WSF SITES | WSF WEB ZINE | WSF FORUMS | WSF GEAR SHOP | WSF ARCHIVES


QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members



SEARCH WSF


Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 90 of 90

SHARE THIS THREAD:
  1. #81
    WSF Hardcore Poster excel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,942

    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Interests
    Gutting Fish
    Best Catch
    25o lb blue marlin 64lb conger 22lb hound 15lb 6oz 8drms bass
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Cygnus Cyfish 420hp.
    Post Thanks / Like

    To remove this advert please register for a free account

    Quote Originally Posted by juanpablo View Post
    Wavy have you ever experienced the mantas snapping in the shank? Have had a few do this over recent years. They seem too rigid. Your thoughts?
    Yep , seem to be over hardened. They snap easilly even on thornbacks.

  2. #82
    WSF Hardcore Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    386

    Location
    Swansea
    Favourite Rod
    Zziplex Profile
    Favourite Reel
    Abu Sportsmag
    Best Catch
    12lb Smoothhound; 50lb Conger; 11lb 6oz Bullhuss; 40lb Tope; 8lb 8oz Bass; 19lb Undulate Ray
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Cheetah Cat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I stopped using them! Had begun to wonder whether I just had an iffy batch and was surprised that no-one seemed to talk of these issues... quite like the varivas wide gape from veals. Super sharp, lovely wide gape, strong but springy.
    2012 - Species so far:-

    Cod, Whiting, Thornback Ray, Spotted Ray, Dogfish, Ling, Pollack, Coalfish, dab, starry smoothhound, common smoothhound, black bream, bullhuss, mackerel, Plaice, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard,

  3. #83
    Team Rig Maker Vas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,735

    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Interests
    a bit of this and a bit of that
    Favourite Rod
    Blue one
    Favourite Reel
    Silver one
    Best Catch
    An electric iron at pendine, just need to catch an ironing board now
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Rocking the Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juanpablo View Post
    Glad I stopped using them! Had begun to wonder whether I just had an iffy batch and was surprised that no-one seemed to talk of these issues... quite like the varivas wide gape from veals. Super sharp, lovely wide gape, strong but springy.
    Here is a thread I started on Sakuma's a while ago

  4. #84
    WSF Hardcore Poster Wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    107

    Location
    Swansea
    Interests
    my wife Vicky, fishing
    Favourite Rod
    Zziplex
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Torium 14
    Best Catch
    133lb blue shark (boat) Tope 44lb 8oz (Shore) Bass 15lb 8oz (Shore) Small Eyed Ray 12lb 12oz
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Celtic WildCat
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tope

    Regarding the question on manta hooks ; I must say I haven't but I only use the xtra s for larger fish the standard are to springy they would open out .

  5. #85
    WSF Hardcore Poster nickipontyberem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    310

    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Interests
    fishing photography beachcombing
    Best Catch
    every fish ive caught !
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok so my reel has arrived the bloody thing is huge ! it says on the box its a trolling reel ??? i hope i aint made a mistake buying it i aint planning on casting with it so i hope it wont make a difference it just the same as my old ambassudaaur reel just on a way bigger scale it looks like a shark reel !!!! i only payed 20 qiud for it on ebay was really cheap in my view was a birmingham tackle shop so i dought they get much call for trolling reels there lol ok so i now have my rod reel set up with 30 ld line and the drag is set to just before my rod locks up and wont bend any more ok now onto my leader im planning on using a 60 pound leader and 150 ld trace all mono for the time being i have brought size 8/0 circle hooks which seem to be made out of some strong gauge wire ! there supprisingly sharp for a hook of this size ! my next hurdle is rigs i been reading but cant seem to find a rig for a live bait flatish i feel this will be the way to go on cefin sidan as if they are there they will be feeding on flat fish yes so im stuck on rigs now any one know any way i could keep the flattie from burring itself in to sand ??? or any better rigs for deadbaits ????

  6. #86
    WSF Hardcore Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,097

    Location
    Powys
    Interests
    Shore fishing, Cardigan Bay coast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fancy another crack at this down at Borth. I've caught a few baby tope there in July some years, so it stands to reason that adult fish are in the area. The bury bait/walkback tactic sounds quite feasible, especially in the early hours of the morning when you have the place to yourself, if there's no weed on the move.

    Carl Worrall and myself tried up north of Tywyn last June, because the kayak lads get a few quite close-in around there, but a double-figure bass made off with my whole mackerel fillet bait - not that I'm complaining or anything! - and then the dogfish arrived followed by the weed so we bailed.

    Large circle-hooks sound sensible. When I used to crew on the charter boats at Aberystwyth decades ago the tradition was to hit them on the second run but deep-hooking did sometimes occur. Years later I tended to fish headless baits (softer) with big hooks and hit them straight away - most hooked-up fine.

    Cheers - John
    Welsh Shore Species 2009: 40; 2011 onwards, I'm going to chill out more LOL!
    http://www.geologywales.co.uk/storms

  7. #87
    WSF Hardcore Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,523

    Location
    Swansea
    Interests
    Metal detecting fishing
    Favourite Rod
    A bent one
    Favourite Reel
    the one with line still left on it
    Best Catch
    I ate that
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Sealine (GB) 19-Length: 6.30 m (~ 20.67 ft) Beam: 2.35 m (~ 7.71 ft)1 cabin(s) 1,240kg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
    When I used to crew on the charter boats at Aberystwyth decades ago the tradition was to hit them on the second run but deep-hooking did sometimes occur. Years later I tended to fish headless baits (softer) with big hooks and hit them straight away - most hooked-up fine.

    Cheers - John
    2 good Points made?
    The Tope will run 2 times still working its catch down its throat..
    Nailing to late causes Mortality rates to rocket
    with deep hooking occuring.
    -------------------------------------
    I taught every1 i showed to also nail early, ie first 5 to 7 seconds if possible, and this can result in losing some fish and did on times with me... But i would rather try early n nail its mouth than guts....if anything at all..

    You refer to headless softer baits? softer so as in the tope can turn it much faster, n hook setting occuring earlier?

    Must say i like that idea... and also see it working well..
    big hook.
    ----------------------
    From the boat???

    And how i showed guys to catch em??
    i always removed the back bone,
    keep the head on and elastic it back up,
    back bone and tailless to soften it and aid the nailing faster from my boat.

    Force me first big hook via mouth to tail end and elasic it along body outa-side top
    and top pennell hook is 1 inch behind head forced thru mouth...pointing forward tho. Big 10/0 j to make sure..
    elastic mouth shut.
    Thers lots of doggy and bull huss also working below with the tope so found this way helped keep em off soemwhat n preset well still to tope.....
    Dog infested area mind..

    i set the hooks the normall way about.. n maccy is no longer upside down on me snood.

    I would set it upside down on a beach tho.
    Just a thought?

    Anybody got any ideas as to why set upside down from a beach?
    well from a boat you are dropping down your bait n can empty a bucket of maccy in 2 hours...with many tope bashing away n you trying to nail em early...

    So you have lots of chances..
    Doing this from a beach i just think will be best to set bait other way around..
    As you have limited chances.. and rear facing them hooks will help...

    Maccy upside down on the snood/? Seeing as mr shark is swallowing head first??

    Any thoughts.. other than 28lbs drag hehe.
    Thanks fella..
    Kind regards
    Luggy..

  8. #88
    WSF Hardcore Poster nickipontyberem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    310

    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Interests
    fishing photography beachcombing
    Best Catch
    every fish ive caught !
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like

    double figure bass

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
    I fancy another crack at this down at Borth. I've caught a few baby tope there in July some years, so it stands to reason that adult fish are in the area. The bury bait/walkback tactic sounds quite feasible, especially in the early hours of the morning when you have the place to yourself, if there's no weed on the move.

    Carl Worrall and myself tried up north of Tywyn last June, because the kayak lads get a few quite close-in around there, but a double-figure bass made off with my whole mackerel fillet bait - not that I'm complaining or anything! - and then the dogfish arrived followed by the weed so we bailed.

    Large circle-hooks sound sensible. When I used to crew on the charter boats at Aberystwyth decades ago the tradition was to hit them on the second run but deep-hooking did sometimes occur. Years later I tended to fish headless baits (softer) with big hooks and hit them straight away - most hooked-up fine.

    Cheers - John
    thats a thought that never passed my mind large bass and turbut are present at my chosen mark too not just a tope that might pick up my bait then !

  9. #89
    WSF Hardcore Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    386

    Location
    Swansea
    Favourite Rod
    Zziplex Profile
    Favourite Reel
    Abu Sportsmag
    Best Catch
    12lb Smoothhound; 50lb Conger; 11lb 6oz Bullhuss; 40lb Tope; 8lb 8oz Bass; 19lb Undulate Ray
    Favourite Fishing
    Boat
    Favourite Boat
    Cheetah Cat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't offer much help with the live flounder or dab bait as not a method I have seen used. Most people simply take a fillet off the back of the fish roll it up and hook it on. May need a small amount of elastic. Like u say this will match the hatch but also keeps the dogfish at bay. The bait doesn't have to be enormous. Remember a single launce makes a superb bait aswell. Your sausage fillet will only be the length / size of a fat launce. Also, there are lots of sand banks off cefn sedan so launch may be a viabLe bait, if the doggies don't sniff i t out.
    Similar story about matching the bait to the venue. When in jersey fishing for the tope had a lot of problems with pouting and bream destroying the mackie baits. Then the skipper explained that the reason the tope were there is because of all the bream. Tried bream live and dead baits and absolutely worked a treat. The congers and Huss loved it aswell. Best thing was the bream is so tough that the pout couldn't destroy it!


    Quote Originally Posted by nickipontyberem View Post
    ok so my reel has arrived the bloody thing is huge ! it says on the box its a trolling reel ??? i hope i aint made a mistake buying it i aint planning on casting with it so i hope it wont make a difference it just the same as my old ambassudaaur reel just on a way bigger scale it looks like a shark reel !!!! i only payed 20 qiud for it on ebay was really cheap in my view was a birmingham tackle shop so i dought they get much call for trolling reels there lol ok so i now have my rod reel set up with 30 ld line and the drag is set to just before my rod locks up and wont bend any more ok now onto my leader im planning on using a 60 pound leader and 150 ld trace all mono for the time being i have brought size 8/0 circle hooks which seem to be made out of some strong gauge wire ! there supprisingly sharp for a hook of this size ! my next hurdle is rigs i been reading but cant seem to find a rig for a live bait flatish i feel this will be the way to go on cefin sidan as if they are there they will be feeding on flat fish yes so im stuck on rigs now any one know any way i could keep the flattie from burring itself in to sand ??? or any better rigs for deadbaits ????
    2012 - Species so far:-

    Cod, Whiting, Thornback Ray, Spotted Ray, Dogfish, Ling, Pollack, Coalfish, dab, starry smoothhound, common smoothhound, black bream, bullhuss, mackerel, Plaice, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard,

  10. #90
    WSF Hardcore Poster alex1frearson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    448

    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Interests
    Fishing, buying fishing kit, hiding bought fishing kit and bank statements from missus!
    Favourite Rod
    ZZiplex HSM, Century Kompressor SS
    Favourite Reel
    7HT MAG and Saltist 20H
    Best Catch
    17.2lb Common Smut
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    titanic
    Post Thanks / Like

    To remove this advert please register for a free account

    The british record shore tope was caught on flounder, the tope tht are close in shore during novemer time are close in because they are after one thing when te mackerel have moved off shore.
    Two reasons flounder are good for bait, one is theres no mackerel about at that time of year so a tope will go for whats natural which is flounder, two i fished last night and to test a thery i had over twenty doggies on every bait i could cast out! Not a sniff on the four fresh flounder baits i put out!
    Dont know much about tope fishing but these are the things i do know!
    Alex
    Tight lines
    Alex

    Go big or go home!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •