1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Bib and brace.

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by andy1965, Jan 4, 2017.

1. andy1965

andy1965 Member

After having 2 pairs of Daiwa (Sundridge) SAS bib and brace fall apart within a few months I'm in the market for something warm, waterproof and hopefully longer lasting.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Vass-Tex 350 Heavy Duty TEAM Vass Edition, the Vass-Tex 175 Breathable lightweight TEAM Vass Edition or the Imax Thermo so I was wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad, of any one of them?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I have the vass b&b in the 350 wright, don't think they are "team" anything? Bought them last year as I do a lot of loch fishkng for trout from boats and i was sick and tired of getting a wet arus. Went through all manner of alleged breathable waterproofs including the SAS which barely ladted the season.

The 350's have been spot on so far for both boat and the times i have been down the shore. They are not breathable, but i knew that when i bought them so you can get a bit of condensation on the inside which i combat by layerkng up and the outef layef is a pair of craghopper kiwi lined troos which dry off very quickly once you have stripped the waterproofs off. I decided i would rather deal with a bit if condensation than be **** wet through.
    I also bought them big so i had a bit of comfort sitting in the boat and have found that as i am a relative short arse that the straps are long enough that i can unbuckle and let the front down for a wizz, without a jacket off derobe.
    Anything breathable to me means it will leak especially leggings. I do have breathable waterproof jackets but even they need a wash and reproof every year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. chukka

chukka Member

Get some bassboots bottoms and matching top and layer up underneath, you then have something that you can use all season long. They roll up small and can be taken off if it gets too hot. 100% waterproof and fit for purpose. I tend to use breathable Chesties more than I do salopettes as they are just as comfortable but more adaptable and allow you to wade.

• Like Like x 1
  5. andy1965

andy1965 Member

Cheers for the replies lads ;).

I'm thinking of buying a Bassboots smock to go with my breathable waders for lure fishing but the bib and brace will primarily be for bait fishing in the winter, I tend to fish a lot of rock marks, which are tough on clothing, so I want something both warm and hard wearing.

In the past I've used the Sundridge Crossflow Pro floatation suit, which lasted well but I figured that there was no point in paying a lot of money for a breathable suit when I was wearing loads of layers underneath. I've now switched to the cheaper SAS suit but while the jacket is standing up well the bib and brace have been pants, quite literally :BigGrin:.

I mentioned the Vass-Tex 175 Breathable lightweights in my original post but that's only because of the price and to be honest I'm looking more towards the heavy duty options.

6. arthur daley

arthur daley Member

Just got a pair of savage gear bib n brace, quilted and look well made, time will tell i suppose but their other clothing is really good may be worth a look

• Like Like x 1
  7. Evocative Angling

Evocative Angling Member

Just my view but...

Everything IMAX I have seen becomes destroyed very quickly when doing anything other than standing still on a pier.
    With Vass its either completely waterproof and very sweaty meaning you get wet and cold from condensation or the breathable options are like a sieve.

Norway fishing usually throws some awful cold, wind and rain at you and a lot of anglers tend to go for some really good quality kit. You can ask the guides out there what they use and I am sure they'll give you an honest opinion but I have found it way better to layer up and look for high quality outer shells that are breathable and waterproof. Offshore sailing gear is great for sea fishing.

Musto BR1 BR2 are very popular but can cost an arm and a leg if you don't shop around. They are Goretex, highly waterproof and breathable. The trick is to find last years stock and buy them.

I have two pairs of Henri Lloyd salopettes (TP1, TP2) and they are also offshore sailing gear made of hard wearing goretex that lasts. I paid £100 each pair, they wash well too.

It's not about being the designer guy on the beach, just about being comfortable in the weather and not having to buy a new set every year. Mine have lasted years now and you just layer up underneath with everything from down, to fleeces, to base layers depending on the time of year and temps.

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=br1

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=henri+lloyd+tp2

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

If you have looked at the Non breathable Vass 350, why not get some Guy Cotten's ?

• Like Like x 2
  9. andy1965

andy1965 Member

Cheers for the advice all, leaning more towards spending a few quid more to get something longer lasting now.

Just checking out the Musto BR1 and I was just wondering how they are for size, I'm 5' 8", which the Musto size chart gives as Medium, but would I be better off getting the Large to allow for wearing layers underneath?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Evocative Angling

Evocative Angling Member

I would just buy from somewhere that allows an easy size change if needed. Obviously if your legs are stocky or very thin then that will be a consideration. Most of these salopettes will fasten down at the bottom to stop them dragging if they are too long or I tend to tuck them in my wellies at times. If you're really cheeky though, go to a shop that stocks them locally, try them on, say thanks and then just order online. :)

I bought a size bigger than I need mainly use I because I wanted to be able to put some expedition down trousers underneath which make me look like the marsh mellow man from ghostbuster but they are a life saver when fishing in the snow up in the Arctic circle. Most people won't need that much space down here though.

11. andy1965

andy1965 Member

Cheers for the advice :wink:.

I've just seen the forecast for Thursday and though it doesn't compare with the Arctic circle it's still brass monkeys weather so I need to get something to wear pretty damn quickly, that means I haven't really got time to try before I buy.

Looking at the chart though the next size up from Medium is for heights from 5' 11" to 6' 1" and being a relative short a**e of 5' 8" I think that's pushing it a bit :laugh:. Medium it has to be then :thumbsup:.

12. Evocative Angling

Evocative Angling Member

Sounds 'M".
    I am in NW Scotland fishing on Friday and I am trying to work out if its snow or rain that i'll be standing in. The joys of January.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hooperman

hooperman Member

I have the musto BR1 inshore jacket and trousers, best bit of kit I've ever bought, made well ,totally waterproof, breathable and light, well worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PeteBauld

PeteBauld Member

Musto br1 and br2 are not goretex. You need to go to mpx or hpx gear for goretex.
    For the original poster. I am 5'8" and just got musto mpx trousers in medium. The legs are a tad long, but otherwise, plenty room for layering up underneath without them looking too big for me.

15. hooperman

hooperman Member

Gortex or not, amazing bits of kit

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

If you after a shell and not botheted about camo Have a look at army surplus mtp multicam salopettes bib and brace petroleum protective , these are heavy duty REAL GORETEX and are the best value waterproofs you will EVER buy , as is most of the other hd army surplus stuff , you can also buy the paclite stuff

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

That looks like good gear. Would you recommend offshore or inshore items for beach fishing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Evocative Angling

Evocative Angling Member

When looking I always search 'offshore' sailing gear. My Henri Lloyd 2 pairs of salopettes have been fantastic but most people I know and fish with are all on BR1's or BR2's. When you think about those round the world yacht guys in some of the conditions they have to sail in and the range of movement they need, it's a no brainer if this gear can be found at the right price for fishing. Helly Hansen are another but I haven't used their bib and braces, but I have used most of their base layers that wick away the moisture from your skin and keep you warm, the wool mix ones are great for winter, just don't tumble dry them.

If you really want to go silly you can look at Arc'teryx, Rab also do some good stuff. I want a really great Smock either Musto or HL but they rarely drop to a price that's acceptable for most of us. If you do think about the economy of it though, a pair may last you 10 years or more if you are not abusive whereas quite a few of the run of the mill fishing specific ones here mean you keep constantly buying new when they tear or lose their waterproof capabilities.

19. Thames Swampy

Thames Swampy Member

I'm 5ft8, 32" waist, I wear br1's in large, they are a bit long but can get layers underneath and are comfy enough.

20. andy1965

andy1965 Member

Thanks all for some great advice, Musto BR1's now ordered :wink:.

• Like Like x 2
  21. hooperman

hooperman Member

You won't regret it

• Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor