Bay coast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slippery customer View Post
    Fished the Tywyn north beach near Dyssini River daytime around low tide mid August 06. I had one bite and one fish a good size 3.5lb flounder. It seems as flounder go it is a good one. It rattled the rod a few times then nearly took the rod off the rest, so no indecision on a bite or not! Was using mackeral strip about 200yds away from the Dyssini. Fished an interesting little ridge with a gully the other side. Maybe 50 - 75 yards out. The fish seemed to arrive just after the turn on the way in. I did try the rough ground near the Dyssini, but after first cast hauled in a whole load of weed and was fed up with it and went back to the clean sand down the beach. Shame as it looks a good bass spot. I aim to get over again in the next few days and fish that area. How is it fishing at present? Any bass around? Or is it all flatties. Sounds like I did well to avoid the dogs. I will probably fish the daytime again although slower I know. May try some crab this time or sandeel. On the same trip I also fished the Roman Rd at Aberdovey at high tide daytime. Again mackeral strip quite close in, but no takes, a blank. It looks a nice bass spot. I will be trying that again maybe with some crab. However, the crabs down there were decimating the mackeral in no time, maybe I need to lift the bait up a bit off the bottom, give the fish a chance.
    Sure that wasn't a turbot?? That mark does turn up a few. A 3.5 flounder is a very good one for this area - either way, a nice fish

Avoiding crabs and weed is difficult in the estuary. Try seaward from the pier, dusk onwards, on the smaller neaps over slack high, with black lug as bait. All sorts possible - including weevers so be careful!

Cheers - John
    Welsh Shore Species 2009: 40; 2011 onwards, I'm going to chill out more LOL!
    http://www.geologywales.co.uk/storms

WSF Hardcore Poster sallysludgebucket's Avatar

Interests
    FISHING !
    Favourite Reel
    I love em all !
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the site slippery customer, great report as well ! Good to hear whats going on down that way, I am trying to decide on somewhere to nip off for a two day session.

Know how to prevent sagging?
    Just eat till the wrinkles fill out.
    Website dealing with yet another flood we suffered, thanks to all for the assistance.

King of Kings

Interests
    sharks,wrexham football
    Favourite Rod
    one i got
    Favourite Reel
    one i got
    Best Catch
    6lb thornback ray,7lb cod
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink hello

welcome to the site nice fish good report too.shaggy

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome. Will be along to post some more. Sounds an idea fishing from that Aberdovey pier. I have only ever crab fished from it! Some evening fishing off there around slack tide could be interesting when all the crowds have gone. I have often seen large fish moving around the pier.

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Any definite way to tell the difference between flounder or turbot? After looking at lots of pics on the web still cannot decide! thanks.