Angling Trust

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by RaytheRay, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RaytheRay

RaytheRay Member

40 high profile and respected anglers from all disciplines of angling have volunteered to support the Angling Trust by becoming Angling Trust Ambassadors and encouraging every angler in the country to become a member of the Trust. They have given their backing to support the single representative body for all anglers and will be helping support its campaigns to protect fish and fishing.

The Ambassadors include angling TV stars Matt Hayes, Mick Brown, John Bailey and Jeremy Wade as well as top carper Terry Hearn, actor Paul Whitehouse, singer Fergal Sharkey and gold-medal winning athlete Dean Macey.

Henry Gilbey, TV presenter, Angling Photographer and Journalist said: "Ask any sea angler what they would like to see in the future and I bet you that 99% of the time the answer is a collective more and bigger fish to catch. That is exactly what I want to see myself, and I firmly believe that now is the time to align ourselves behind the Angling Trust and give them the chance to make this a reality. I worry hugely about the future of UK saltwater fishing, so the least we can do is to give the UK's one professional organisation the best possible go at protecting our sport."

Jim Whippy, Sea Angling Writer and Boat Fishing Guide said: "It's already shown that the strength in unity has given the Angling Trust the ear of various department of the government. One voice speaking for all anglers has got to be the only way we will be heard and taken notice of."

Malcolm Gilbert, Sea Angling conservationist said: "The sheer diversity of sea angling inevitably results in a wide array of opinions on fisheries management issues. Sea anglers must learn to put their differences to one side in order to unite and focus of achieving far greater political clout for the overall good of our fishery resources and future sea anglers. We must work together to bring a cultural mindset change to fisheries management where currently short term political appeasement of commercial fishing interests dominate, to one where the restoration and well being of the fishery resources themselves become the overarching priority."

Well said Malcolm

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

:blink::yawn::g: Pity we can't comment on the AT link, as we are fishermen not anglers,
  3. bubbles

bubbles Moderator WSF Moderator

So its an anti-commercial rather than a pro fishing stance, interesting statement :headhurt:
  4. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

The celebs and the AT can rabble on till the cows come home, nothing will ever benefit us, even poloticians can't change the rules on fishing,only thing I see the AT wants is more of our money to waste
  5. Why Worry Angling Charters

Why Worry Angling Charters Member

He forgot Matt Hayes and his sanctomonius comment that 'If you don't join the AT your not an angler'.....Prick.
    Seems the AT have now changed tack and looking for a War with the commercial sector....That should be fun.
  6. fish fanatic

fish fanatic Sea Trout Fan

The replies so far show how difficult it is to get anglers to unite. Everyone is too interested in their own opinion rather than the greater good. Personally , I think the sentiment is good but the ATs level of credibility might not be. :wiggle:
  7. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

The Commercials won't even waste thier time on such a bunch of useless muppets that think they can change things, I once thought Matt Hayes was a good bloke, not anymore he should change his first name by replacing the M with W then annogram it ,
  8. toonfireman

toonfireman WSF Hardcore Poster

“So its an anti-commercial “

of course it is, its members are RSA, most of them blame Cf for the poor fishing, do you not think it should support an agenda that the majority of its members agree on?
  9. Norm B

Norm B Member

:fishing1: They don't have the expertise to take on the commercial sector, they shout above their ability. Do you remember the old NFSA's, "Fishnets grand, gillnets banned", campaign, what a flop and waste of money. When I questioned them on the "success" of the campaign, they said, "they only wanted to get "illegal nets banned", when I said that illegal nets were banned, that's why they're illegal, I was accused of "being negative". It's all sound bites and publicity, nothing ever happens, it's a waste of energy and resources. :fishing1:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  10. Gulp

Gulp Global Moderator Moderator WSF Moderator

Note to Commercials. Sea anglers are those people you see on the beach waving sticks about..........while you are on your way out to catch some fish.
  11. Norm B

Norm B Member

:fishing1: Is this the "correct" one, or the first one. They had to withdraw the first one because it was incorrect. Obviously their PR man doesn't have a proof reader, or they were in such a rush to get the "good news" out they didn't check it first. :fishing1:
  12. Why Worry Angling Charters

The same old people running the AT Norm that ran into the ground the NFSA....Albeit with new suits.
    They really should take 'Billy Big Heads' advice....'Ditch RSA and move on without them'.
    When I questioned Mark Llloyd over that statement he mailed me stating absolutely Keith Arthur was 'Just' a member and had no position in the AT.....Strange he is in the photo line up of the 'Famous 40' The AT and it's leading lights tell more lies than Tom Pepper.
  13. Gulp

Gulp Global Moderator Moderator WSF Moderator

Which would probably be "Sea Anglers Should Buy A Licence"
  14. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

Licence to what?? lol, just to pay money for nothing springs to mind, they claim they know how many of us there is so why try the licence trick?
  15. Why Worry Angling Charters

I will tell you exactly why!
    The AT have aspirations of being the authority to sell licences.They already asked for it and were turned down.
    Now,I can see the day when it finally happens,not only happens but legislation will probably be passed that you have to be a member of the AT to actually purchase one...That too has already been suggested by certain people at the AT.
    Enter Martin Salter and his side kick 'Billy Big Head Keith Arthur'....advocates of Licencing for RSA.Watch this space.....
  16. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

Would there be a way round it God forbid? like join ,buy a licence then leave them asking for a refund as thier org is not fit for purpose under consumer rights lol
  17. Why Worry Angling Charters

As a commercial operator I would absolutely refuse to buy one.I actually want to be the first Charter operator to take them too the EU courts under the unfair trading practices legislation that exists to protect businesses against this sort of thing.I enjoy a game.I am only dissapointed that DEFRA have now decided not to contact Charter boat operators for there 2012 fish count business.I was really looking forward to renewing my friendship with that lot.
  18. RaytheRay

RaytheRay Member

I am a personal member and from what I have seen the AT is open for all to join and to contribute help formulate policy and generate interest in angling bring forward juniors etc etc.

Perhaps all of you who critise should join and get involved, help change it if you are not happy rather than just carping (oh and that was not supposed to be a pun)
  19. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

WWAC,None of them are really interested in the likes of you or me m8, Defra especially as we are just small fish to them, I cant see the AT getting far with licences as they are losing thier esteem with the big boys like Defra, if a licence was free with no strings attatched I'd probably get one, but is there any chance of that happening, best thing to do really is leave things how they are,and let us all fish legally and happily as it is, we spend our money on gear etc so the taxman is also happy, if they did introduce strict licences at a cost I'm sure they would lose as most weekend fishermen would say sod it and pack it all in, then who would benefit from that?
  20. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

Why hav'nt you replied to my other post about the benefits of joining the AT?, Why should I pay them money? is it to fund all thier worthless meetings? will they change EU fishing rules?will they get us out of Europe?