1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Busy day at The Needles

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by paullynam, Jan 8, 2017.

1. paullynam

paullynam Member

Headed down to The Needles today. Very thick fog to begin with made for a slow and rather erractic start. Might just be me but it seems a tad tricky to drive in a straight line when you have one eye on the radar and another on the water.

Anyway we eventually got out and decided to drift an onshore wreck only to emerge from the fog to find a boat anchored literally right on top of it. God knows how he got his anchor back!

We decided not to join the scrum off the drop off near the bridge we'd passed earlier and headed out 6 miles or so and dropped anchor in about 100ft. Five hours frantic fishing followed. Mike in particular was on fire. A PB conger of about 50lb. A PB spurdog of 17lb which went back quickly as it seemed to be in pup (so apologies for the poor photo). He also caught more conger than ever before in one trip.

The congers didn't even relent at slack water. Overall we ended up with pout, whiting, blonde ray, undulate ray (11lb - for Mike!), spurdog and conger.

We stopped counting the eels after 20 but on the way in we figured we'd boated several hundred pounds of weight in fish but alas no cod.

A fantastic days sport in flat calm conditions. An excellent start to 2017. I hope it bodes well!

Tight lines folks.

Attached Files:

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 11
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Ian B.

Ian B. Member

Well done those men.

4. JonD

JonD Member

Top session, surprised to hear the bridge being busy this time of the year and in thick fog.

Were you on the wreck close to the light house on Alum bay side?

Why would the congers relent on slack, that's always been the best time and often the only time you can anchor for them at the back of the Wight.

I used to take my lunch breaks on the cliff above sun corner on top of the cliffs when I worked at Alum Bay Glass. Quite miss taking my boat around the needles area.

By the way those are incredibly flat looking seas.

Jon

5. biffo bacon

biffo bacon Member

well done mate great report ;)

6. Wreck fisher

Wreck fisher Member

A good days sport Paul - there are certainly a lot of conger around at the moment to put a bend in the rods, Steve

7. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Nice one Paul, there seems to be more happening at the Western End of the Solent than the East as I was out yesterday anchored in 85ft water and could only catch Dogfish.

How long does it take you to get out to the Needles from Warsash

8. LandlockedAndy

LandlockedAndy Member

Glad to hear I wasn't the only 1. I ventured out to the pullar hole and was catching two dogfish a cast on a pennel set up.

9. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

No you weren't the only one, I anchored in the deeper water just to the east of the Fingers Bank, you went even further East and I saw a few boats out that way, there were several anchored in the area close to me and I saw several more boats on the Fingers, just wasn't a very productive day for most of us, we need a bit more tide something like 4.4m

10. back lash

back lash Member

nice one paul and your mate. there sure seems to be loads of conger around. shame about getting no cod but still sounds like a great day.

11. Glenlivet

Glenlivet Member

Conger is tasty, good solid meat :thumbsup:

12. paullynam

paullynam Member

Thanks guys.

2015 was one of my best years in a long time for cod. In 2016 the cod have been replaced by conger. I've been getting big ones on open ground off the Needles since late August. Never had two dozen plus in one day on open ground until yesterday though.

Steve, words is Needles are fishing better than the Nab, unless you're Garry! In a straight line at 20 kts it's about 75 mins to the six mile marks. Important to run out with the tide.

Jon, we were well out and not in Alum bay. At slack we usually only get pout. Sure enough some jumbos featured but the eels kept biting all through the tides. My lunch is usually a sandwich at my office desk. A hot sausage sandwich afloat on mirror flat seas is very rare. I can see why a lunch with those views would be etched into your memory mate.

Paul

13. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor