1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Braid Problems

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by thesharkfisherman, Jan 10, 2017.

1. thesharkfisherman

thesharkfisherman Member

As I fish mainly for shark I am not a great fan of braid but I bought 300m of 40lb+ spiderwire for a recent wrecking trip following advice from several more experienced wreckers. The initial results were good, less weight required to reach the bottom and easier to hold. I was starting to be impressed then two of us got tangled so we wound up to sort it out. As I was winding, my line went slack. It had snapped for no apparent reason. A couple of hours later, after a few enquiries I decided to wind in and check the bait. About half way up the line went slack again and, again, for no apparent reason, the line had snapped. Another couple of hours and I struck on a positive take. Yes, you've guessed it - the line snapped. I have never experienced anything like this with mono. The line did not break on any knots. Any ideas??

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. dean_gifford

dean_gifford Member

Sounds like a damaged eye. Braid, being thin and having no real abrasion resistance suffers badly from damaged eyes.
    I had a guy onboard on Sunday who had the same problem, he thought it may have been the new braid he'd bought so changed reels - that had the same problem.

This article may help you find the damaged eye.
    https://fishingmag.co.nz/fishing-ta...esting-cracked-broken-fishing-rod-line-guides

Unfortunately, this may mean that spool of braid is useless now. Id recommend trying to put it under some load to find any additional damaged areas before you fish with it again; tie it to a tree and walk it all out, then give it a yank ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. StuFish24

StuFish24 Member

As above David, but spider wire isn't great, better off with Diawa J 8 braid in 25/30 lb

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ken C

Ken C Member

never seen this myself. But I feel for you.
    I'd check the rod guides and if the braid isnt counterfeit...

I recommend whiplash crystal in 40 or 50lb for wrecking - so thin you can go up to 50lb and so you can see the benefits of added abrasion resistance and higher breaking strain still with less weight required...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. StuFish24

StuFish24 Member

40/50lb now I know why you tangle everyone else on the boat!!! :roflpuke:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ken C

Ken C Member

And I thought you were in my team :veryconfused:

Hope you find another space :devilish:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. StuFish24

StuFish24 Member

It's alright I'll go do some proper fishing then!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Definitely sounds like a bad spool of braid.

Never been a fan of branded braids becasue of there high cost, all you are doing is paying for a name.

I've been using this braid for the past 10 years and have no problems with it at all and it gets hammered here with Tope and Smoothhounds and in Norway with Cod, Coalfish and Halibut.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8Strands-...hash=item27dbe9a10d:m:mVYnNXxv51Rnc54Gr-5GE9w

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. NickK-UK

NickK-UK Member

never had a problem with any braid when wrecking - including:
    spider wire stealth 50lb
    gardener Kenetic 50lb (noisy!)
    Power pro 30lb
    Spiderwire ezbraid 20lb
    Sufix 832 26lb 8x

I typically use a mono shock leafy 50-80lb and not had a problem except large blonde rays snaking 30 & 40 lb line in strong tides.

Always check the eyes before a trip. I had to replace an eye on my 50lb standup but not had a problem with three other rods.

I am considering a roller tip for the stand up rod as the braid has worn the colour off the tip ring. Not for fast fish but to help the angle that the braid takes with a medium bend rod and deep water.

11. Glenlivet

Glenlivet Member

Advert says dispatched from Hong Kong. Any problems with import duty?

12. Glenlivet

Glenlivet Member

Make sure the roller is a very good fit. I finally binned my old Eurocommander due to braid slipping between the roller and the frame of the eye.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

No problems and I've had over a dozen spools now, just take about 2 weeks to arrive.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Ideally for braid you need a rod with SIC Silicone Carbide rings

15. Glenlivet

Glenlivet Member

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Very tempted by that WTF LD you've got advertised....... :whistling:

16. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

My mate has exactly the same model and he uses it in Norway where it's high speed retrieve is great in the deeper water, that's the reason I bought one, but I was offered another Daiwa Saltist with line counter for a good price, so I no longer have a need for the WTF so it's never been used.

17. JonD

JonD Member

Hey Mr sharks long time since I've seen you post:frown: sorry to hear you've also had a bad experiance with spiderwire. If you go back over any of my old posts you will find it's he only braid I've ever had that gave me similar results to your own, mine was from my UK days way back.

My advice is remove it and send it back before you lose more expensive wrecking gear and try some of the low budget daiwa braid or powerpro, though powerpro is a little noisy through the guides.

I can understand not wanting to use braid sharking but it's really not to bad and will make any fight a little more lively on your end of the rod. We top shot a decent amount of mono to the top of the braid to give some stretch (give) in the line when chassing billfish. More people are now trying this as it's made the fight feel quite different, it also allows us to drop to much lighter tackle which is way more fun.

Last two trips we've had makos, bronze whalers and two types of hammerheads around our boat, must admit I didn't even consider all our that hard work of hooking one:Oo:

By the way if it's a bad guide ( ring ) then you would be mostly getting the break within a few feet of the reel, if it's breaking down in the water I wouldn't think it's a cracked guide.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Barry E

Barry E Member

It's this global warming David - you found a shoal of Snappers :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Salar

Salar Member

I had the same problem, it was a hairline crack in one of the rod ring liners. To find the crack use a dry baby bud (Q-tip) to run round the inside of the (dry) ring and the fine cotton will snag on the crack and show it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. AnyfishTom

AnyfishTom Previously chooch

guys slightly off topic but what diameter braid would you suggest for genaral downtiding and ocassionally uptiding. Ive bought 40lb Spectra braid just to try 0.30?

21. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

40lb is what I've always used in the UK, mine is 0.32, I also use a 40lb mono leader.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor