1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Bondaseal, the silent movie !

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by STAN M, Jan 27, 2015.

1. STAN M

STAN M Member

OK you asked, absolutely no idea what more I can show, aint rocket science.

Started off with a few pics of what you need, (not a lot really). They may not be in any sequence but perhaps a Mod could help out there if I`ve screwed up.

I`ve also made a wee video whatsit but as I was doing it myself there is no great editing involved, never taken one in my life. I can upload the pics to start with but on the video I`m not sure how to do that, if anybody knows it is 286mb and at this moment sitting in a new folder on desktop, have done nothing with it.

As you can see from the pictures a block of "eggbox foam" (fleabay) and that has been cut into a roughly fish finger sized chunk. In the glass jar is simple, good old cellulose thinners. Latex glove as the BS is sticky as bugs on a windscreen.

[​IMG]

The tin of BS, when new I took off the metal screw cap but left the inner plastic cap on, drilled a1/8th inch hole in the metal cap and plugged that with a self tapper. This tin is probably 2 month old and as you can see there is a good old build up / seal of BS around the self tapper. (obviously once that is done you remove the plastic inner cap, (let`s face it somebody would ask :(). Keep opening the main cap and air gets in, it will soon deteriorate.

[​IMG]

In this case the rod is a Cono-flex, 6ft 30lb stand-up blank so it fits fine into the dryer rollers. If it was longer I`d use the wee metal stand, weighed down with some lead sections so it does not flip over. You could use a "V" in a box if you want. Only the last inch or so of the tip is in the support and that will have a guide and thread over it so no need for BS.

[​IMG]

On the video, as said, it fits in the dryer rollers. It was asked on another thread if the blank is turning, yes, in this case 18rpm, same as resin. Stuck a dod of masking tape on with marks to show the turning towards end of the video. Not shown on the video I actually forgot, I sponged a nice clean edge in just in front of the masking tape. Everything below that is handle and grips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prior to coating the blank was rubbed down with heavy grit paper (180) do not want it smooth I want a good key for the BS. Blank was then cleaned down about 4-5 times with the celly thinners and then left to flash off.

After coating I left it turning around 20 mins or so , everything had levelled out, not sure what else I can say except that the workshop which is normally 68-70 degrees was blasted up to around 80 for this job, only took 3-4 minutes for 5ft tip of the blank.

That is enough for now, trying to upload this video to photobucket.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. wyting

wyting Team Hr jones

thankyou stan, thats great info and very helpfull of you..
    looking forward to the vid hope you can get it on here.
    do you actually brush the rod with the sponge or sort of let it run on...

4. shaeg

shaeg Member

That's great Stan thanks for making the effort Cheers Brian

5. STAN M

STAN M Member

Doing what I can guys but screwed up with format or something on the video, (actually I`m lying, sound was on, nothing wrong with format and as will become clear in the video no way I was taking the stick for the sound effects from you lot):p no problem still got more blanks to do next day or so, see what happens when my mate bells me and tells me what a dummy I am ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. STAN M

STAN M Member

OK here goes nothing, assuming the link works. Spent about 3hrs trying to upload 8 mins of video on to you tubie, gotta be an easier way. By the way stick your headphones or speakers on, turns out it is not silent after all

Anyway had to do this 100% on my own so ended up as 2 wee 4 min vids so you just need to click the link for the youtubie (I hope)

As to the finished job today, stuff another hour or two uploading, just a couple of pics. Rod stayed in the dryers overnight but only turning on timers for about 20mins. Nothing else going in the dryers yesterday anyway.

And a wee warning, this stuff does stink so keep your area ventilated. I don`t but can`t tell you not to :)

In theory the link above should be part 1 :eek: all I gotta do now is find part 2, I hate computers.:mad:

H`mm according to my preview on here it worked, computers are brilliant things, I just love them :D

Looks like you don`t even need to click a link.

And a wee edit, I did say EGGSHELL sponge in the video, if you search fleabay for that you may not find it, actually called EGGBOX sponge.

Have lots of fun, plenty streaks and loadsa sticky fingers. I await the next problem with bated breath ;) Pretty soon a Mod might decide to stickie this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. STAN M

STAN M Member

Right next morning now, blank is out of the dryer where it slept cosy overnight. No way I`m uploading another 2hrs so a couple of finished shots.

Might add, in the video I mentioned that Connie had given the blank a very light sealing coat. I`d rubbed that down to almost bare blank. In the video as the dryers were turned on you could see the wee reflections where some of the light coat was not fully taken off by me. I know for a fact Connie use BS, (was Stephen put me on to it years ago), so I was confident there would be no reaction. Had I not known or been unsure what the original coat was I would have rubbed it until every last spec had been removed.

Just an afterthought, anything in this thread, that`s how I do it, nothing written in stone, you can experiment. If you are adventurous you can even make a wee hole in the sponge, stick it over the rod tip, soak it in BS and pull it quickly "DOWN" the blank whilst it is vertical, very messy but works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. silly blanker

silly blanker Member

Thanks Stan, as always very informative

9. wyting

wyting Team Hr jones

stan your a legend...cant thank you enough, now im looking forward to it rather than worrying about it.
    a big thankyou again and a well deserved sticky...

10. STAN M

STAN M Member

Welcome guys, just remember that is only one way to do it, plenty more ways, nothing in stone, I never wrote the book, (maybe one day :D)

Somebody did ask about all the black and marks in the dryers, it`s years old residue from spray paints and the likes, not dirt.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  11. Richy_S

Richy_S Member

Nice informative video Stan! However I was checking out all those boxes of Gudebrod lol :D

12. Endurothumpers

Endurothumpers Member

Excellent vid Stan I do it exactly the same way except I buy those cheap inch foam brushes with wood handle then just discard after use.

13. STAN M

STAN M Member

Lots and lots more GB in the drawers as well :D.

14. liphook

liphook Member

Oh Stan you are a tease. HOARDER, HOARDER!

15. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor