1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Braid line on carp rod ???

Discussion in 'Casting' started by bmthguy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. bmthguy

bmthguy Member

hi guys I just thought I check!! if I can put braid line on a carp rod ? But I ain't going mad with it on casting! Is mainly for fun and get it out the sea ! I am using it on beach fishing mainly using for 2-3oz weight only !! I was told by my mate braid line might cut in to the ring ?? So any advice ?? IMG_2790.JPG IMG_2792.JPG

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. poledark

poledark Member

Used braid on my carp rods for almost 30 years, and my barbel rods, and my beach rods. Provided you have ceramic lined guides you will have no trouble. I know a few guys that hit huge distances with braid on their carp rods...at least that's what they call them, 4lb test curve is really a light beach rod isn't it?

Den

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bmthguy

bmthguy Member

Yeah is a light rod is my first try I usually use beach caster but I want to play with the fish with lighter gear! What braid line strength shall I use on my rods ? I got some old 40lb braid is that too strong for light rod ??

5. iowspence

iowspence Member

Since starting up again sea angling this summer after 30 years of carp angling I have been using my carp gear and braid as standard with no problems whatsoever and caught some huge fish whilst doing it. I have been using 30lb power pro with a shock leader and using a 5 or 6oz lead plus bait on my spod rod.

A 40lb braid will have a diameter of probably 0.25mm so the equivalent of a 10lb mono so fine to combine it with your rod and reel you intend to use.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gary k

Gary k Member

I use 30lb braid on a 3.5tc rod and quite happily lob a 5oz weight 70m, the rod is stiffer than the cheap composite beach caster that I also use. I have been matching it with a Shimano 6010 baitrunnner but wouldn't recommend as it is a bit on the small side.

• Like Like x 1
  7. coach

coach Member

Braid line won't cut into Any modern ring under normal usage.- unless the rod cost a fiver!! In which case , you get what you pay for !!..
    So much crap talked on here .

8. gert

gert Member

Hi,

.... "any modern ring" ???? ..... i wouldn't be so sure with braid and modern guides like minima's, which have no inner rings!:eek:;)

Gert

• Like Like x 1
  9. coach

coach Member

The inner ring is inconsequential. The only factor of consequence is surface to surface.
    Everything wears eventually! 'Normal usage' also implies normal lifetime???? Modern ceramics are vitually impervious. Minimas are imho field rings and not designed for long term fishing use..which is why they are usually taped on.
    I would Never have a fishing rod built with minimas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. gert

gert Member

Hi,

this is quite a creative way of putting a previous, wrong statement right!!!! ;)

Gert

11. coach

coach Member

You can justify any opinion if you want to be pedantic and nit picking.
    How about trying to be constructive rather than critical and 'clever'.:wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. gert

gert Member

Hi,

Sorry if you feel offended, but minima's are quite popular guides nowadays : i was just warning the op not to use guides without inner ring when you firmly stated that "any modern ring" should be ok with braid ... imho that's constructive, not critical or "clever"!

Gert

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. coach

coach Member

I accept your apology.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. coach

coach Member

P.S.I suggest you have a closer look at minimas. They most certainly do have an inner ring.:eek:;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. bmthguy

bmthguy Member

I learn so much lol cheers guys is going to be fun with my carp rod and braid line

• Like Like x 2
  16. gert

gert Member

Hi,

Have fun with it,that's the most important ;)

Gert

17. coach

coach Member

Gert.
    www.guidesnblanks.com
    Search Pacbay Minima 4s...
    and I roughly quote " Minima 4s.. bright chrome centre - 30% lighter.. than the same guide with a ceramic centre"..
    So take your 'disagree' and stick it where the sun don't shine,,, and get your FACTS right before you comment. Unless of course you want to 'Disagree' with them too! I'm sure they'd be fascinated to hear Your opinion.

18. gert

gert Member

Well coach,

unlike you i will remain polite ....

i could indeed have been a bit more specific and write "ceramic inner ring"but tbh i think you know very well what i meant and obviously want to be right at all cost ...

Anyway i think the op has had all the answers he needed by now, and since this isn't going anywhere i will withdraw from this ridiculous argument. End of the story for me!

Gert

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. coach

coach Member

Now that youve lost it you mean Hahahaha., and bearing in mind you started it!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. iowspence

iowspence Member

To be honest fella, in the last 5 months or so since getting back into it i have preferred using my spod rod and braid. I brought a few "proper" beach casters and a multitude of Multipliers, but have got rid of most of them apart from a couple of Continental type rods that i just brought and will now use alongside my Carp rods.

Only once did i ever feel they were under-gunned and that was on a very deep beach with a huge spring tide. I have used them all over the IOW and even Chesil a few times and they were absolutely fine and brilliant fun to use, bagging me some huge fish, so ignore the politics on here and have fun with your rod and Braid, which is what's most important :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. coach

coach Member

Damn!!! , missed the Brexit v Remoaner debate, must be on a different forum/thread??.....
    But Yes, enjoy the lighter approach with perhaps one word of caution. Avoid weed in the water at all costs.
    Conti and carp rods don't mix with bladderwrack, grass, plastic etc.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor