1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

An Idiots guide to Pollack Fishing

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by Bass-ic Instinct, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

It has recently come to the attention of myself and Andy(F1F3R) that there is little information available on the art of shore pollack fishing on WSF forums. Recently Andy and i have been exchanging information on how to target pollack from the shore, and both of us thought it would be beneficial to other forum users for us to post our information. I nor does Andy profess to be an expert on the matter, however both of us are successful at targeting pollack, and believe that this guide would be a useful resource to anglers new to pollack fishing. Look at Andys report from today and i am sure you will agree that our tactics and techniques catch fish!

The first item i will address is the item of Tackle. I would say that a good pollack angler should have a carp/spinning rod, a bass rod and a light beachcaster in his armoury along with 4000-6000 baitrunner reels and a small multiplyer reel.
    Here i will reveal what tackle i use for pollack fishing from the rocks. If you are new to pollack fishing than either a carp/spinning rod or a bass rod matched with a 5000 sized baitrunner reel and 12-15lb monofilament line.

1. Shakespeare Odessa Bass 2-4oz, and a Shimano 6000GTE baitrunner loaded with 30lb Berkley Whiplash braid and a 30lb clear shock leader (spare spool of 15lb clear mono).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Daiwa Sensor Z 2.5lb t.c. carp rod, Daiwa Regal X 4050 BRT Baitrunner loaded with 20lb Berkley Whiplash braid and 30lb mono shock leader.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Century Tip Tornado Lite 3-5oz, Penn 525mag or daiwa SL20SH loaded with 18lb clear mon and 50lb clear shock leader.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details on rigs, lures, venues and tactics will follow soon. Aswell as more exciting catch reports to come in the very near future!

Hope you enjoy future installations of 'An Idiots Guid to Pollack Fishing' by Iain (Bass-ic Instinct) and Andy (F1F3R) .

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. GasHed

GasHed Member

I'm no expert on pollack fishing myself, but have been doing quite well recently. I'm sure your setup that you list there works great in different situations, but it must sound very daunting for a beginner. I'd be suggesting as a start to stick to a decent spinning rod and fixed spool reel loaded with 20lb mono with a 1oz drilled ball weight on the line, a swivel, about about 3 feet of 30lb mono, a 4/0 hook with a jelly worm on it.

That's as basic as you can get and within the scope of the tackle that most beginners would have availble to them. I agree though that switching to braid is an advantage over rocks and kelp.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

I was going to explain rigs in detail with diagrams later and go over tackle and tactics. The reason for three different set ups becomes very apparent when you target them from a variety of marks. I am currently doing the Photobucket tutorial so i will add more pictures, diagrams and information at my leisure. Trust me though this will be a very intuitive series and great information for anybody new to tackling pollack.

5. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

Tomorrow i will add another sections on lures and how best to rig up for pollack. Thanks to Andy for a superb report today and catching the fish.

6. John Mason

John Mason Member

Don't forget those incredible Fladen gold tinsel feathers to size 1 gilded hooks!

Lethal on the marks I fish!

Gonna experiment this year with long-casting heavy Dex's like up to 100g (although they are now doing them to 200g +) - when I lived in Scotland I used similar lures off Skye's Neist point with devastating effect. Even had a Ling around 5lb on one occasion!

I reckon you need two approaches - a carp/spinning rod for close-in/float work, with a long Euro rod to blast out lures into more distant tidal rips. The most enjoyable being the close-in work - but the long rods are quite excellent because, having cast miles & hooked fish, you can control them in the final few yards where most of the snags tend to be...

Cheers - John

7. gusmcg

gusmcg Guest

Thanks for that Bass-ic Instinct, great help. Reading that coupled with F1F3R excellent report has been very educational. Now dying to give it a go and know just the place. Thanks.

8. F1F3R

F1F3R Guest

Great work Iain, im sure others newbi's will benefit from your advise on pollack fishing, i wish there was more helpful info like this.
    not only for guides for pollack, but for flatties , bass , conger, etc etc ..

i have added some off my basic rig pictures ( which you will find on my site ) so that you can incorporate them into your guide if it helps any. they certainly worked for me lol.

i hope others do similar basic setups for flatties as thats what im after next and have no idea lol.

cheers again.
    Andy.

9. lobbit

lobbit Member

best bit of all round(all round not specific ) end tackle that targets pollack coalies saithe pouting
    is a set of baited feathers ,given the time of year they double as bait catchers comming in
    or even get you a pollack on the retrieve
    a bit of mackerel on a couple of jellys works also (not a big lump though )
    worth a try

10. David N

David N Guest

I'm looking forward to your series. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  11. Snatcher

Snatcher Member

This is the gear I normally use for pollack fishing.A Greys 10 foot spinning rod and fixed spool loaded with 15lb mono.
    [​IMG]

I do use spinners and jellyworms on odd occasions but find my own tying of a sandeel much more effective.

[​IMG]

It has taken me a few years of design trials to come up with these deadly lures :)

If anyone wants a couple of freebies to try out giz a shout. I have a big order to knock out next week so its no big deal to tie up a few more.I fish them behind a drilled bullet with a 2/3 foot trace.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jimmy_big_shoes

jimmy_big_shoes Member

There were some cheap carp / spinning rods in Lidl about two weeks ago - £15 Each. I was tempted to buy a couple just to keep in the car for just this sort of thing. I wish I had now... The missus talked me out of it. I know that cheap gear isnt always the best, but at fifteen quid a pop if it only lasted a year I'd be laughing!

Still, you lives and learns.

PS thanks to Andy for the rig picture, I'm thinking about a wee session tomorrow, might just try it!

13. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

Nice picture snatcher, i recognise that lighthouse very well. I fish Port Logan a lot for pollack, but generally the other side over Port Gill and Dunnyhinguie is better for pollack, coalies and wrasse on the spinning gear. I will add information on lures and rigs soon, i need to get them out from my garage! Had a good day out at Hartleppol today, so be sure to read my catch report on the Northeast Forums for tips on how to catch dabs.

14. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

There are many lures to use, and to be honest most will catch pollack. The golden rule of choosing the correct lure for pollack is to represent the bait fish they will be feeding on. For example an Abu Krill imitates a small sprat well, the Abu Koster or Toby in copper looks likte a small pollack or poor cod, and the Bridun Launce lure imitates a sandeel very effectively. I find silver/chrome/black/blue/copper/orange/pink are the best colours to use, think like a fish! These are the most natural, but also some of the most visible for a fish to see in clear water. Lure action is also important, lures which create the 'right' movement/vibration will attract fish more than ones which appear un-natural.

Here is a selection of a few lures that i have found successful for pollack fishing.

[​IMG]

The red and black lure is a Blue Fox lure, it is made of resin and weighs 18g. Altough light it casts welland is good for shallower venues where heavier lures sink to deep, especially over kelp.
    The next lure is a Kenley Cebar, it is a metal lure which weighs 28g. Casts like a bullet and highly reflective with a trmbling action. Takes mainly smaller pollack and coalies, although has been excellent for mackerel and also accounted for a few bass.
    The middle lure is an Abu toby red wolf lure. It weighs 28g and these come in many different colours with aholographic side and a plain metal side. My favourite though is either holographic gold or blue as it represents a small sandeel well with its elongated shape.
    Next lure is a 40g Grauvell Killer. Basically a copy of the Abu Toby but much cheaper at around £1.99. Good for casting longer and on deeper venues. It has caught me many pollack, mackerel and bass. Has also accounted for a few fish in the 3-5lb bracket, and lost a few larger ones!
    Final lure in this picture is a Ron Thompson plug which i forget the name of. It weighs around 18g and dives 3-6ft in depth. It is good for pollack on shallower marks, or over kelp beds. I have had two fish around the 6lb mark on this actual plug and also managed to catch mackerel and bass on it.

A few pictures of two of my personal favourite lures.

[​IMG]

An Abu Toby red wolf 28g in its packaging. Although not stocked by many tackle shops these are available cheaply on eBay. Please excuse the poor quality photo due to bad lighting and a reflective surface.

[​IMG]

Thought i would quickly include jellyworms aswell. I will detail methods for fishing them later but will just give you the low down on them now. They are generally 4'' - 12'' in length and come in a wide variety of shapes and colours. My favourites are the black and pink firetail lures, i took my P.B. 7lb2oz pollack on one of these and have seen even bigger fish taken on them! Cheap and effective, at around 15p each no pollack angler should be without them. Although they should be stored correctly as to avoid them melting with other plastics.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps a few more people. There is more to come at a later date including more information on lures, rigs and how to actually catch pollack!

15. peapod

peapod Member

Pollack fishing, the greatest thrill to be had from the rocks unless you stumble on a naked mermaid sunbathing. Keep it simple and bear in mind that pollack are sight hunters with the emphasis on hunters, if you have any doubts, just take a look at their eyes, that massive iris only has one function and that is to let in as much light as possible to give this terrific predater the edge.
    So how simple is simple? One stepped up carp/bass rod, one fixed spool reel loaded with braid a size 4 hook and a few packets of frozen sandeel and a landing net will get you all the fish you can shake a stick at most of the time. For the other times when there is a racing tide or it's necessary to get a bit of distance, I might use a half to an ounce streamlined lead but I must emphasise that 95% of quality catches of pollack caught from the rock marks are taken literally within 1-2 rod lengths!
    Simply thread the hook through the frozen eel and bring the point out about 2 thirds down the body and flick it out, let the current take it, paying out line as it goes, every so often put your finger on the lip of the spool, this will move the eel up in the water and you then let it drop again. Cover the water in front of you until you find the fish, pollack will attack from cover and with speed. When you locate them, you should be able to pull a few out but don't over do it, much better to find another group and then alternate the areas.
    Another very prolific pollack angler and I had a competition to see which was the best method, freelined sandeel or the more conventional cast and retrieve with a christmas tree assortment of metal and rubber. The adventure was featured over 4 pages in one of the national mags and showed that the freelined method outscored the cast and retrieve by as much as 3-1. That day we caught and released an estimated 120lb of pollack averaging 4lb with more than a few going bigger, biggest 10lb 4oz.
    The argument for simple is best doesn't stop there. There used to be a shore competition in the south west, it only ran for 3 years before the club folded but by using the method described, I was able to take 2 first places and a second (a 20lb conger won that year)
    For excitement and plenty of arm aching action, leave the heavy winching gear at home and set off with nothing more than what has been described.
    It's a funny old world, it has been my love of pollack fishing that more or less led to my retiring from sea angling. I fished a match a few years ago and brought 76lb of pollack to the scales, my friend scaled 84lb, between us we brought about the downfall of 160lb of quality fish. That day was a mixture of highs and lows. I was thrilled at catching well and coming second, but as the hours went by I began to get more depressed at the thought of the fish loss.
    Sorry to get all maudlin on you all, just keep it simple - it works.

16. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

Thanks for the information Peapod, perhaps you could provide a few pictures or images from the magazine article? I agree that freelining is another excellent mathod that works well for pollack (this will maybe be covered again later). My intention of this thread is to detail other methods of catching pollack aswell giving a good source information on all forms of pollack fishing. From deeper venues with a stronger tidal pull it can be essential to deep spin for pollack on a 2-5oz beachcaster with either jellies or whipped sandeel. One mark i fish requires a lure to be cast 100 yards so that it can be retrieved over an inshore wreck 60-70 yards out from the shore which lies in 40ft of water. The heavier gear is needed then to put a lure out the required distance and stop the larger fish. Then for float fishing with a 2oz float a bass rod and a baitrunner reel is the correct way to go. This will all be covered in time, all help is much appreciated. I believe Andy is even creating our own website on this, when finished we will provide links and then there will be a fully comprehensive guide to tackeling pollack available on the net for all WSF forum users and others.

17. peapod

peapod Member

Attached Files:

18. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

Thanks thats a great picture peapod of a really nice fish, is that the 10lb4oz fish? I aspire to catch a double figure pollack from the shore, best so far i have had is 7lb2oz although taken a good few 5-6lber's. I dont suppose you have any of the rigs used that could go on this thread to help others, even though its simple some people still get it wrong and the diagram helps them more.

19. sallysludgebucket

sallysludgebucket Member

Dragon carp direct do em for a tenner, bargain that wont make you cry when you scrape it down the rocks :kissing:

Why cant I upload pics anymore, just clicks but nout happens, only works on attatchments ! Mods ?

Pic is a Wye lead, great for bumping the bottom in clean areas as it causes no damage to the line.

Attached Files:

20. Bass-ic Instinct

Bass-ic Instinct Member

I make something similar using brass loops and heating up lead into a desert spoon, i use them mostly for flatties though.

21. Snatcher

Snatcher Member

Have a static van in Drummore on the Clash site. Really trying to target bass in Luce Bay this year.Was introduced to bass popping in Luce Bay about 3 year ago by Manxman,who has a holiday/retirement home in Drummore. I find that popping for bass is fairly similar in some respects to dry fly fishing for trout!!!!

Blanked quite a bit last year but eventually managed to winckle out 9 bass.Average size 3lb

My local Drummore bass sensai is Freddie - he is the man by the way and loves the sauce so we are brothers really :drunk:

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor