SEARCH WSF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SHARE THIS THREAD:
    WSF Hardcore Poster

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Warning - Thiefs operating in Dorset

To remove this advert please register for a free account

Hi all,

Prompted by the nice weather, I have just done my first 24hr/overnight session of the year.

The session went well, with 8 carp from 6lb up 22lb7oz.

The only thing that ruined the whole session was, theifs were about.

The were about 8 other anglers at the lake, and one had already mentioned that the weekend before someone had tried to lift some of his gear during the night, but was scared off when the bite alarm went off. He found his landing net dumped about 100 yrds away, with another guys tackle bag....

But Friday night it seems a team of theifs were on the prowl, and rods, tackle bags and other bits of kit were taken.

They had targeted anglers that had set up alone in secluded parts of the lake complex and agained access via/over near by fields, under cover of darkness, around 2 or 3am.

The group I had with me was lucky, we were near a well light area (near the toliets) and had opted to have two people awake all night. We hadn't seen anyone walking around through the hours of darkness.

However, for several fishing alone, in the darker areas and were zipped up in the bivies they were easy targets.

One angler lost over £500 worth of rods and reels!!!! Another lost rods, reels, net and tackle bag costing over a £1000!!!! Others had had small thing taken like tillies, bags, nets, coats and shoes, anything left outside their bivies. The police were called in, but little could be done. The police said they felt that this may have been kids/youths or animal people against fishing as a sport... but also warned us that some professional thiefs are also using extreme violence and even taking the vicums car as well as all their high value Carp fishing kit!!

This summer the police are going to be working with local angling groups to operate "stinger" operations around the country to try to catch these professional thiefs of carp angling equipment.

The police advise going with a group of friends, camping close together and staying alert, especially at night. The Police are also advising still water lake fisheries owners to have their bailfs patrol randomly at night.

Just thought I would give you the heads up if you are fishing in Dorset over night or anywhere for that matter

Cheers

Bodders
    Last edited by Bodvoc; 25-03-2012 at 11:09. Reason: spelling mistake

Interests
    Fishing, Sea, coarse and game. Bit of volleyball, tennis, footie
    Favourite Rod
    the one that connects me with the fish
    Favourite Reel
    as above
    Best Catch
    163 kilo bronzie, 108 lb male common skate, 135 female common, 19 lb 7 oz salmon 23.5 lb pike
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    ALI-G after my son
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys, get an old ghetto blaster type alarm and set up a perimiter using the alarm and some nylon, anyone disturbing the line will activate the alarm, failing that a shed alarm is very similar. Other anglers will hear the alarm go off as well, so get up shouting ' thieveing bas+++ds ' and maybe they will aid you in chasing off would be offenders or beating the **** out of them, whichever suits best at the time ..........

WSF Hardcore Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by happypiker View Post
    Hi Guys, get an old ghetto blaster type alarm and set up a perimiter using the alarm and some nylon, anyone disturbing the line will activate the alarm, failing that a shed alarm is very similar. Other anglers will hear the alarm go off as well, so get up shouting ' thieveing bas+++ds ' and maybe they will aid you in chasing off would be offenders or beating the **** out of them, whichever suits best at the time ..........
    I can't condone the violence , but a proximity alarm or motion detector sounds like a good idea.

I have strung up empty beer tins with some small stones in on fishing line (about waist height, so foxes don’t trip them) before now.

My normal trick if I am fishing alone at night is a 3million candle lamp and a compressed air horn.. Blind then B*****ds with the lamp, deafen them with the air horn, and watch as they fall in the water trying to run away….

Interests
    Favourite Rod
    Favourite Reel
    as above
    Best Catch
    163 kilo bronzie, 108 lb male common skate, 135 female common, 19 lb 7 oz salmon 23.5 lb pike
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    ALI-G after my son
    Post Thanks / Like
    ha ha, so yoiu just gonna blind them and then make them bleed via the ear before going deaf.....yep.......so much better than a good kicking lol....nice one

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    fishing horseracing
    Favourite Rod
    anything that catches
    Favourite Reel
    anything shimano
    Best Catch
    28 lb common carp.... 11. 9 oz smooth hound...5 lb bass...19 lb conger ..boat
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to take my fox terrier / jack russell.....he could hear anyone coming miles away...and protect me. Pete.
    Last edited by petertheporter; 27-03-2012 at 00:35. Reason: BAD SPELLING

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys, get an old ghetto blaster type alarm and set up a perimiter using the alarm and some nylon, anyone disturbing the line will activate the alarm, failing that a shed alarm is very similar. ..

And then the thieves beat the crap outa ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodvoc View Post
    I can't condone the violence , but a proximity alarm or motion detector sounds like a good idea.

I have strung up empty beer tins with some small stones in on fishing line (about waist height, so foxes don’t trip them) before now.

My normal trick if I am fishing alone at night is a 3million candle lamp and a compressed air horn.. Blind then B*****ds with the lamp, deafen them with the air horn, and watch as they fall in the water trying to run away….

Quote Originally Posted by petertheporter View Post
    I used to take my fox terrier / jack russell.....he could hear anyone coming miles away...and protect me. Pete.
    They'll kill yer Pooch and then the thieves beat the crap outa ya.

Perimeter alams might be OK, but you need to be a little more decisive gentlemen.

"Gentle anglers sleep soundly in their Bivvies safe in the knowledge that bad men will visit justice upon those that would seek to harm them" (Misquote of a misquote accredited to Orwell)

This is one particularly effective "Bad Man" perimeter defence system.

US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg
    A good reel is like a good woman...
    If she treats you right, you take care of her, treat her like a prize even when she doesn't look so good anymore.

On the other hand, if she does go wrong, you throw her away, and pick up the flashiest cheapo you can find at the moment.

You never stop fishing, of course

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has it occurred to anyone that the culprit just may be another angler.
    A good reel is like a good woman...
    If she treats you right, you take care of her, treat her like a prize even when she doesn't look so good anymore.

On the other hand, if she does go wrong, you throw her away, and pick up the flashiest cheapo you can find at the moment.

You never stop fishing, of course

WSF Hardcore Poster

Interests
    fishing horseracing
    Favourite Rod
    anything that catches
    Favourite Reel
    anything shimano
    Best Catch
    28 lb common carp.... 11. 9 oz smooth hound...5 lb bass...19 lb conger ..boat
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibizaphil View Post

They'll kill yer Pooch and then the thieves beat the crap outa ya.

Perimeter alams might be OK, but you need to be a little more decisive gentlemen.

"Gentle anglers sleep soundly in their Bivvies safe in the knowledge that bad men will visit justice upon those that would seek to harm them" (Misquote of a misquote accredited to Orwell)

This is one particularly effective "Bad Man" perimeter defence system.

US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg
    Prophet of doom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interests
    Favourite Rod
    Favourite Reel
    as above
    Best Catch
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    ALI-G after my son
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibizaphil View Post
    Has it occurred to anyone that the culprit just may be another angler.

And your point is.....they are still thieving ba***rds, whether anglers , bailiffs or junkies looking for cash for a fix.
    The reason i said to come out shouting is that other anglers will hopefully come to your aid and maybe scare the would be thief's away.

Seriously guys, if there is a spate of thefts from your area or lake then have a chat with others who are fishing locally and just let them know to listen out and you will do the same for them...............

WSF Hardcore Poster

Post Thanks / Like

To remove this advert please register for a free account

ha ha, so yoiu just gonna blind them and then make them bleed via the ear before going deaf.....yep.......so much better than a good kicking lol....nice one
    Yep, and as you never actually touched them, they can't claim GBH

Normally by then, if anyone is within a few 100 meters or so of you, "Bad A**" anglers included, it's normally enough to scare off the thugs..

and on a good note .. Had a great days fishing today, 12 Carp, between 6lb and 25lb, and a 30 or 40lb bag of Bream, Rud and Roach..

Met a really nice chap on the next peg, who is going to help out on our next night session... He is 6'8" (OMG), third Dan and a Superintendant in the Dorset Police Force...

Originally Posted by happypiker. I said to come out shouting is that other anglers will hopefully come to your aid and maybe scare the would be thief's away.

Seriously guys, if there is a spate of thefts from your area or lake then have a chat with others who are fishing locally and just let them know to listen out and you will do the same for them...............
    Good advice.. tell anyone fishing at night / dusk near you about they protential problems of thiefs in the area, and make lots of noise if you think an attack/theif is happening, even if you think you are alone, someone may hear.. If you are wrong, so what, it is better to be safe than sorry

Most thiefs, even violent ones, are no more than cowards.. like School Bullies, Just Chicken 5h1ts.. if the had grown a pair when young they would of been real men, and got a job.. or joined the Army.. ! But an easy target/way to make money is their choice.. time to tell them that the Real Men are ready for them.............. And doing it Legally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast