QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

SEARCH WSF

SHARE THIS THREAD:
    WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

advice on very rought ground

I live in the south coast right on the sea front. I usually fish the clean ground beaches in brighton, but this year am determined to go east of the marina and fish the really rough rocky ground.

I need advice on how to fish the rough stuff, it's all rocks and snaggs but teh rocks hold alof of prawn and crab etc so seems the ideal ground to fish some large mackie filliets or big worm baits... But all i can see is me losing all my line & tackle ? Is it as easy as a rotton bottom ?

Maybe a pully rig ? Could I free line big baits would they be heavy enough to sink ?

Ahhhhh anyone help me out ?

Interests
    Catching And Eating Fish
    Favourite Rod
    Daiwa Supercast RGF,My DIY Bass rods
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Ultegra XSA, XT, Navi xsa
    Best Catch
    13lb8oz Cod - 6lb Bass (Both Shore)
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Fisheries Protection Vessel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you see others fishing there?, might be wise to go and have a chat with them,if not use rotten bottoms, finer hooks like nordic bends will straighten out of snags plus weaker than mainline hook snoods will help you losing your rigs, pulleys only work if you actually have a fish on,

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not many others seem to fish there I believe a few have.....
    I guess Ill have to give it a go but once you go light on the sinker and the snood what have you got left of your rig if both come off ?
    I was thinking of literally having a hook on the end of my leader and using shot to weight the line to try and keep it down ? What do you reckon ?

Interests
    Catching And Eating Fish
    Favourite Rod
    Daiwa Supercast RGF,My DIY Bass rods
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Ultegra XSA, XT, Navi xsa
    Best Catch
    13lb8oz Cod - 6lb Bass (Both Shore)
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Fisheries Protection Vessel
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you do that you will end up snapping your rod m8, getting snagged breaks a lot of rods so going light in the areas I said earlier will help,if you are after Congers then light won't work as you will need to bully them from the snags,why not fish beside the snags,look at low tide to see what's there,

Interests
    fishing family fishing
    Favourite Rod
    deepends what type of fishing im doing
    Favourite Reel
    love my avets and everol and accurate reels
    Best Catch
    A diver at chesil
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    RNLI lifeboat
    Post Thanks / Like
    would defo b worth going down to the area at low tide with your camera and takeing pics or film of the area at low, so u know whats underneath the waterline at high.
    as meanstreak stated you have to fish smart when rough ground angling, loseing a lead is ok when fishing rough ground , prefer to lose a lead than get snagged up with an angry conger on the end.

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Rod
    various century
    Favourite Reel
    abu/penn
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    its really simple to fish the rough.

go in the tackle forum and ask there how to use a rottem bottom. someone there might be able to put up pics or a diagram for you [i cant].

you have to be prepared to loose a lead a chuck at times.

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a few different versions of the running paternoster which I find one of the best methods for rotten bottom. Have a look here for a few ideas. One of the reasons I like the running paternoster is that the hook is directly attached to the mainline/shockleader and not to the lead. If you have a fish on and the lead snaggs the fish will not be tethered to the snag
    You need to ask yourself is it worth all the hassle you are going to have to fish this mark, how likely are you to be able to get fish out of it and what you hope to catch. Alternatively you could try a float or a bit of spinning, neither of which are totally snag free but might give you some indication of what is there. If you just want conger and huss you will have to go the heavy tackle way an accept that you will lose loads of gear even if you are using the rotten bottom systems. They are only any good if it is just the lead snagging.

Generally short hooklengths and single hooks will also help minimise snagging.
    Dirty Water... the trials of an exiled angler
    The wanderings of Baitdigger

"Perfection consists not in doing extraordinary things,but in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well

Interests
    Fishing,shooting,gundogs
    Favourite Rod
    HSM/PrimoMatch/Daiwa Powermesh
    Favourite Reel
    7HT ST/Mag/Turbo-ABU TSR
    Best Catch
    19lb bass...Oh hold on that wasn't me!!!!
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexangler View Post
    Not many others seem to fish there I believe a few have.....
    I guess Ill have to give it a go but once you go light on the sinker and the snood what have you got left of your rig if both come off ?
    I was thinking of literally having a hook on the end of my leader and using shot to weight the line to try and keep it down ? What do you reckon ?
    There are many that fish along there mate and some good advice given, with rough ground there will be losses but it also holds fish so there is always a trade off. Have you thought about lures at all? Worth taking a look in the lure forum

Given your location have you thought about a session with Fishyrob? He certainly doesn't need me promoting him, but actually a session might just give you a good insight into the area and how it fishes.
    2012-Ting-Slug 3-Slug 5-Dab-LSD-Pout-Flounder-Plaice-Herring-Schoolie-Bullhead-Sandeel(On feathers)-Pollock-Eel-Mackerel-Common smoothound-Thornback-Sole-Starry pup-Gurnard-Codling
    2011-Dab-Flounder-bass-Ting-pout-Slug-LSD-Plaice-Silver eel-Smut-Common eel-Starry smoothhound-Sole-Mackerel-whitebait (foul-hooked but having it)Sunday sofa fish.....

Support the WSF Let's Tackle Cancer Charity Auction

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Cheers peeps I did indeed think of fishy rob and have pM'd him but his services are a bit sort after and im guessing a two man local trip aint gonna be high on his priorities (which I understand) im thinking that bass are going to be in and amongst the rocks looking for there natural bait..... Crabs prawns etc....
    Thanks for the link on the rigs