WSF SITES | WSF WEB ZINE | WSF FORUMS | WSF GEAR SHOP | WSF ARCHIVES

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

SEARCH WSF

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

SHARE THIS THREAD:
    WSF Hardcore Poster Wight Huntress's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Commercial Inshore fishing... Fish Wiped out!

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Last week I took a group of regulars to a reasonably well know mark to target Rays, we had a few while we were there and here's a nice picture of these three all caught at the same time, biggest was 26lbs..3blondes.jpg
    All these three fish we returned in the spirit of 'Catch and Release'. The anglers were delighted with their catch and equally happy to watch these magnificent fish swim away,,,

So then I expect you can understand how absolutely furious and gutted I was to hear that shortly after this trip a commercial boat set tangle nets on the same bank and caught approx 100 Rays!!!
    The result has now completely destroyed that mark now!!!
    What chance do we have???
    Another example, last year we were sole fishing, a local commercial boat started trawling all around us, in front, to the sides and behind us, so close... within 10 yards of my boat!!!

I for one do not feel sad when I hear that Commercial inshore fishing is on the decline, the sooner the better as far as I am concerned, the effect and damage to the sea and fish stocks that it has is so disproportionate, its about time someone stood up and voiced the reality!

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Fishing and football
    Favourite Rod
    Diawa tdx
    Favourite Reel
    Abu 7000
    Best Catch
    17lb cod, 16lb pollock, 40lb conger
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Warrior 175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wight huntress, I agree 100% with you. I have absolutley no sympathy for these guys. I am sure I am not the only 1 to see what is happening. These guys are making fishing almost pointless with the amount of fish they take. Not only this they destroy the sea bed and take every immature fish with it. They then have the cheek to moan that fish levels are low and try to blame pleasure anglers for the lack of fish. These people also think they have the right to the sea as it is their living. Us pleasure anglers are expected to get out of their way when it suits them and think nothing of fishing within feet of your boat. Like you say the sooner they are out of business the better is all I can say. Mind you I dont eat fish so it is probably easier for me to say this, but it is a joke!!!!

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Rod
    Daiwa PLU
    Favourite Reel
    Penn Mag 970
    Best Catch
    2 x 68lb Tope; 13 lb Thornback; 15 1/2 lb Bullhuss; 11 lb Pollock;
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    The same happened in Cardigan Bay some years back. We regularly used to catch many rays into double figures until the inshore brigade did their worst. Not had a single ray in the last 8 years !!

Interests
    Aerobic drinking & horizontal jogging
    Favourite Rod
    Grey's PZ Match, Alba Rods 6' 6" hand-built 12lb
    Favourite Reel
    525 Supermag (shore), Sealine-X 20 SHV (shore or boat); Everol Vertigo VJ12; Avet SX 6/4
    Best Catch
    Anything edible
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Katie Ann, Weymouth: Paul Davies, top skipper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any of the anti-commercial brigade care to explain to everyone who enjoys fish but can't fish for their supper themselves, what they're supposed to do?

Or is it only charters and RSAs who should be allowed to fish?
    The difference between fishing and angling

Fishing is what some of us do, we go out and we catch fish.

Angling is what some other people do. They'd like to catch fish but claim all the commercials have already caught them

I thought I saw your name on a jar of marmalade yesterday, then I realised it said: THICK CUT

WSF Hardcore Poster Wight Huntress's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by codhead View Post
    Any of the anti-commercial brigade care to explain to everyone who enjoys fish but can't fish for their supper themselves, what they're supposed to do?

In MY view, YES, the finances are totally in favour of supporting anglers... massively so!

There are plenty of other sources of obtaining/supplying fish to eat, inshore commercial industry supply less than 5% of all fish eaten in UK!

---------------------------------------

And in reply the the previvious question...

These banks are not tangle netted at this time of year as a matter of course,
    What happens is that commercials need to have their ear to the ground and finger on the pulse, if they see or notice some charter activity on certain marks then they will know by experience what is being caught and then they go and clear it out for their own commercial reasons.

What is a 20lb Blonde Ray worth to a commercial fisherman? £5-£10 at a guess? It's a fish of a lifetime for many anglers!

Interests
    Fishing, Sailing, Snowboarding, Fast bikes, Fast Fish
    Favourite Rod
    24m Vissers Den Helder/Kenzaki
    Favourite Reel
    Maaskant 20 Ton/Avet JX
    Best Catch
    26 Tons of Scallops/44lbs Dorado
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Vissers 24M/Merry Fisher 925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wight Huntress View Post
    Last week I took a group of regulars to a reasonably well know mark to target Rays, we had a few while we were there and here's a nice picture of these three all caught at the same time, biggest was 26lbs..3blondes.jpg
    All these three fish we returned in the spirit of 'Catch and Release'. The anglers were delighted with their catch and equally happy to watch these magnificent fish swim away,,,

So then I expect you can understand how absolutely furious and gutted I was to hear that shortly after this trip a commercial boat set tangle nets on the same bank and caught approx 100 Rays!!!
    The result has now completely destroyed that mark now!!!
    What chance do we have???
    Another example, last year we were sole fishing, a local commercial boat started trawling all around us, in front, to the sides and behind us, so close... within 10 yards of my boat!!!

I for one do not feel sad when I hear that Commercial inshore fishing is on the decline, the sooner the better as far as I am concerned, the effect and damage to the sea and fish stocks that it has is so disproportionate, its about time someone stood up and voiced the reality!
    Hi mate,

How many times have you fished the mark since you heard the netter had been there, and how did it fish?

"It was sad to hear that there are large areas in Luce Bay that are just left with dogfish and whiting........"

http://www.kirkmaidennature.org/page16.html

SSACN Member (oops sorry, not, I was rejected)

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    Fishing! Walknig, sailing, cooking
    Favourite Rod
    Depends what I'm fishing for
    Favourite Reel
    Depends what I'm fishing for
    Best Catch
    Boat: 800lb marlin, 13lb bass, 25lb pollack shore: 25lb permit (all on lures or flies)
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Hilda Maud, an Orkney 23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by codhead View Post

In answer to your question, I believe that we are approaching the point at which we have to decide who provides the biggest economic benefit to UK plc and what the consequences are.

Already it is a fact that RSAs provide more to the UK economy than commercial fishermen. How long before we take the route that the Floridians took in the US of banning netting in inshore waters, so as to allow an RSA based fishing fleet?

Maybe not a popular move but with the will this could be achieved, after all the Atlantic Salmon guys have bought off most, if not all, of the salmon nets around Scotland.

I don't want to take away anyone's living but it seems to me that to buy off the commercials now and not allow new ones to replace them is the way to go. Now guys are we going to put our hands in our pockets now or just whine about it forever?

Just a thought.

Interests
    Favourite Rod
    Favourite Reel
    525 Supermag (shore), Sealine-X 20 SHV (shore or boat); Everol Vertigo VJ12; Avet SX 6/4
    Best Catch
    Anything edible
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post

Already it is a fact that RSAs provide more to the UK economy than commercial fishermen.
    Just because someone puts "fact" in a post doesn't make it so. Where are the figures to back up this "fact" and what was the methodology used in determining the conclusion?

Angling is what some other people do. They'd like to catch fish but claim all the commercials have already caught them

I thought I saw your name on a jar of marmalade yesterday, then I realised it said: THICK CUT

Interests
    Fishing, Sailing, Snowboarding, Fast bikes, Fast Fish
    Favourite Rod
    24m Vissers Den Helder/Kenzaki
    Favourite Reel
    Maaskant 20 Ton/Avet JX
    Best Catch
    26 Tons of Scallops/44lbs Dorado
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Vissers 24M/Merry Fisher 925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    In answer to your question, I believe that we are approaching the point at which we have to decide who provides the biggest economic benefit to UK plc and what the consequences are.

Already it is a fact that RSAs provide more to the UK economy than commercial fishermen. How long before we take the route that the Floridians took in the US of banning netting in inshore waters, so as to allow an RSA based fishing fleet?

Maybe not a popular move but with the will this could be achieved, after all the Atlantic Salmon guys have bought off most, if not all, of the salmon nets around Scotland.

I don't want to take away anyone's living but it seems to me that to buy off the commercials now and not allow new ones to replace them is the way to go. Now guys are we going to put our hands in our pockets now or just whine about it forever?

Just a thought.
    Could be a plan, I know of 2/3rds of the shares in one individual Boat/Licence/Quota which changed hands recently for North of £40 Million, so I hope you have pretty deep pockets.........

Could you provide some facts to back up your value argument, obviously it's a nice buzzy soundbite, but is their any real meat on the bones.........not arguing either way but is there anything to back it up..........

"It was sad to hear that there are large areas in Luce Bay that are just left with dogfish and whiting........"

http://www.kirkmaidennature.org/page16.html

SSACN Member (oops sorry, not, I was rejected)

Interests
    Favourite Rod
    Favourite Reel
    Best Catch
    Anything edible
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Quote Originally Posted by Wight Huntress View Post
    In MY view, YES, the finances are totally in favour of supporting anglers... massively so!

There are plenty of other sources of obtaining/supplying fish to eat, inshore commercial industry supply less than 5% of all fish eaten in UK!

---------------------------------------

And in reply the the previvious question...

These banks are not tangle netted at this time of year as a matter of course,
    What happens is that commercials need to have their ear to the ground and finger on the pulse, if they see or notice some charter activity on certain marks then they will know by experience what is being caught and then they go and clear it out for their own commercial reasons.

What is a 20lb Blonde Ray worth to a commercial fisherman? £5-£10 at a guess? It's a fish of a lifetime for many anglers!
    So, you would willingly trade the <10m inshore fleet against the >10m offshore fleet, despite any number of reports showing the <10m inshore fisheries to be more sustainable?

About 35 boats, private, charter and a couple of rod & line commercials were on The Shambles yesterday, not a trawler in sight but if that continues, the turbot will really take a hammering. Who are you going to blame then?

Do you throw a hissy-fit when you find a mid-channel wreck has been netted or do you simply do what the skippers I fish with do and find another wreck?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast