1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. A NOTE FOR ALL MEMBERS

You will need to update your bookmarks to be able to visit some sections of the new WSF Forums. If you have bookmarks stored these need to be updated.

We recommend you go to the WSF Forums Home Page by clicking the link below, remove your bookmarks and then re-add them in.

WSF Forums: WSF Forums

Arvor 215

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by mike88, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Offline
    mike88

mike88 Member

Hello there,
    Ive decided its time for a new boat & have been considering the Arvor 215. Does anyone have one of these or can anyone offer any opinions on it good or bad? I must admit that my decision at the moment is based on the various pictures of these boats I have seen on the internet & have not actually been abord one yet. Probably going to make the trek upto one of the dealers when I get a spare weekend. Im in Portsmouth & the nearest Arvor dealers I can find are either Essex Boat Yard or Cambrian boat centre. Does anyone know of any closer to me?
    Many thanks in advance for your help!
    Mike
  2. Offline
    blueskip

blueskip Member

My friend has the Arvor 18ft, with a 50HP Kubota diesel engine, without the turbo, its a smashing boat giving the impression of being much bigger than 18ft. The steering position is down on the lower level giving total protection from the elements for the driver & the electronics (most important), & there is a tiller fitted which makes it perfect for trolling. She is a bit restricted for space in the cabin & cockpit as you would expect, she is after all only an 18 footer, but you could fish 3 comfortably, & there is room for a couple of you to get your head down in the cabin, at a pinch.:g:
    She does about 12knots flat out, downhill, with a following wind, & she is a nice "dry" boat in a sea, the waves go over the cabin, but not over you!:yeah:
    If I had the money I would certainly buy one, probably the bigger 215 & I would have a turbo diesel as well, I think that would be an ideal combo!
    blueskip
  3. Offline
    Shropfisher

Shropfisher Member

The Arvor is a nice boat, and the 215 sits right in the middle of a wide range of boats, for that money you have lots of options, There is one in my marina, Things I didn't like about it are :-

The inside is a bit basic for the money,
    Only got a small hatch for a window, I find I need a full opening window on a warm day, or to reach out and pull in a Fender etc.
    Windows are a perspex, not glass, so will craze over time and need replacing.
    Instrument area is limited, were do you fit Chart plotter, Fish Finder, Radio, back up GPS etc ? without blocking your view !
    Portable toilet is in full view, ne screening or panels......
    For almost 7 metres, the deck is a bit clutered.

I do like the looks, I like the bait tank, but not sure that I would want one built in, In a very competative market, I think it's best feature is it's looks. But then I chose the Ocqueteau 615, at 6 metres long it has better use of space, the cabin is laid out better, good steering posion ( with full panel in front of me ) comes in just below the Arvor on cost, and in my opinion you get more for your money, but then your going to get lots of opinions. best best, Southampton boat show, see them all under one roof and arrange a few sea trials.
  4. Online
    TomBettle

TomBettle Guest

Hi Mike

As Shropshire said, your best deal and best place to look will be at Southampton Boat Show starting on the 15th September.
    The 215 is a good boat and will do you very well in almost allo aspects, but it is very basically finished.
    The one I was involved in testing a year or so ago had an intersting characteristic in that it drove in a very slightly crab like fashion. I am sure it was only a few degrees off true, but it was very noticeable at the helm.
    If the Arvor is what you go for then Essex Boat Yards are the distributors.
    Ben is Sales Director and a good mate (call him Sloth, he'll love that) or any one of the Barke family (James being the main man) who actually own the business.

If that si the sort of size you are after then take a peak at our new Jeanneau 655 Marlin. You can nip along to our Southampton Office anytime to take a look. She is being commissioned at the moment and will be in the water ready for a Sea Dangler feature I will be doing soon. Absolutely stunning, spec is perfect for angling, but with some great comfort features. She is 22 feet long but with a deck akin to that of an Arvor 25 and low level walk arounds all around the wheel house. Huge amounts of storage from cubby holes to proper vertical rod racks in the cabin. Loads of opening hatches and a sliding door both behind you and also at the helm to the side (Like on a Botnia Targa).
    Powered by a D3 110Hp Volvo she will hit about 20kts lightish, but very good sea keeping.

If you are going to nip across to see her then please let me know before hand so I can register you on our system.

Tom
  5. Offline
    Dave.S

Dave.S Member

Hi Mike

Check out Lyme Boats

They have a 190 and a 230 + some 250's for sale

Lyme Regis may be a bit nearer.

Dave
    :giveup:
  6. Offline
    JandH

JandH Member

Hi Mike

For what it's worth I had to decide between an Arvor 215 and a Beneteau Antares 650 and I ended up with the Beneteau. The main reasons were

1. Price - about £4k less

2. Beneteau was with a 115HP Suzuki outboard and a lot lighter overall compared to the Arvor with a 100HP inboard VW diesel.

3. Arvor came with an electronics package that I didn't fancy - so blew most of the price difference on the electronics I did fancy!

4. When I bought I intended to trail the boat and as a lighter boat with an engine that lifted out of the water I thought the Beneteau would be much easier to launch and recover.

5. The Beneteau was faster AND quieter than the Arvor. About the same room for fishing.

Now it's 4 months down the line and while I have no regrets over my purchase I think that the boat lightness is not important - I am far too long in the tooth to trail the boat so it will always live in a marina.

The speed thing is also less important than I thought - even in the sheltered Thames estuary the days when you can go at 30 knots are few and far between. Mostly we cruise at 16 - 20 knots and I'm sure the Arvor could also do that.

Finally, having a petrol engine that does about 4 miles to the gallon does make the eyes water a bit when at the fuel pontoon! I know that overall the cost of fuel is supposed to be insignificant but over £120 to fill up still causes a bit of a shock!

Hope this helps.

Hugh
  7. Offline
    Why Worry Angling Charters

Why Worry Angling Charters Member

I wouldnt want to fill up a petrol boat at the Marina on the Crouch (I wont name which one but it is about the only one that sells petrol) and I was told the other day that they are charging £1.45 a Litre!....I would have the diesel engine every time not only for the fuel cost but for reliability and also maintainence..... IMHO petrol engines,sparkplugs and water just dont go together.If you really want to go the outboard route then why not go for a diesel outboard? (I know nothing about them mind) but im sure Tombettle does and will add his thoughts and experiences of them to this thread.
    Ron
  8. Online
    TomBettle

TomBettle Guest

I have to say Ron, I don't know a lot about diesel outboards.

I don't think they produce them very large, maybe 50Hp max.
    The last one I saw was bolted to the back of the water taxi in Alderney and I think they tend to be used for that sort of commercial life.

Tom
  9. Online
    poppajoe

poppajoe Guest

A friend of mine has got an arvor 20 and I have to say, for a fishing boat it is all round very very good.
    His has the 85TD Nanny and it is very quet, very very smooth at any speed and tops out a little more then they list at 20knots. He regualy cruises 15miles non stop at 16knots and it is very comfortable, clean, dry and very smart.
    I agree basic but I like my boats light and roomy for fishing which this is and it is very, very good on Fuel. He has a 100ltr tank and fills it with red (at £40) only once a month or so fishing every weekend.
    If I was in the market for a new boat I would seriuosly consider one, but maybe a 23 for the extra space, but then I would plump for a used Aquafish23 as they are so much more of a boat in my opinion.
    Also IMHO there is no contest in an outboard against diesel inboard - the diesel wins every time for me.
  10. Offline
    Shropfisher

Shropfisher Member

DIESEL Outboard !!! I like a man who enjoys a challenge, most companies have tried it and given up, power to weight ratio being main problem, by the time you get the power up the engines too big to go on the back.
    Petrol might be more expensive, but modern 4 styrokes are very economical ( if you control the urge to cross the horizon as fast as you can ) I think youve been fed a duffer on price, my marina charge £1.15 a litre, not that much more than most petrol stations. and you have all the benefits of petrol.
  11. Offline

I have actually seen diesel outboards used in a commercial role but I know very litle about them apart I am told from being very expensive.....As for the price of petrol I have just had it confirmed that it is actually £1.35 a litre so I was not far out!!...Check out the prices in the local garages in Burnham on crouch as it is £1.12 a litre there......I cannot see the benefits in a petrol outboard??....Just look at the amount of problems people seem to get on this forum alone.......Who in there right mind would choose an outboard against a VW or Yanmar inboard diesel in a modern say 20-25 boat?...Sorry electrics on an aboard and water just dont mix...If you are on a budget I can see the outboard option.....Even cascars rues the day he ever bought a boat with an outboard against the diesel option.
    Ron
  12. Offline
    Cascars

Cascars Member

I have now had a look at the diesel version of my boat, Ron but have decided against it although I would have got almost what I paid for mine in trade in because I would lose all of my under deck storage and some deck space.
    In the winter I will be looking at possibly getting an LPG conversion to the outboard.
  13. Offline
    mike88

mike88 Member

Thanks for all the advice & opinions everyone, they were all very helpful. I spoke to Essex Boatyards who informed me that their Port Solent office had just got a 215as in. Popped down to have a look at it this afternoon & I must say I was very impressed! Thought the boat was very well laid out & liked all the features built in such as live bait tank, tackle & rod storage, etc so I think my mind is made up! :clap2: Just need to make my mind up whether to go for the 215 or the 215as now!:unsure:
  14. Online
    TomBettle

TomBettle Guest

How much is the 215 Mike?

Is the klive bait tank rectangular or round?
    If it is rectangular it will be fine for shrimps / prawns etc, but next to useless for any school fish such as mackerel or sandeels... probably also far too small for these too.
    It will make a good store box for bits and pieces though.
  15. Offline
    JandH

JandH Member

'How much is the 215 Mike?

Is the klive bait tank rectangular or round?
    If it is rectangular it will be fine for shrimps / prawns etc, but next to useless for any school fish such as mackerel or sandeels... probably also far too small for these too.
    It will make a good store box for bits and pieces though.

:clap3: :clap3: Nice try Tom!! Never say die is my motto too.:)
  16. Online
    TomBettle

TomBettle Guest

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Take a look at the 655 and you would even consider one of the others.
    Blows them completely out of the water. You won't need a salesman to give you bull, it will sell itself to you.

Tom
    Otherwise :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :blink:

PS: Make sure you get a sea trial on your current first choice and see how she runs, but make sure you compare this to and alternative (maybe a 655? ) as there will be a big difference in handling and sea keeping.
  17. Offline
    NERO

NERO Member

Bait tank is rectangular , keeps live bait pefectly well as long as you keep pumping fresh sea water in , mackeral, sandeels , even whitting have been kept in mine , get yourself a sma;; bait net as catching the buggers again can be tricky........215 is a very good boat i have Navman electronics on both of mine and very pleased
  18. Offline
    wavelength

wavelength Member

used diesel outboards in Ireland years back down near Wexford. Couldnt hold a pint in the pub at nights cos my arm was still vibrating. Lots of noise, lots of vibration, not much power. :blink:
  19. Offline
    Shropfisher

Shropfisher Member

Conwy Marina has just raised it's price to £1.19 per litre, but I get £0.02 discount on that. loads of advantages with Petrol outboards, if your looking at straight costs, calculate how much fuel you will use over several years, using average consumptions for each option and the differrance in cost for buying and servicing, You have to do some hours to break even, then to be totally fair add the cost of borrowing the extra, A guy 2 berths down from me in a Jenny with a big diesel inboard tells me he can't troll, as the enginre doesn't like it, oils up and causes problems, You say Electrics and water don't mix, I think Honda, Suzuki etc have thought about that, since most boats go inthe water at some time. Do you row and navigate by the stars !! thought not, so Electricity and water do work, I'm in the Marine Electronics industry, I can run a domestic computor underwater with no problems and seal a torpedo again the worst that can be thrown at it, so an outboard is a piece of cake. I do concede that bigger boats are designed for Diesel inboards, it probably starts around the 23 foot mark, In our marina the only people with any engine problems are the Diesel guys so not sure about " All the problems with Petrol " if there are 1000 guys with boats on this webb site, and 900 of them use outboards, and 3 guys with petrol engines have problems and one guy with diesel has a problem, does it mean petrol is 3 times more reliable ? No, actually Diesel is 3 times more trouble. statistics can prove anything you want them too.
  20. Offline

After having boats for the best part of 35 years,I would never again want to rely on an outboard as my main source of power,but to be fair I wouldnt want to be out too far out anyway in a boat smaller than 23ft!.....If you see some of them perform in our marina with there small boats I wouldnt want to be outside the marina with some of these people period....In fairness most of the breakdowns and problems are caused by the owners and not the equipment...I still wouldnt want another petrol engined boat though whatever the benefits people try to sell me....I was actually out (but only in the river)in my friends White Shark on Saturday,a lovely fast (30knt+) dory type fishing boat(I call it a Dory type anyway) but Jesus,£1.25 a Gallon and we managed to get rid of £60 in less than an hour!...His other boat is an Offshore 28 and that is 30knts+ and that runs on derv at only 6gals an hour at £2.50 Gal so you cannot tell me there are any savings to be made against the petrol version there!...Anyway I suppose once you have bought the big petrol outboard then you have to like it as I would of thought that in one way or another from new you either take the big loss on the resale or live with it.