3lb 5oz Ballan wrasse 3.17lb (lure) Bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Speed
    Post Thanks / Like

Hardback crabs

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Would a de shelled hardback work just as well as a de shelled peeler or do peelers give off more of a scent ?

WSF Lite Poster

Best Catch
    52lb 3oz mirror carp, 21lb 11oz pike, 8lb 10oz smoothhound, 6lb 8oz cod, 5lb bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

hard backs

as far as i know mate if you was to use a hardback crab as bait if you deshell it all you find inside is its guts and lungs nothing that would attract any fish a peeler on the other hand is soft and gives of a scent that smells lkike aniseed which attracts fish. i've often wondered though why ive found hardbacks in the stomach of bass and cod. I personally think they have become an accidental victim when the fish has eaten them whilst feeding on whatever the crab was feasting on. whats other people viewS?

Interests
    living life to the full
    Favourite Rod
    Diawa Supercast
    Favourite Reel
    Shimanno baitrunner
    Best Catch
    too many
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    warrior 165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firthy View Post
    as far as i know mate if you was to use a hardback crab as bait if you deshell it all you find inside is its guts and lungs nothing that would attract any fish a peeler on the other hand is soft and gives of a scent that smells lkike aniseed which attracts fish. i've often wondered though why ive found hardbacks in the stomach of bass and cod. I personally think they have become an accidental victim when the fish has eaten them whilst feeding on whatever the crab was feasting on. whats other people viewS?
    I disagree big time, I've caught countless fish with belly's full of crabs, it seems in my experience cod, bass etc like 10 pence piece sized crabs the best.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Best Catch
    Bass 10lb 14oz
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batenberg View Post
    I disagree big time, I've caught countless fish with belly's full of crabs, it seems in my experience cod, bass etc like 10 pence piece sized crabs the best.
    Could not agree more i was finding so many hardbacks in bass guts that i had to give it a go,on my 3rd try had my first 2lb 5oz its a matter of just getting the right size crab and there are ways to stop them hiding themselves in the sand

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    shore fishing
    Favourite Rod
    Century C M Carbon Metal
    Favourite Reel
    abu multipliers
    Best Catch
    Pauline my wife
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Jensen Sea Charters+■Supreme II - Rhyl
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree i have heard of loads of cod espesialy having crabs inside + bass most flounders have them in as well in fact a 5lb 6oz bass i had last mounth spat one out about the size of an 50p coin tried them but no sucsess well worth a try though

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Fishing, Getting my weekly pay from work, spending it on rubbish, and doing it all over again!
    Best Catch
    15kg/33lb Pike
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batenberg View Post
    I have to disagree with both of you. I don't think they "accidentally" pick up the wrong food, they know EXACTLY what they are looking for. I was speaking to a fisherman about it last night actually, and he was going on about a program, a skate hovering over 100's of spider crabs, and amongst these was a soft shell spider, and he picked it right up. Like a needle in a hay stack, they know. So I dont think they accidentally eat something, just because WE don't think its right.

And also about the 10p size crabs, that too, I have to disagree with, in my experiance, the size of the bait doesn't matter at all, I caught the smallest bass yesterday on a sandeel the size from the bottom of your palm to the tip of your fingers. it was liturally inches smaller than this bass. I've used Big peelers, Medium size, and small size, and they all work the same. and come on lets face it, when it goes on the hook it looks NOTHING like a crab then, so im pretty sure they're not fussed about the size of it.

Also.....it's just an opinion.
    I'd Rather Be Hated For Who I Am, Than Loved For Who I Am Not - Kurt Cobain

I'm Worse At What I Do Best, And For This Gift, I Feel Blessed - Nirvana

They Ushered In A New Age Of Music, One Of The Best Bands That Ever Came Along.

WSF Hardcore Poster bristol_boy's Avatar

Interests
    Fishing, Shooting,Rugby
    Favourite Rod
    BLACKROCK
    Favourite Reel
    abu
    Best Catch
    conger 60lb, cod 10lb bass 4lb flatty 4lb whiting 3lb pollock 19 10oz thorny 12.5lb blondie 26 1/2lb
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    SPOT-ON Brixham
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink hardbacks

I use hard back crabs all the time. I just crush them up and whip them to the hook. Cought loads of fish with hard backs. .
    I've also cought fish with hard backs still alive in there mouths some times the size of your hand.
    I also use them live I pull the claws off and most of the legs leaving one on one side and two on the other the put the hook just though the back. Then they hop about but can't dig into the sand. Realy good for bass and wrass.
    TIGHT LINES
    http://www.spot-on-charters.co.uk

WSF Regular Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    bristol boy what size hook do you use and what size crabs. when u say you crush them up do you kinda make them into a sort of paste?

Interests
    Catching And Eating Fish
    Favourite Rod
    Daiwa Supercast RGF,My DIY Bass rods
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Ultegra XSA, XT, Navi xsa
    Best Catch
    13lb8oz Cod - 6lb Bass (Both Shore)
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Fisheries Protection Vessel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just smash them and put on a bait needle then whip with elastic, the same as Mussells, they give off more scent than a peeler but don't last so long because they get washed out quicker,so change bait regularly, most fish will eat Crab
    3 x Shimano XT Ultergas for sale, see East section

WSF Hardcore Poster bristol_boy's Avatar

Interests
    Fishing, Shooting,Rugby
    Favourite Rod
    BLACKROCK
    Favourite Reel
    abu
    Best Catch
    conger 60lb, cod 10lb bass 4lb flatty 4lb whiting 3lb pollock 19 10oz thorny 12.5lb blondie 26 1/2lb
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    SPOT-ON Brixham
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Quote Originally Posted by dpuk44 View Post
    bristol boy what size hook do you use and what size crabs. when u say you crush them up do you kinda make them into a sort of paste?
    Hi I use crabs the size of about golf ball. I use a pair of rose bush cutters and cut them 3/4 of the way straight down the middle. Then twist the crab. Then pull a leg each side and put the hook through the sockets and then whip it on. If I am using live I use a small/medium circle hook. Depends of the size of crab.
    TIGHT LINES
    http://www.spot-on-charters.co.uk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast