1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A thin mono line :) - or line(s) requirements doubts' alleviation for a sea newbie...

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by butterfly_tm666, Apr 18, 2012.

1. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

Dear All,

Well,,, it all seems to be quite different from the inland spinning... And hither another dilemma as for the rig. Please correct me if I would be aiming anything stupid though ;)

Main line: 30lbs mono
    Shock leader: 50 or 60lbs mono

The connection between main and leader can be a knot - no issue with this one.
    Question 1: Is connecting leader and main lines with a swivel a good idea?

Now we are moving to the rig part :D So I'll keep the stuff simple: one hook pater noster and mayhap so called 'ave maria' hybrid with the float above the main line/shock leader swivel <see q1> in addition to the main bait hook.

Question 2,3,4:
    2. What is happening @ the leader /rig boundary? 3. Should I put there another swivel? 4. Does the line strength change? I ask because for inland fishing I was using some weaker than main line to minimise the line loss in the case of fish fighting too arduously.

Question 5:
    Or mayhap should I ledger hooks directly from leader <but it does sound irrational even to me <Imight be wrong again ;> > .

Thanks for your help with this
    Tomas
  2. karlos

karlos Member

Hope the above makes sense
  3. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

Thanks a million Karlos. It makes perfect sense,

I have got two plain weights so far 5 and 6oz as some gratis in the local tackle shoppe. The rod is certified to cast up to 4-8oz so your suggestion on 70-80 lbs leader makes sense. And yup initially difficult ground - rocks, cliffs and reef for the first escapade thus according to what I read 30lbs main line was recommended well the guy in ye tackle shoppe advised me as well.

With my best wishes
    Tomas
  4. weepete

weepete Member

Hi Tomas,

Just to expand a bit,

Q4 - Does the line strength change?
    A - The rig body line needs to be the same as the shockleader as Karlos has already said, however you can connect a section of weaker line to the lead (called a rotten bottom) if you use a rotten bottom clip. The clip attaches to the end of your rig body line and hangs the lead off it so there is no strain on the weaker line during the cast, but will realease on impact with the water or bottom, releasing the section of weaker line. This means that should your lead become snagged you can snap the weak line and get yor rig and hopefully a fish back.

Your snoods (length of line that is attached to the hooks) can also be of a different breaking strain. The main consideration when deciding thish will be what species you are after as some fish with shap teeth can fray thin line or bite you off.

Another thing to think about with rough ground fishing is using hook that will bend out, it's not allways a good idea but hooks like blue aberdeens or Nordic bends are soft and can bend be straightened with sufficient pressure. This means that if you get your hook snagged you'll be able to bend them out and retrieve your lead and gear. This is a bit of a balancing act though, as you don't want to bend the hook when a fish is on!

Q5 - Should you attach hooks directly to the leader?
    A - No, there is an exception to every rule but for general beach work tie up separate rig bodies and attach your hooklength to that as Karlos has described above. Clips help with quick changes or double patting.
  5. terminalmonkey

terminalmonkey Member

6. terminalmonkey

terminalmonkey Member

7. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

Thanks a million terminal monkey - this was extremely helpful. Using the office printer for the book of rigs :] Still prefer to read a hardcopy version. Yes I realise that two free weights are not much as before the departure I gonna knot like at least 6 rigs and go to a tackle shop in the nearby village for more if I run out of 'em :)
    Certainly I shall try the rotten if only I lose one rig just because of weight stuck but'll see.
    Surely I am going to experiment a lot in the very beginning. There is reported and supposed to be sea bass and turbot in the area amongst others and I'll be there right before bass's spawning period. The rod and one of reels arrived today and on Saturn's day I am going for the more main and leader line. On Sunday starting knitting ;) and next each day evening 1 rig until the departure Friday :]
    I think I shall need a landing net and/or a gaff as well as the net I am using atm is sooo unportable.

With my best wishes
    Tomas

P.S.
    Gee am soooo excited - as that little boy back to the day :D
  8. baitdigger

baitdigger Member

Sadly you are going to lose a lot of tackle, thats all there is in Clare nasty rocky tackle eating ground:cc_surren
    what part are you fishing north south or West??

PS if you want any help from the natives of Clare dont let them see you carrying a gaff, a drop net would serve you better and dont forget the bass closed season runs from May 15th to June 16th. It is an offence to actively fish for bass during that period
  9. baitdigger

baitdigger Member

If it is mick from the shop in Fanore he doesnt play people but he likes to build up customer relations. There is no choice as there are no other tackle shops for miles so he knows people will come back. He knows the area well and generally gives good advice. He also does the best frozen bait in Clare
  10. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

On around the may-day week I'll be fishing around south-west Dun na nGall and yup Clare it is going to be for the rest of the year I guess :) and the west of Clare to be more precise :D I live in Inis so I liked the areas of Ennistimon, Lisdoovarna and Ballyvaughan the most so would say the northern Burren - would say north-west to my current location.

Yea I know checked out the regulations already in addition a bag limit is 2 fish 40cm+ for 24 hour period. And one can neither sell nor offer for sale.

With my best wishes
    Tomas

P.S.
    What's the story behind that gaff 'prejudice'?
  11. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

I got those in Tierneys on Abbey st. in ennis from some elderly man -do not have momory to names <I would have forgotten mine if not the driving license>. And yup I know the shoppe in Fanore as I stopped there couple times while driving just to gape in the ocean. Brilliant place.

With my best wishes
    Tomas
  12. baitdigger

baitdigger Member

Tomas,I may be barking up the wrong tree but I guess like myself you are a non-national.
    My accent is bad enough but an Eastern European accent will get you very few people willing to help because of the behaviour of many people from that area. It is partly a cultural thing as many of the Irish like the English fish for sport rather than for the table. While everyone accepts that you will take the odd fish for the table no-one wants to see buckets of undersized fish taken only to be told very aggressively that its for the cat or pies. Many of the locals are involved in matches and the local clubs where they often fish for conger. Witnessing gangs of lads crowding people off marks and killing every fish they land does no favours to the people involved who rightly or wrongly are getting the blame for bad returns on the conger matches. I personally have seen excellent wrasse marks decimated by lads who turn up and camp out for days on end on the same spot until there are no fish left to catch. this may well be your right to do but as I said it doesnt mean people will like it.
    There have been a number of 'conflicts' in recent years over people taking undersized fish, gaffing indiscriminately, two foot strap congers do not need the gaff or to be taken home to eat. The is a large undertone of the race card there as well and it is sad to tarnish the whole of Eastern Europe with one brush but many of the people taking too many fish are also the ones leaving most of the rubbish behind them.
    I have been threaten and had my van blocked in and even had my own shadows for a while. wherever i fished the same group of lads would follow me or just look for my van parked up, then they would set up each side of me and generally aggravate me by casting over me until I left.
    So if you want any help while you are out dont be seen carrying a gaff and put any in sized fish you want to keep in your bag discreetly.
  13. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

Well baitdigger,

You guessed it correct - I am non-native and come from central Europe (it must be my accent ;) . To be honest I myself do not give a darn about nationalities whatsoever as everywhere one can find *******s. I have also an opinion on so called 'fishing for sport' and I would not set the exhausted fish free. It happens quite frequently that after dragging it for a hundred yards the best thing for fish is to kill it or otherwise it would die in no time in the lake/sea - killed for instance by another fish. Therefore whether undersized or not but not in a 'mint condition' 'tis better for the poor creature to be killed soonest possible rather than to suffer for quite a long time and die. Then either feed the sea gulls with it or yourself.
    And yup I have found the overall around amusement already as pike is ye olde traditional Polish dish ;)

With my best wishes
    Tomas

P.S.
    I myself wonder what I gonna do with a lets say 10kg turbot - I think I gonna freeze major part of it and bring back home but it would be more than enough for me and my wife so whether to go fishing next day or not would become an extreme dilemma in such a case :/

P.P.S.
    The only sure thing I'll catch is gonna be a tree or an old shoe - those I definitely shall set free ;D
  14. baitdigger

baitdigger Member

Tomas, your reply only serves to fuel the prejudices . I wish you well with your ventures.

Most of the turbot in clare will be around the size of a small side plate. Look for them in daylight with fish baits. And as for shoes, you know they have to be at least a size 9 before you can keep them, all flipflops must be returned as they are endangered.:)

Oh and the pike, the loughs they come out of belong to people so taking them is just like taking any other livestock. Pike also have a no take order on them so our grandchildren dont need to go to a museum to see what they look like.
  15. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

Hmmm,,,

Au contrare as to ye prejudices I think. I leave it to indepth consideration and the personal judgement of an angler though. While I am totally for wild-life preservation setting free a 'worn' and wound fish is nothing but cruel. If it is undersized and in good condition there is no other choice but to release it.
    And as already we are drifting away from the original subject towards the ethics of fishing, I already stated that I would rather not fish more after catching a fish more than enough to feed two people e'en for sport purposes only.
    There is one thing I am totally against, which is fishing for sharks <included and not limited to blue sharks>. In my modest, solitaire and unsolicited opinion but if you are not going to eat it do not hunt it. You would cause just unnecessary suffering otherwise.

With my best wishes
    Tomas
  16. butterfly_tm666

butterfly_tm666 Member

Ufff.... finished my 'knitting' :D 3 times one hook paternoster + once 2 hook ave maria but ready to attach the float at the top + 3 boilerplates + 3 times pure spinning 'rigs' - enough for the very first day of fishing I think.
    Of course the Siopa Fan Oir was the only one stocking the 80lbs shock leader so burnt a lil bit of petrol to get those but as the result bought also second box for the tackle in order not to mix the sea and freshwater stuff as well as my own rod rest as I was constantly borrowing one.
    Got plenty of free stuff from Mick and must admit that it is one of the best sea-fishing supplied tackle-shops in the area. And yup - I realised that 2 weights is a lil bit too few so got another dozen of those. As run out of swivels and drilled bullets shall have to buy more at the destination.

Wish me luck
    Tomas