WSF SHOPPING - LURE FISHING SHOP | RODS | REELS | HOOKS | RIG BITS | LURES | LINES | SHORE RIGS | BOAT RIGS | LUGGAGE | MORE

QUICK LINKS - Forum Home | Member Blogs | Photo Albums | Social Groups | Friends | Members

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    WSF Hardcore Poster The Malt Man's Avatar

Favourite Rod
    Greys GRX-S
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Exage 4000RB
    Best Catch
    10lb Tuna, 5.1/4lb Salmon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonga View Post
    What's the difference between the Penn 525 Supermag Xtra & Penn 525 MAG XTRA? How do these reels compare to the new saltist reels?

Thanks
    Gonga, wooky's explanation of the difference between the mag xtra and the supermag xtra is much better than Penn's explanation but I thought you might want to read what Penn have to say anyway.

http://www.pennfishing.com/products_...els/mag-reels/

I bought a 525 mag xtra last week from the GAC. It was a combo deal, buy any greys beach rod and get the reel for 50.
    To buy the mag xtra on it's own is 115 to buy the supermag on it's own is 150 so the 35 difference you see is correct.

I wondered about the price difference too, but didn't realise that the supermag has 8 magnets and upgraded bearings as wooky has suggested. The 2 extra magnets that come with the mag xtra are simple to fit, although I havn't changed the bearings yet.

hope this is of some help.

Spot on wooky for your superb explaination of the 2 reels and finally putting my curiosity to rest
    2011 fish list

Sea - Pollack, Goldsinny Wrasse, Flounder

River - Pike, Salmon, perch, Brown Trout

WSF Hardcore Poster Gary Caulfield's Avatar

Favourite Rod
    Rod Stewart
    Favourite Reel
    Eightsome Reel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Malty, who do you think wrote the EXACT explanation that wooky quite rightly (and for the umpteenth time!) quoted?
    Gary Caulfield

www.erskine.org.uk
    Caring for Veterans since 1916

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers for the info!
    I'm interested how do they compare to the new high speed saltist reels on casting distances?

Interests
    The odd round of golf, building the odd rod or 2 and occasionally fishing
    Favourite Rod
    Century TTR
    Favourite Reel
    Penn 515
    Best Catch
    My wife... Couldn't put her back cos she'd swallowed the hook!
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't take the credit... It was originally posted by Gary Caulfield, when he worked for Penn and I've copied and pasted the answer into so many threads about Penn 525's and their differences - the full post can be found here in the Beginners and Improvers Section

Cheers for the info!
    I'm interested how do they compare to the new high speed saltist reels on casting distances?
    Dunno, splash the cash, buy one of each and let us know
    Please Search the Forums before asking a question.

PhD Rods for all your custom rod builds, rebuilds & repairs.

WSF Hardcore Poster migthyminnow's Avatar

Interests
    fishing,climbing,drinking
    Favourite Rod
    Mustad Vikingsurf116
    Favourite Reel
    Abu5500,525 mag
    Best Catch
    2lb plus flonder(bin lid)
    Post Thanks / Like

Reely?

So would it be cheaper to pay 35 extra for a Supermag or just source 2 extra mags from penn and some ceramic bearings to suit from a bearing suppliers? I thnik we all know the answer to this question! I have 2 mag extra's 4 mags only and ceramic bearing from a bearing suppliers. Admittedly I am best the greatest caster but personnally I can cast further and with more control with my 525's now than I ever could with my 6500.

WSF Hardcore Poster David Caulfield's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by migthyminnow View Post
    So would it be cheaper to pay 35 extra for a Supermag or just source 2 extra mags from penn and some ceramic bearings to suit from a bearing suppliers? I thnik we all know the answer to this question! I have 2 mag extra's 4 mags only and ceramic bearing from a bearing suppliers. Admittedly I am best the greatest caster but personnally I can cast further and with more control with my 525's now than I ever could with my 6500.
    Just to be clear.

The 525 Mag Xtra has4 magnets fitted, the 2 spare magnets & bearings packs, and sliding control.

The 525 Supermag Xtra has the 8 magnets fitted, ceramic ABEC 5 bearings, and the rotary control

Interests
    Fishing, casting, being by the sea
    Favourite Rod
    Tip Tornado boron,TTGP,TTSM, ultralite & SRE. M4 (shhhh), Excalibur C and prot J curve
    Favourite Reel
    515mag2/Saltist30H
    Best Catch
    12lb Spurdog shore
    Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers for the info!
    I'll going to get a Saltist soon, but for its power, I'm lead to believe they cast as good as a SLosh but that means they wont cast as good as my 525s and no where near my 6500s. But I am getting one as a heavy duty shore reel, NOT a distance reel.

So to round up on distance, 6500s then 525s then bringing up the rear Saltist.
    Power, reverse the order.

It all depends on what you need. Best all round would be the 525.

Jim
    SPECIES 2013
    Codling
    Spur
    LSD
    Thornie

Your allowed your opinion but mines still the best

WSF Regular Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Again thanks for all the info, looks like I'll be getting the 525 super mag extra & I've managed to find somewhere that sells them for 130 delivered!

WSF Hardcore Poster

Favourite Fishing
    Shore
    Favourite Boat
    Ocean Trident Prowler 13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imo its mostly a marketing exercise. Sorry DC.

Even the standard mag is still an excellent reel and can be had much cheaper.

Its just that worm of doubt that creeps into the mind that convinces people they should go for the next model up, and then the next and then the next.

The one thing i'd say is that the 525 mags keep there value exceedingly well, so trading up doesnt need to be as financially painful as first appears.

WSF Hardcore Poster The Malt Man's Avatar

Favourite Rod
    Greys GRX-S
    Favourite Reel
    Shimano Exage 4000RB
    Best Catch
    10lb Tuna, 5.1/4lb Salmon
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Caulfield View Post
    Malty, who do you think wrote the EXACT explanation that wooky quite rightly (and for the umpteenth time!) quoted?
    Gary I was unaware that it was you that originally wrote the explanation (superb one at that) but if wooky hadn't posted it, then I would still be in the dark re. the difference.

Wooky, if your going to the meet at Scotstown in June, would you mind showing me how to use mine lol...
    2011 fish list

Sea - Pollack, Goldsinny Wrasse, Flounder

River - Pike, Salmon, perch, Brown Trout

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast