1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

ABU 9000 (Red) Side Plates

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by Bruce Glass, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Bruce Glass

Bruce Glass Member

I have in my possession an ABU Ambassadeur 9000 reel (Red). It was manufactured April 1966 and mechanically is still in top notch condition. The only problem I have with it is some corrosion in the side-plates. I have managed to buy a new RH Side-plate and would like to find a LH side-plate so that I can restore the reel. If anyone can help me find a LH side-plate for this reel I would be very grateful. The reel is no longer used but has sentimental value as I inherited it when my dad passed away.

Cheers and Happy New Year from New Zealand

• Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Norm B

Norm B Member

:) Have you tried ABU? They have a spares department. I thought Aussies were called Bruce and Kiwis something else. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bruce Glass

Bruce Glass Member

Gidday Norm B, I did try ABU some time ago without luck, maybe I should try again, the response I got was very vague and not very helpful.

You are treading a very thin line suggesting I might be an Aussie, :eek: I am a true blue Kiwi and have the DNA results to prove it.

Cheers and thanks for your reply.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. karl530

karl530 Member

I think it unlikely ABU would have any of the old red side plates, have you had a look at Mikes' reel repair?

6. mike ferdinands

mike ferdinands Member

7. Bruce Glass

Bruce Glass Member

8. Patudo

Patudo Member

The red 9000 were/are more prone to "boat rash" than the later black side plate versions. Keeping an eye on ebay is probably the best way to find what you're after. Pete Coogan at ABU Servicing (http://www.abugarcia-fishing.co.uk/news-abu_service_centres-871.html) probably doesn't have spares himself, but may also be able to help with finding a source.

Incidentally, if it's no longer used and being kept only for sentimental value, why not leave it "as is"? They are still a good looking reel and I do still use mine on occasion, but more for nostalgia's sake than anything else as modern reels are unquestionably superior. It's nice to catch something like a school yellowfin or skipjack on them though, it's like angling a big tuna without the pain factor.

[​IMG]

9. Bruce Glass

Bruce Glass Member

Good morning Patudo, Thank you for your reply. I am only keeping the 9000 for sentimental reasons but thought it would be good to replace the side plates for appearance sake. The reel is in great mechanical condition but has a few corrosion holes in the side plates. I have just purchased a 6500 Blue Yonder to go alongside my 6500 chrome rocket as my surfcasting reels. My 9000 and 1000 are now retired.

Cheers

10. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor