1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. A NOTE FOR ALL MEMBERS

You will need to update your bookmarks to be able to visit some sections of the new WSF Forums. If you have bookmarks stored these need to be updated.

We recommend you go to the WSF Forums Home Page by clicking the link below, remove your bookmarks and then re-add them in.

WSF Forums: WSF Forums

Best time to fish

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by bamberjim, May 26, 2010.

1. Offline
    bamberjim

bamberjim Member

Was wondering if i could get some information...

I have fished 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide (luckily at dusk) and been succesfull with mackeral and small bass in the past..

If there is not a high tide at dusk or dawn are these still good times to fish? or is a better option fish at high tide during the daylight hours..

Off to Dorset on Saturday and am thinking Chesil Beach for Mackeral and the likes

Any info much appreciated

Jim
  2. Offline
    gulp me drug

gulp me drug Guest

The best times can vary from venue to venue. The Dorset members will tell you what's best for Chesil.........but tides will take priority over light generally, even though many fish will feed better at night. Plaice and mackerel being notable exceptions.
  3. Offline
    bamberjim

bamberjim Member

Thanks, its get a little confusing..LOL fishing with the swimmers then :huh:
  4. Offline
    aaronjunited

aaronjunited Member

The best times to fish on most venues are 2 or 3 hours either side of high tide. As gulp me drug said exceptions for during the day are mackerel and plaice, some times flounders and dog fish during daylight. It just depends wether its rough ground going onto clean ground, the fish would use the rough ground to hide during daylight, but if you can cast just beyond the weed wer the fish hide onto the clean ground they will come out to grab your bait.

Night time is best on beaches generally, you can catch all sorts fishing the flood tide. Whiting, codling, flounder, dogfish, coalfish, pollack, plaice, dabs, smoothies and any other species that come to feed on the beach your fishing. I would usually look for a high tide around 10pm or 9pm in winter when its dark, that way you can fish from 6pm or 7pm right up to high tide and then 2 or 3 hours down depending how the fishing is. During the summer you will need to fish a high tide around 11pm coming on to midnight as its only getting dark around 10.30pm.

Try to get it where your fishing atleast 3-4 hours of darkness during the flood and ebb, you should catch fish for your efforts, mind you, your not always guaranteed a catch.

Anymore advice just ask.
  5. Online
    Mackeminexile

Mackeminexile Back from Exile

Have a look on the south coast forum, plenty of info on there about Chesil. That said Chesil is one of those beaches that can throw anything up at any time - the deep water means tide state is not as important as at other venues - it will fish throughout the tide.

As for heading down there this weekend, with the bank holiday it may well be wall to wall tinsel tossers. HT Saturday is 20:35 for Weymouth, just expect a bit of a walk if you want to get away from the crowds :black_eye
  6. Offline
    fishingrhod

fishingrhod Member

that's funny, would've said 2 hours either side of low myself...

whole point is each area and venue and species fishes differently. but you want info for Chesil and there should be plenty on here.

worth occasionally dropping on venues outside the times that everyone says are best. might be surprised by what you get.
  7. Offline
    Pennellug RagFlappa

Pennellug RagFlappa Short Arms Big Rod

Agree each venues different and if it's anything like this area then you'll get conflicting advice based on both experience & Folk-Lore for each Mark.

I live in front of a surf beach and I can set my Tide Clock by anglers that turn up 2 hours before High returning to their cars an hour after.
    Did the same myself for years ..and being a slow learner it took me a while to appreciate that same 2 much more experienced guys were coming off the beach just as I was setting up.. invariably with something decent for the table.
    Last year I started fishing it in from half hour after Low
    ...don't know how I would've done fishing "traditional" 2 up 1 down last year.. but I doubt I'd have caught over 25 Bass on that one mark.
  8. Offline
    bamberjim

bamberjim Member

thanks for all the help
  9. Offline
    rubidub

rubidub Member

i also get confused with conflicting advise so i am trying every combination of tide and time of day and making notes so i can sus out my marks. i was told when lure fishing always fish on a flooding tide because an injured fish would not swim against the tide, that makes sense to me. i have caught fish at many differt tides fishing on the bottom so would like to think dawn, night and dusk make the best fishing. but i am very very very far from being an expert.
  10. Offline
    krackoff chris

krackoff chris KRACKPOT CHRIS

really depends where your fishing and what your targetting but on average i find darkness coming into light works best ,,
  11. Offline
    BigLoada

BigLoada Member

I have often been told about fishing 2 hours either side of low or high tide. I am curious, why this is? Why are the two middle hours not usually good for fishing?