1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Casting off rock marks with limited space behind

Discussion in 'Casting' started by BigCat, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BigCat

BigCat Member

Hi everyone, a bit of a different topic to the usual on this section but wondering on how to maximise a cast when space is limited, I.e like when down the rocks with a bank of rocks behind.

Would love to hear suggestions on this. Only some marks it would be good to get over a snaggy patch or reach a tidal rip or just get into extra depth. I'm sure you can think of a lot more reasons why than I can but how do we do it?

I once saw someone swirl the lead around multiple times in a circle, like a sling for instance but wondered about friction burn with tip ring.

I bet someone has some special move that they pull off to get the lead out further in these situations.

Is there some sort of swinging technique?

I sometimes do the "swing in then out then overhead chuck" manoeuvre and also the "off the ground" but would like to hear your takes on these too or if there is a better technique out there. Not even sure which is best out of these two.

Any advice on this very much welcome, cheers in advance guys :)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mick B

Mick B Member

Probably limited to the OHT cast in limited room areas. Use a rod with a firm tip that will pick the lead up straightaway without collapsing under casting compression. Conoflex Highlanders were good rods for this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Poseidon.

Poseidon. Previously sharkbait-oooo-ha-ha

the brighton cast will be your best bet mate

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. BigCat

BigCat Member

Cheers for the advice. Never heard of a Brighton cast, will look into that. Nice one :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

Brighton cast is brilliant for lack of room, comes almost straight overhead rather than around the side too, and as long as youve got room to fit the rod into you can do it.
    Like a groundcast, but set the weight on the ground behind you between you and the rod tip, on maybe a 6-7ft drop, rather than off to the side like a proper groundcast, then cast through more of a vertical plane rather than coming around the side, remembering pull real good on the rod butt with your lower hand, but dont thrash it.
    Hope it makes sense lol
    Quite a few vids on youtube, have a look and try it, it works really well, use it myself quite a bit

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Huss Hustler

Huss Hustler Member

Hiya Bigcat,
    Same as Poseidon- Brighton cast for me.
    Rick;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ISW

ISW Member

Similar to EssexKenny but arialised, with a swing out then back under the rod then turn face direction of cast and hit it over your shoulder, loads the rod very quickly and you will feel it on your thumb if using a multiplier. If it slips use a thumby...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. coach

coach Member

Good post and agree with 90%. However.. 6/7 ' drop is Way too long and very inefficient. 4' or there abouts is the way to go. Look for 'Terry Carroll Performs the Brighton Cast' on YouTube. You won't get a better tutor. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. coach

coach Member

BigCat just read your OP again and it prodded me into commenting.
    "Swirling the lead around".. 1) breaks rod tips. ..2) loses Any!! Control you have over the lead. Which COULD result in consequences you wouldn't want to even contemplate...

And 'Special Moves' don't exist.

The secret to distance is consistency. Same cast repeated again and again and again!. So your body learns,, until it's automatic.!! As soon as you swing a lead Every cast is different. That's Ok on a tournament court, you only have to get it right once in the day, but fishing you need every bait in the same place every time to build a feeding zone. And that means for most, especially in restricted areas, DON'T SWING. Check out the advice given re the Brighton cast. It's proper. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

Yes have seen that vid ( the Terry Carroll one) thats where i picked it up from after someone suggesting it lol

So a 6ft drop is a bit long?? Ive used a 6ft drop myself, as I set the length by holding the rod as level as i can (at head height) and setting the weight on the ground, so its the same (ish) length most of the time. Feels slower and more purposeful too if that makes sense lol

How come it works better with such a real short drop?? Out of curiosity, as will have to giv that a go :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. BigCat

BigCat Member

Thanks for replying. Good advice that and glad I "prodded" you into replying lol. You've given me food for thought :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. dabhanded

dabhanded Member

only one type of cast appropiate as far as i am concerned overhead thump.
    i have been pendulum casting or should i say trying too since the early eighties but also use various other casts depending on venues etc etc but fishing under unsure footing and surrounded by rocks there is only the overhead cast for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

Make sure its safe to cast off with your current gear mate, if your ledge has to be that small use an uptider or summat, one thing to think about is how close to the edge you are in the case of a cock up, dont try an oht if you cant get the rod back far enough , I tried this casting snatchy before with the rod about 45 degrees and sheared a carp rod clean in half at the spigot , also thought I would be clever getting within a few yards of the edge of clacton old seawalll for a good ol pendulum , had a tip ring wrap or something , nearly launched meself in the drink , just got away with a busted little finger on my reel hand somehow, be safe rather than everything

• Like Like x 1
  15. Woody33

Woody33 Member
    1. The Quicksilver Owners Club

Assuming you don't have a cliff directly behind you I like the hatteras cast, I only found out about the cast in the middle of last year and have been learning it since..found it brillian for limited space marks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. coach

coach Member

It's a combination of several factors actually,.... trying to keep it easy to understand,..
    a) the shorter the drop the less stretch there is in your leader so more energy is transmitted to your lead earlier in the cast
    b) with the shorter drop your tip is much nearer the ground, so your rod arc is much longer. . could be as much as 50%,.... and the longer the arc the faster the lead will move, and the faster the lead is moving the farther it goes.
    c) and your tip being nearer the ground means your butt hand is higher in the air and that gives you a much longer bottom hand pull = more power, more distance, better accuracy.
    Watch Terrys video again, it should clarify what I've posted for you. Tight lines. Coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. coach

coach Member

And even though slightly off topic but still i think pertinent could I ask Everyone who goes rock fishing to consider wearing a self inflating life jacket. They dont get in your way, they certainly aren't expensive- £50/ £60!. Less than half the cost of a reel, a quarter the cost of a rod.
    If a friend of mine has been wearing one on a flat calm evening in Wales he may very well have still been with us. What price is your life worth??

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  18. danthepub

danthepub Member

Having been using the Brighton cast for nearly all my fishing for over 30 years, my observations with regards drop length are as follows. Too long a drop and the lead will fly too high, usually resulting in a birdie and reduced distance. Drop too short, will see a flat trajectory, a burnt thumb and reduced distance. I find that 5 ft is perfect for me, a foot either way can make a huge difference, so i make all my rig bodies the same length and cast with the rig clip a couple of inches outside of the tip ring. I find this set up virtually foolproof in any conditions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bazzer2k8

Bazzer2k8 Member

Gets my vote!

• Like Like x 2
  20. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

Its a bit of a shock the first time you use the brighton cast with a short drop.Its amazing how quick your rod loads. Take it easy at first

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Patchinko_o

Patchinko_o Member

You could always use a drone. Only limited by your line capacity then lol.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor