Atlantis- Newquay. 14.04.12

Discussion in 'South West Catch Reports & Advice' started by Poughill Reef?, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Poughill Reef?

Poughill Reef? Cliff Dangler

We were down in Newquay for a hag do (Hen & Stag). Anthony opten not to tow his Alaka 500 down if only we were allowed to go out on a short charter. He phoned Matt (Atlantis) and we were on.

We were on the top of the tide on a neap and the forecast was for the NW to come up a little with very heavy rain forecast.

I can tell you we got lucky as a dark cloud sat over Newquay the whole time we were out (4 hours) and we had the best of it.

Wind over tide meant we never settled on the anchor and we kited around which suited me as I wanted an early bream. Laura has never caught a bream so she stuck it out as well until the guys started landing a few cod and pollack to about 5lb. White and blue shads doing the damage with a slow retrieve.

[​IMG]

Anne was squealing at the back as she stuggled with a finely tail hooked hound (Her first). Early signs for the season are good and I'm informed are many showing up from North Cornwall round to North Devon already. More then normal.

[​IMG]

Emma was beating everyone with codling and pollack.

[​IMG]

The blokes were being well and truely outfished.

The wind picked up and all went quiet at the top of the tide. Then we moved to some broken ground and Jeremy, Laura and I were back to trying to find the bream. Jeremy got his first for 2012.

[​IMG]

And soon afterwards Laura got into her first ever bream.

[​IMG]

I got my first 2 for the year but they weren't very big so back they went. The highlight for me was having this little juvenile Greenfinch come and hang out on my rod for a bit. He hopped over to Laura's rod for a visit and then back to mine. His mate turned up a couple of minutes later and off the went back to the land.

[​IMG]

And that was it. Time to get back to shore and gut the fish whilst playing Russian Roulette with the resident harbour seals and getting rained upon. It had been raining in town all morning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the upshot of the short trip...

The girls smashed the boys.

Several firsts were had.

Atlantis, Newquay (Matt Robins) comes highly recommended.

Last nights fish supper was lush (Thanks Ant and Em for cooking).

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. sunfish 43

sunfish 43 Member

Ah tis the pheromones Matt:laugh:, as per the report and pics are ace with quite a few 1st's, well done GALS and guys.:1a: Aje

3. Tipper

Tipper Member

Fishing on a stag do, that's style, wedding reception on a charter boat would be even better :)

4. Poughill Reef?

Poughill Reef? Cliff Dangler

Hey Tipper I hope you're doing well?

If you had told me before I went that I was going to go to Newquay on a stag do, I’d return with a picture of a small bird.. sat on my rod, I’d post it on the Internet and the misses wouldn’t blow a seal…. I’d never have believed you!!!

5. julesthegardner

julesthegardner Member

I know someone who went fishing on his wedding day morning AND on his honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :wub::cc_surren

Great report there Matt, nice to see you and your lady getting out among the fish, keep up the good work.
    :thumbs::sun:

6. craftycatch

craftycatch Member

quality stuff matt,

if i have freinds down later in the year we may try that boat, looks like a good day out. and a bit of water i've not fished.

any news on team shed's new vessel yet? i'm still gonna be around end of may and looking for a day out on the bream/triggers.

7. Johnny RottenBottom

Johnny RottenBottom Member

nice one there you bayz an maids
    good to see some bream starting to show!!!
    show em the way to north devon please,an tell them to bring some of those guilt heads with em!!!!
    cracking report and photos mate

8. uncle dave

uncle dave Member

Great report and photos matt

9. Mr Pix

Mr Pix Member

Cracking session Matt !!

I'm booked in for a camping trip down that way..might try and sneak a small trip...

Them seal photos are cool......:clap:

10. transporter boy

transporter boy Member

Great report and pics mate, and well done the girls, lets hope them bream start to come in down the rivers ready for my kayak sessions

11. glazzer

glazzer Member

great report and pics chap...