1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Apoxy

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by shaggs, Jan 9, 2017.

1. shaggs

shaggs Member

Hi need some help I've just rebuilt my rods and happy for my first attempt but now at the stage of doing the apoxy on the guides but haven't a dryer is there any quicker way of doing this I'm only going to use for fishing and will get used and abused so do sent have to be spot on cheers

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

Its epoxy ..... I have done loads of rods just by applying the high build
    ( POXY :)) to the whippings , leaving the rod horizontal in the stands, and give the rod a half turn manually every ten mins or so until the 2 part goes off.

Make sure its out of the way of the kids, dogs, cats, wife ect.

No quick way really,a rod turner,by which I think you mean dryer, although desirable, is not needed for high build.

Dave

4. shaggs

shaggs Member

Cheers so no other product to do it in then

5. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

You have pm.

Dave

6. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

Few tips mate , first warm the epoxy tubs in hot water , generally seem to be different viscosity and its easie to mix as once you do all the stirring the bubbles rise out quicker , just my opinion but put a thin coat on first making sure you get it worked right into the whipping so it effectively causes a nice seal around the rod and eye feet , this basically glues the eye in place between the gaps either side of the eye feet where the whipping leaves the blank , keep your rod turning as said over a warm radiator and dont touch the rad otherwise it will discharge loads of dust , you can put a cottin bed sheet over the rad just in case , let dry overnight .then do the same again with a slightly heavier coat still turning every 15 mins or so , I generally do 3 thinnish coats as its easier to correct. Fyi if the resin starts going off and youve got a build up in the wrong place heat gently with a hairdyer and the last coat will go quite liquid again , turn more often and get it even , you will only get maybe two attempts at correcting as described, good luck , dont hurry s you will balls it up

7. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor