1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

525 S Mag full overhaul 17/11/09

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by curry, Nov 17, 2009.

1. curry

curry Member

Good evening!

I have just returned home after 4 months at sea and decided to do a full overhaul of my 525 before I start my winter fishing season. I thought I'd put up a guide of how I did it in case anybody fancied having a go at doing theirs. By the way you can click the pictures below so that they will become bigger so you can see them better.

I highly recommend that you have a copy of the reel schematic before you start and get all the tools and oils etc together.

Get yourself some lighter fluid (or similar):

[​IMG]

and some grease:

[​IMG]

and some de-greaser (or similar):

[​IMG]

and some Rocket Fuel :showoff:

[​IMG]

I also used some waterproof chain oil on the handle bearing and the spool drive bearing.

Firstly by following the schematic and disassemble everything and lay it out nice and tidy so you can see everything. I recommend you lay it out in an order so that you know where everything goes like I did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next put the spool bearings to soak in lighter fluid for about 30mins or so until you are happy that all the oil and rubbish has dissolved:

[​IMG]

Once the bearings have soaked, remove them and put them on some dry kitchen paper in a warm place until they are TOTALLY (AND I MEAN TOTALLY) dry:

[​IMG]

Whilst the bearings are soaking you can clean all the parts using de-greaser and a bit of WD-40 so they are nice and clean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER THE BEARINGS HAVE COOLED (if you dried them on the radiator like I did). The bearings need to be oiled using the rocket fuel by putting 2 or 3 drops onto the top face (while they are laying on the dry paper) and you will be able to see when the oil has soaked in as it will appear on the paper.

Put the bearings back into the spool and re-assemble it. When you are reassembling the rest of the reel make sure that all moving parts are oiled and greased nicely. Especially pay attention to the gears and bearings.

Just a few useful notes: When you remove and put back the circlip thats on the drive end of the spool, be very careful as it has the tendency to spring off. You can place your hand over it to stop this from happening. I found out the hard way and spent an hour looking for it :cry:

Also when you re-assemble the clutch parts make sure they are very clean and dry to prevent you loosing your reeling power if you get a nice cod on :1a:

Sorry its not an in depth guide, but I am happy to answer any questions anyone has and will help you out as much as I can.

I am going to go for some casting tomorrow to make sure the reel is working OK before I go fishing on Thursday morning for the first time in AAAAAGES. Can't wait!

All the best!

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. OHTer

OHTer Smut Hunter

Piece o' P...P...P....P...Cake :thumbs:
    Thanks, nice job :yeah:

4. John_Dory

John_Dory Member

nice work there fella, have always been tempted to strip my reels down but im a bit of a potcher and would end up with a bag of parts like you get in them flat packs from ikea!!! lol.

5. KentMatt

KentMatt Member

Curry - great post, having seen all them parts i now know the full value of a good local reel service centre!!!!!

For us mere mortals next time you do the bearings could you do a picture step by step guide to getting at and removing the bearings, this would be mega handy mate as the instructions provided with the mag xtra are technical gobldy gook to idiots like me but i would like to be able to fit the abecs provided and be able to do a basic bearing clean and oil.

Cheers for a really usefull post!

6. curry

curry Member

No worries parkwarden, always happy to help my fellow beach anglers. Yea I will be doing the spool bearings again after about 10 or 12 sessions so I will do another guide.

Wanted to go out casting today to test the reel but we have strong onshore gales and heavy rain here:blink:... not the best conditions for setting up my reel. Will see how the weather changes throughout the day.

7. KentMatt

KentMatt Member

Thanks mate, the weather is no better here in kent today!! Glad to see this post has been made a sticky i am sure many members will find it very usefull.

Matt

8. OHTer

OHTer Smut Hunter

Sprung bearing puller (particularly usefull for the left side plate on 525s,sloshes etc) and the tools required to make it :thumbs:
    DSC00065.jpg

9. curry

curry Member

Thanks for the reply OHTer :clap:. Yea that is very useful as well.

Cheers :clap:

10. GMacP

GMacP Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  11. LOOSE GOOSE

LOOSE GOOSE **72**

if you pull a reel apart , lay it out as it comes apart then take a picture on your mobile or camera then you have a refrence as to which order it goes back in :bounce:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. matchman

matchman Member

Reely good job!! nicely explained and well presented offering, just one thing to add, not critisism by any means, just an addendum on an alternative to bearing treatment, cleaning in lighter fuel is great but a mere soak is not enough, i whittle a piece of dowel to the inner race size and gently spin the bearing under a full inch of l/fuel, this ensures that any grease/oil/clag is well and truly brocken down and washed out, dry out in the manner you stated, finally because some of the bearings fitted are of the sealed/semi sealed variety ,i place them on a spoon filled over and above the bearing top with the favoured oil, gently heat the spoon from below by candle or low gas flame,(do not boil!) watch for the tiny stream of air bubbles coming from the bearing cover plates to stop ,then remove from flame and leave the whole shebang to cool naturally,dry out on the paper towel and refit. ( do not replace the bearings whilst warm!) This method ensures that oil fully penetrates the bearing seals and into the inner races,just dunking them in oil does not always guarantee that.
    This obviously does not apply to abec quality ceramics! hope this is usefull,cheers, mick.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  13. curry

curry Member

Thanks a lot Mick. Great addition there. This is great info for everyone. Cheers again matey.

:clap2:

P.S. What type of engineer are you? I am a marine (maritime) engineer. Maybe we could learn things from each other?

14. KentMatt

KentMatt Member

very usefull mick, this thread has some really usefull tips.

15. KentMatt

KentMatt Member

This refers to a full strip down rebuild of a 525:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/525-s-mag-full-overhaul-17-11-09.215898/

To change the bearings:

Only the two inboard bearings in the spool affect spool rotational speed. While the shaft itself rotates in a pair of bearings, these bearings do NOT effect spool speed, only coming into play when the spools is under load, ie retrieving a fish.

1/ To gain access to the spool bearings loosen the three screws in the left hand endplate and remove

2/ Now remove the spool and spindle

3/ Lift off the white clicker cog to reveal the LH bearing

4/ Remove the bearing

5/ The drive end

6/ Remove the circlip then lift out the clutch plate (stop sign) to access the RH bearing

http://www.planetseafishing.com/tutorials/read/penn-525-mag-slidy/

WITH THANKS TO WOOKY114 FOR THE ABOVE

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  16. KentMatt

KentMatt Member

The ceramic bearings wont really give you miles more distance off a beach but it is a noticable on a field.

Take off the left hand end plate and lift out the spool.

Place a screwdriver gently under the (WHITE) plastic gear and lift it off - the bearing will come out by itself.

On the other end of the spool, take off the retaining circlip and then take remove the bearing.

Put the ceramics on and re-build in reverse order.

I think thats everything from memory.....but if I got something wrong please correct me - I'll do a photo job one day and post it up when I get the chance.

WITH THANKS TO BREAD FOR THE ABOVE

17. wooky114

wooky114 Member

18. SatelliteBeachBum

SatelliteBeachBum Member

Check out AlanTani.com. This guy has an amazing website with step by step instructions for reel repair and maintenance on just about every good reel out there. Tight lines everybody!

19. tangles

tangles Member

Love this thread, might be tempted to mine soon :clap:

cheers!! :thumbs:

20. lowwa

lowwa Member

Great job! thanks from Italy tooooo!:bye1::bye1:.

j have only a suggest about cleaning products, for bearings you can use gasoline corrected, you buy it for 2 or 3 Euro by chemist's shop. It's very used during casting competition, so dont worry.
    Besides, after cleaned, you can burn the berings to competly dry it and completly remove the gasoline corrected.
    Gasoline corrected is good also for ceramic bearings too:marinheir:bye1::bye1::bye1::bye1:

21. MadKev

MadKev Member

If your town is awash with druggies, the very nice lady at the free needle exchange will supply syringe and needle to get the oil inside the rubber seal on bearings, just push it down the side of the seal.

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor