1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Braid or Mono for Uptiding (can't find a definitive answer...)

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by PaulJC37, Aug 21, 2016.

1. PaulJC37

PaulJC37 Member

Evening all,

I am new to WSF and would like to know people's opinion on whether they prefer braided mainline or monofilament for uptiding? I have looked for answers to this question here, and on the internet but the more I look the more confused I get! I understand you need a 'belly of line' in the tide to pull the grip lead into the sea bed, so does the thinner diameter of braid mean that this won't work?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. zzippyguy

zzippyguy Member

I use(as do most of my mates) braid mainline and a shock/rubbing leader.
    The braid cuts through the tide allowing us to use lighter leads and the shock/rubbing leader allows the initial pull of the bite and the motion of the boat/tide to be absorbed
    The down sides of using braid is that as it gets wet it can slip under your thumb and if you get a birdy the loops tend to be basically tiny
    Just my opinion

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonD

JonD Member

I use braid for just about everything, another vote for braid.

JonD

• Like Like x 3
  5. PaulJC37

PaulJC37 Member

Thanks for the replies. Zzippyguy, what breaking strain and length of rubbing leader do you normally use?

Paul.

6. Woody33

Woody33 Member
    1. The Quicksilver Owners Club

I've tried both and much prefer mono for uptiding, I find the lead holds much better as the larger diameter of the mono catches the tide much so you can get a nice bow in your line to hold the lead.

Also I like multis for uptiding rather than fs and I don't get on with braid on multis and I find the thickness of braid you have to use to prevent birdys makes any effect of the thinner diameter over mono pretty much negligible

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

Another thumbs up for Braid, although I use a big fixed spool,about a 20 ft 40lb mono leader onto a 30lb braid mainline... never have any probs at all.
    I do use a Multi as a backup reel loaded with 25 lb mono, with the same 40lb mono leader,but it is nothing like as sensitive as Braid, with braid you know about the fish before the lead pulls out, by seeing several definite twitches or knocks on the rod tip, with mono, at least in my experience, the rod tip just springs back and the fish has already been hooked.
    Both work, its just the anglers preference really.

Dave

8. NickK-UK

NickK-UK Member

Uptide rods are soft tipped so buffers the motion of the boat - even with braid.. the old thing was that the mono would cause a bow and that would cause the lead to be anchored. I use 30lb braid on a fixed spool Spheros 6000SW with a 50-80lb shock leader. I use a Agility uptide although it's heavier uptide.

9. Andy_Ba

Andy_Ba Member

I use 25lb mono on a SL30SH for uptiding (nice fast retrieve to get to bow of line in) but everybody else I fish with uses braid, as above. Don't have any problems with it, even in the bg tides of the BC, but when I fish on my mates boat I use his spare uptider (braid) and don't have any problems with that either!

The only reason, for me, that mine has mono is that this was my "heavy ground" shore reel that now use on the uptider and haven't got round to re-spooling yet. Will probably re-spool to (30lb) braid when I get round to it.

10. PaulJC37

PaulJC37 Member

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have gone with braid, and a mono shock/rubbing leader for now. I'll see how I get on.

Cheers!

11. Woody33

Woody33 Member
    1. The Quicksilver Owners Club

Hi Andy,

Do you think 30lb braid would cast well on a big reel like a SL30?

12. Andy_Ba

Andy_Ba Member

Yes, when I fish on Headlights boat I use his uptider which has 30lb braid (on an Abu though not a SLOSH) and that casts fine, so can't see the difference. We both use the Chinese braid off fleabay.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. stevielh

stevielh Member

with out a doubt its braid for me...use it on the mersey,,fast flowing and no problem holding bottom..

14. zzippyguy

zzippyguy Member

Sorry for the late reply Paul, I use 30lb braid and 60 - 80lb shock/rubbing leader, however as of late I've gone over to using Diawa J braid (79lb) straight through, no knots to worry about

15. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor