SEARCH WSF

SHARE THIS THREAD:
    WSF Hardcore Poster

Best Catch
    19lb cod, Worlds End, Tilbury
    Post Thanks / Like

Isle of Wight fishing spots

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Leaving sunny Essex for a week at Shanklin on the Isle of Wight, any info on fishing spots, bait, species etc would be handy. Taking 1 x Zippy for beach & 1 x light rod for spinning / float fishing. Is bait easily available!

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    fishing horseracing
    Favourite Rod
    anything that catches
    Favourite Reel
    anything shimano
    Best Catch
    28 lb common carp.... 11. 9 oz smooth hound...5 lb bass...19 lb conger ..boat
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have fished Shanklin a few times and it is my favourite spot on the island.As you go down the hill the beach on the right is good for sole but watch out for weavers that are present on this sandy beach.If you go down the hill ....park at the bottom bear to your left walk 200 yds to the concrete groin and fish the other side .When the tide comes in it is quite deep water.Sandy with flattened rocks to your right.Not bad for bass and the occasional small conger.Bait I get from the tackle shop in Ryde run by Drew Garret (i.o.w.bass) tel 07563779319 I found him to be very knowledgable ......bait TOP NOTCH...and a pleasant chap.Hope this is of some help to you.Pete.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Best Catch
    19lb cod, Worlds End, Tilbury
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petertheporter View Post
    I have fished Shanklin a few times and it is my favourite spot on the island.As you go down the hill the beach on the right is good for sole but watch out for weavers that are present on this sandy beach.If you go down the hill ....park at the bottom bear to your left walk 200 yds to the concrete groin and fish the other side .When the tide comes in it is quite deep water.Sandy with flattened rocks to your right.Not bad for bass and the occasional small conger.Bait I get from the tackle shop in Ryde run by Drew Garret (i.o.w.bass) tel 07563779319 I found him to be very knowledgable ......bait TOP NOTCH...and a pleasant chap.Hope this is of some help to you.Pete.
    Peter, thank you for the info' i will post a report daily i hope if allowed. Staying at a B & B about 5 mins walk from the beach, night fishing any good down there.

Alan

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    fishing horseracing
    Favourite Rod
    anything that catches
    Favourite Reel
    anything shimano
    Best Catch
    28 lb common carp.... 11. 9 oz smooth hound...5 lb bass...19 lb conger ..boat
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roker1 View Post
    Peter, thank you for the info' i will post a report daily i hope if allowed. Staying at a B & B about 5 mins walk from the beach, night fishing any good down there.

Alan
    As long as the tide is coming in you will catch.Go down there at low tide and have a look....impressive bit of beach...you won`t lose any tackle on those rocks.I envy you ...lovely place the island.Pete.

Interests
    All types of fishing, PFC and beer
    Best Catch
    10lb Undulate - St Catherine's Breakwater, Jersey. 12lb 3oz Common Smut - Elmer
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the bay hasn't been netted to death, night fishing should give you sole and rays - fishing pretty much in front of the pub at the south end of the beach is worth a shot. Also, but probably best in daylight, you could try the ledge right at the southern end of the beach - low tide only but access into deeper water. Not fished it myself but been told that you can expect wrasse, bass and, if floatfishing, pollack, mackerel and garfish. Don't forget to give Sandown Pier a go - fish baits on the bottom for bass and turbot.....

Cheers

Kev
    2014 species count - 18: ballan wrasse, bass, black bream, blenny, corkwing wrasse, dab, garfish, mackerel, plaice, pollack, pout, red mullet, rock cook wrasse, rockling, shad, sole, starry smoothhound, whiting.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Rod
    zziplex t zero.......zziplex 4500s
    Favourite Reel
    abu
    Best Catch
    all shore, 40lb conger,30lb+ stingrays, 12lb10ozpainted,12lbthorny and 19 bass over 10lb
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

shanklin end of sandown bay has fished ok of late,

daylight should see wrasse,odd plaice,bream,turbot and the chance of bass , maybe a ray if theres colour in the water

night time expect sole, pout and maybe a conger added to the list .........outside chance of a codling as well

keep your fingers crossed the netting situation isnt too bad

well worth a try is horseshoe ledge at the far end of shanklin esplanade, good chance of bass on lures and a top conger mark during darkness .....low water period being best, but ALWAYS keep an eye on the incomeing tide !

the "stinkpot" carpark at the start of shanklin esplanade does also offer good fishing at times , with the bonus of allowing fishing from the comfort of your car

bait wise, ragworm for the smaller species and this tyime of year mackerel,squid etc for the larger fish..........

a nice pout could tempt a big bass or conger

good luck