1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

bait stops

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by mike hemming, Jan 9, 2017.

1. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

how do you use bait stops ,, iv brought a pack of rig and float stops from gerrys , and no instructions , they tiny rubber thingys on a key ring thingy lol , how do you put em on your line snoods ect ect , thanks all

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. noddy141058

noddy141058 Member

google it Mike,
    pics on u tube

4. doctor fish

doctor fish Member

Love 'em, must have piece of kit mate :)

I use separate clip on snoods and just tie the snood clip onto the snood length then slide on a rig stop bead, a sequin after this then the hook .....

image.jpg So the sequin is set at the right point by the bait stop so your bait can slide up over the hook eye but not so much so that it can slide up and off the hook, so the presentation is spot on every time and you know when it splashes down its got maximum chance of reaching the sea bed intact and not getting pushed up and off the hook image.jpg

Sorry the pics are a bit lame , old iPad with a vga camera, hopefully the show how they go on though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

lol sorry mate but thats not one bit of good , i whant to no how to thread them on to the snood is there a proper way or do you just pull it off and try to thread the snood into the tiny hole that even with glass's on i cant see it lol

6. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

iv looked n looked lol think iv brought something that belongs in the bin mmmmmmmmmmm

7. doctor fish

doctor fish Member

The rubber beads are on a fine wire loop, just pop the snood line through the loop and slide 1 rubber bead off the loop up onto the line , it's easy on most lb bs snoods but get up to 40lb+ and they can take a bit of persuading. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu sooooooo much , great help , owe you one , cheers mate

• Like Like x 2
  9. doctor fish

doctor fish Member

Keep em on the wires, once off they're a bugger to get anything through :)

There used to be a couple of sizes + some luminous ones, the bigger ones came in a pack of one with 3x5 beads on the one tab, the smaller ones had 2 tabs with 3x5 beads on , think Veals used to be about the cheapest at 75p a pack . I think Gerry's just have the one size now, or maybe they've just not ordered any in for a bit :)

10. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

just tied up a couple of traces and tell you what they make em look a treat , very tidy , thanks doctor fish

11. gert

gert Member

Hi,

i use one or two silicone tube stops : they do exactely the same ... but cheaper;)

Gert

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

tryed that but not as good as these babys

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nottah1

nottah1 Member

Used to use these all the time but found they split or came loose but now use silicon tube stops all the time you've just got to make sure you use the correct diameter of tubing for the mono size you are using for snoods then you get a nice neat stop.
    Pete

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Crosscut

Crosscut Member

I use a power gum stop knot :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Levi the Dog

Levi the Dog

I use short bits of 1mm silicon tubing threaded through twice as stops. Work a treat...

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

I thought that these bait stops would be just what the doctor ordered, till I used some, 35lb hook snood, bait stop and sequin, Loop Rigs.Cast and the stop flew up the snood with the bait behind it, I ended up having to use 3 on a snood before they stopped slipping.
    Not that I am a tight Yorkshireman,but I aint paying for something that can only be used once . I even ended up threading snood line through previously used bait stops with a needle, but that ended up a nightmare.. I am back to silicone tubing on loop rigs or clipped rigs, , it works just the same and can be used several times, cheaper , and imo better.
    On the other hand, of you arent casting far, then the stops can be OK, but then again, if you aint casting far you can use flapper rigs and so dont need bait stops !

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Matthew b

Matthew b Member

No1 else just use 15lb mono stop knots, cost fk all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lipslicker

lipslicker Member

Best thing I have found is a paper clip.
    Push a 'tag end' through eye of hook, facing backwards, then wind the paper clip wire in a spiral around the hook, leaving another 'tag end' at the bottom.
    This stops bait sliding down the hook in the cast AND up the cast in the landing.

Obviously it does stop threading worms on hooks, but if just tying everything down with bait elastic, job sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

phone wire

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

Been using that method for years Ben, usually off the rocks or uptiding, on 4/0"s or bigger, the thing is , on the smaller hooks,,size 1, 1/0, 2/0 the eye is usually too small for the wire, it does work well enough just wound around the hook shank though, as you say, its a bit of a sod to get the elastic off the hook shank to rebait sometimes.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rouge Moullet

Rouge Moullet Member

Blakdog use to sell small bags of silicone tube bait stops .... not sure if he still does tho ...

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor