1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

abu 6500 no speed

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by Mars, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mars

Mars Member

hi everyone

today i got my hands on a abu high speed for very little money £40 with a joblot a guy was selling
    the reel is in mint condition but ive noticed its not very fast, i know its standard bearings and standard mags but is this how slow abus out the box are now?

have done the usual clean up
    cleaned bearings in light fluid
    added yellow rocket fuel
    no brake blocks active
    slightly polished spindle

what i dont get is when i take the spool and of the reel and spin it on the spindle it will spin for around 1 minute 10 now when i put it in the reel with the mag system taken out of the reel and plenty of end float more than necessary its down to around 15 seconds? any idea whats causing this thanks

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

It's got a white ratchet cog on end of spool?

4. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

major slower of things friction from it
    lob it and fit a speed bullet will speed it up

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mars

Mars Member

yes has the ratchet cog thought it was that as it was black on the end where it was rubbing the brass bushing will order a speed bullet from blackdog and see how it goes

6. Bomb

Bomb Member

snip off all the brake blocks and holder ,no need for it , and take a set of magnets out , id leave the rachet in tact for hounds ect , tournament rocket oil ,would make things abit racier ,boarder line hairy .
    bomb:thumbsup:

7. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

a lot quicker!
    people don't realise how much friction they produce and how much they slow a reel
    toss up between distance or need for ratchet !

8. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

still have drag from cog tho pointless

9. Mars

Mars Member

maybe just upgrade the bearings to abec 9 ? and see what its like with the ratchet cog still in place if not lob it and fit a speed bullet should run like a train then

10. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

all time you got friction from ratchet cog bearings won't make much difference basic physics

11. tournamag

tournamag Member

Check the spools not rubbing on the cage as some don't clean reel get corrosion on edge which rubs on spool slowing it down also check reels sitting square!
    As one on here other day end plate wasnt sitting right so bearings rubbing

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. bracklesham boy

bracklesham boy Member

The white ratchet cog causes a windmill affect when it spins , slows things right down .

13. blakdog

blakdog Member

Exactly. You get a colossal amount of friction at the contact point if the contact points are worn and if the thing doesn't seat quite right it will often pinch slightly on the spindle at the bullet end too.

If the OP wants to speed it up but retain the ratchet replace the abu bullet and cog with the Akios versions as that removes the contact point between bullet and cog. Speak to Pete Coogan, he will know what your talking about and can supply the akios parts.

For best results out of the magtrax system reduce to 4 magnets fitted centrally in the cage (3 magnets if you are brave) - if that isn't fast enough for you then something else is pants with the reel. Keep an eye on the magnet rack too ... they have a habit of just touching the end of the spool on the High Speed if it isn't set up quite right ... you will soon start to notice black marks and plastic dust if this issue raises it's head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Bomb

Bomb Member

I carnt see that the cog alone is gonna slow the spool down to the degree of only spinning for 10 seconds , I had 3 of em and the reason for buying them was due to the fact that Abu finally done a 6:1 with a mag and the rachet , seems to me that PMR got roasted for taking the rachet out of a slosh and righty so and some are saying to do the same with the Abu ,me personal I would try what tournamag said and check side plates and frame ,keep the rachet
    bomb:stirpot:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

Make sure if you have or purchase a bullet its a good fit in the end plate , dead easy to test, spin the spool and put a bit of side pressure on the adjusting cap and listen closely .the threads on the cap are obviusly not that fine but the bullet should be a reasonably good fit , and on that note anyone know how to make a tighter fit , just buy few and use the best ?does the same thing apply for the spindle and inner bearing interface ?? My akios wont run on the ceramics as theres too much play in there somewhere, blinding with the metal bearings , tournomags suggestion of reseating the end plate was a good un

16. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

people just don't listen russ

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mars

Mars Member

fitted a akios speed bullet/bushing and kept the ratchet and gone down to two magnets instead of 4 running alot quicker now and casting alot better
    pretty poor design by abu their i wonder if anyone makes a speed bullet like in a original 525 where it goes inside the ratchet cog onto the bearing would fix the problem

18. blakdog

blakdog Member

The most common problem is not with the bullet as such but the hole in the side plate .... some of them are badly milled and they wear the hole oversized very easily ... ditto the other end on the ABUs, the hole that houses the end of the spindle wears oval. This is part of the problem with using a centre mag on the beach ... the bullet is turned to adjust the mag and the constant movement just wears the hole oversized. You can prevent problems on new reels by using a fixed bullet that auto centres ... no movement, no wear. On plates with wear I generally get a one-off bullet made to fit, given that many of the older side plates are not available any more its the only way to save some of the older reels.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor