Akios 656 CTM Review

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by swansea Jack, Jan 23, 2011.

1. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Akios 656 CTM
    I bought an Akios 656 CTM from that well known auction site used once, as new and saved over £30 pound on the new price. When I asked the seller why he was selling, he replied that he at preferred his other reels, his loss and my gain.

When the reel arrived I excitingly unwrapped it to reveal a very smart looking reel finished in what I would describe as a high gloss metallic grey, The spool and star drag was also finished in the same metallic grey. There was a large stainless steel power handle, drilled to keep the weight down. There are spool tension/adjuster on the left and right side plates, so the spool can be exactly positioned On the left hand side plate is a 14 incremental magnetic adjuster thoughtfully position out the way from accidental adjustment, but with enough room to make deliberate adjustment easy.

The reel came spooled with 0.37 mm line and wrapped in a neoprene reel case ready for action. I took off the right hand side and checked if the brake blocks were fitted, and they wasn't, and that how I left it. I got permission off her indoors and proceeded down the beach for a bit of casting practice, which is the main reason why I had bought it. I attached a 80 lb shock leaser strapped it to my faithful TTR and tied on a lead link and a 175 gram weight. I belted out five cast with the mags set at maximum and as early stated no brake blocks, the result was between 150 and 155 of my paces which are closer to a metre that to a yard. This was ideal for me as this meant less winding and more casting, that made it for me an ideal casting practice reel. An added bonus, will be if I add the two large brake blocks I recon another 10 to 15 paces coming off the cast.

I progressively moved the mag setting towards the minimum two increments at a time, checking the distance and then repeating another two notches closer to the min setting. Through out the different mag setting there was a slight increase in the distances. This means that mag unit is very predictable and easy to set. The line finally started to lift off the spool on the second increment away from the minimum setting. The cast still got away but I decided not to risk another adjustment. The best cast on the last cast went a very creditable 210 paces, and this is with a reel straight out of the box.

The reel performed immaculately all afternoon, the spool was quite without a hint of vibration even when I was absolutely leathering it. On the retrieve it was a s smooth as a babies bum, comparable with my 7HT mag, which is high praise indeed. Not at any time during my most powerful cast did the reel jump into gear, I believe this quality has been built into the reel. When I was threading the line through the eyes, I couldn't help but notice how smoothly the line came off the reel through the clutch. It takes approximate 1 1/2 turns of the star drag from the off position to the lock up, and the clutch remains smooth without a hint of snatch through out the drag range,

In my opinion and I will repeat this is my opinion, this reel is serious completion for the Abu’s Diawa and other reels in this class, and of course it’s cheaper at the moment. I haven’t used it fishing yet, but I know after my Trials, I would take it fishing with full confidence. I can’t say how long the reel is going to last, but by the feel of the reel during my trial, it has built in quality. Providing that it is looked after and used for it’s intended purpose, I can see this reel in your tackle box for many years to come giving very good service.:wiggle:

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. willintolearn

willintolearn Member

A very nice read,does this mean a PB at the next casting meet for you brian?:whistling stephen.
  3. pee orts moof

pee orts moof Member

My abu reels are no longer in use,The Axios reel is the doggies n-ts they are the real deal and i think they will take some beating.....:sneaky2: But every one is entitled to there own opinion. :spiteful:
  4. pro_hunter

pro_hunter Member

Must admit the 656 ctm is the dogs dangles :)

very very smooth reel and it sure does increase ya casting distance :)
  5. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Just one amendment
    I have since found out that the reel has had the bearings flushed and yellow rocket fuel added, not quite out of the box.
    slight oops
  6. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

iv got 2 of the akios 656ctm's and i love em so smooth and quiet , iv got down to casting them with the mags full off and just useing the brake blocks but i have red rocket fuel in them i do use the mags when there a head on wind , yep a lovly reel
  7. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Thanks Steve looking forward to seeing you Sunday.
  8. lurcher steve

lurcher steve Member

**** hot reels hope they bring out a 5000 size one
  9. seery

seery Member

from what i heard not rumours but from the horse mouth the are bringing out 5600/5500/6600/6500/6600w as well with the new shuttle type cage jim.
  10. <Zziplex>

<Zziplex>

just purchased the new akios shuttle used it yesterday have to agree with original poster top notch reels, smooth as silk and lovely to cast :marinheir
  11. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Very interesting, sounds like they are going for the jugular:whistling