1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Bait pumping north Devon area

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by bealesy88, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bealesy88

bealesy88 Member

Hi there, just got a new Shakespeare alley long slim bait pump. I live in the north Devon area I was wandering if anybody new the best place to pump for lugworm? I have been to crow point and instow. Don't think that crow point is ideal to use the pump as it's quite shingley under the sand. Has anybody pumped on any of the storm beaches I.e woolacombe/Saunton/crodye? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Ianpick

Ianpick Member

A couple of things that may help you out. Your target worm will be blacklug.
    Pumping common lug is more complicated and less productive than pumping black lug. Not many people bother even trying. Commons are more likely to be dug out with a fork than pumped.
    If the ground is at all stoney you will find it very difficult to get the pump in the sand. You also stand a good chance of damaging your pump, steer clear of those areas.
    No - one has replied to your post indicating to me that the areas you mention are on known to produce blacks, have you seen anyone pumping in those places? If not, there lies an answer. That said, I have pumped blacklug in a couple of places that have produced when I was just having a go for the hell of it.
    If you can get hold of a copy of the "Bait Pumper's Bible" by Mick Sullivan (Matchman on the forum) it will give you lots of pointers and tips you will be able to use in your area.

4. bealesy88

bealesy88 Member

Ok thanks for you help

5. the_cod_father

the_cod_father Member

Hello, Sorry to put a downer on things but I have walked along the beaches at Westward Ho! Croyde and Woolacombe many of times in the past with the dog and have never seen any worm casts there, but maybe I wasn't walking close enough to the low tide mark to be able to see any... I'm pretty sure you don't get black lug anywhere in Devon or Cornwall which is why tackle shops have to order it in from Wales. You'll have more luck digging for blow lug in the Taw/ Torridge estuary.

6. bealesy88

bealesy88 Member

Hi thanks for the reply! I have got loads of worms digging at crow point. I'm trying to find good spots to pump. Brought a pump the other day and not really been out to use it.

7. westcountryman

westcountryman Member

Ok, get yourself back to Instow, go down to the cricket club, so, turn right just after the RM base & roadbridge. There's parking (£1 an hour...pirates!) go past the cafe,it's all overpriced beach huts & yummy mummys & walk down onto the beach, where the Marines launch the hovercraft & landing craft. Turn right, go past the stone wall at the cricket club, over the rocks & you'll be faced with about a quarter mile of sandy beach, absolutely covered with casts , bait pumping heaven!!
    It's where I always go for worm.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Rob

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor