1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Casting Tuition

Discussion in 'Casting' started by BillyFISHING, Nov 15, 2007.

1. andybelmont

andybelmont Member

in need of some casting tuition, im on the derbyshire/leicestershire border, i understand i might have to travel for this, has anyone got any reccomendations, cheers, andy

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. lewi

lewi Member

2 of us looking for casting tuition please.
    interested in learning pendulum.
    south west, close to minehead.
    work for ourselves, so as flexible as you need us to be, and far more flexibile than my newbie rod! :)

4. Ianm

Ianm Member

Hi, I have just started sea fishing and looking for some casting tuition.

I am a course angler and OK up to approximately 100m with a 12ft 2 3/4lb rod with a 1 1/2 oz weight but struggle with a sea rod.

Any help would be appreciated

I live in Lincoln

5. Realearner

Realearner Member

Hi, I am looking for some casting tuition, I live in Kent.
    Badly needed, went and tried to fish today, casting really bad lucky if I got 35mtrs. So a challenge for someone :blink:

6. smiffysgonefishing

smiffysgonefishing Member

Hi. I live in Poole. I have a reasonable pendulum style but I have some bad timing and position habits I can't seem to break. Are there any instructors local to me that can help me out.
    Cheers.
    Pete.

7. fast cast

fast cast Member

I am in suffolk if you need any casting help or lessons....

8. sampeeter

sampeeter Member

Fundamentals of good fly casting.

Single Spey cast
    Single Spey cast
    You don't have to be good at fly casting to catch fish but very few bad casters catch many fish and good fly casting is part of the satisfaction and enjoyment of fly fishing. Fly casting is easy if you satisfy the physics related to the method being attempted and fortunately the physics is simplified by observing a few basic rules.

Start with the line straight or organised. Just as it is impossible to pull a car with a slack tow rope it is impossible to move a fly with a slack line. If the line is not straight movement is wasted to straighten it and your effort is not only wasted, you have now got the rod in a bad place to start. Always start tight and this of course applies whether your line is on the water, in the air or formed into a roll casting D loop. If the fly moves when the rod tip moves a little the line is sufficiently organised.

Every casting stroke is a smooth acceleration followed by a stop. In this context acceleration can be interpreted as meaning that the rod pulls all the line, all the time throughout the cast. The "cast" completes when the rod stops. The acceleration bends the rod and loads it as a spring. Whilst it is accelerating the bend increases, when it stops the rod recovers and straightens, it is the stop that transfers the stored (potential) energy from the spring (rod) to the line adding it to the (kinetic) energy already possessed by the line and thereby makes the cast. That is why descriptions "like flicking paint off a brush" are applicable to casting. Most people understand that action and can replicate it. The better the "stop" the better it goes because the energy transfer is more efficient if the rod is stopped abruptly.
    The line always follows the rod tip and when the rod stops the line projects in the direction that the rod tip was going in when the stop was made. This is perhaps the least understood rule but it is absolutely fundamental to the construction of every casting technique. Every direction that the line takes was produced by movement the rod tip. This is so obvious and equally obviously, often forgotten! If you want your line to go in a straight line - make the rod tip move in a straight line, the direction of the line is the same as the direction of the rod tip and the same thing goes for circles or parts of circles, eclipses or any other shape that can support continuous motion for the duration of a casting stroke.

9. Dazg

Dazg Member

Anyone around North wales/ Wirral area that can give lessons on casting please?

10. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

id love to cast right but there are no instructers in sussex , im willing to pay a good person to teach me , not intrested in casting clubs been there and had no benefit , im in brighton but have no transport

11. Neilp.

Neilp. Member

Hi does anyone know of a good casting instructor in the Bristol/Newport Cardiff area? Seen one site called total angler that advertises casting tuition, but no blog activity since 2014.

12. iven krackenov

iven krackenov Member

Try the fonmon club in wales..you can find them on Facebook if your on there..great bunch of lads and very talented

• Like Like x 2
  13. Triton

Triton Barry Lead Head

Hello, please feel free to come along to Cymraeg Casting Club. We cast near cardiff airport every first sunday of the month. If you want to learn and improve your casting all our members are happy to pass on knowledge for free so dont be nervous take the leap and just turn up. If you are interested PM myself for details thx.

Milo Bjegovic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Triton

Triton Barry Lead Head

15. Andy_young

Andy_young Member

They're still active as I had a lesson with Nigel Ainscough on Monday just gone! Great bloke and top teacher
    ( if you can't get hold of them though there website, pm me n I'll send you his number)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Neilp.

Neilp. Member

Hi thanks for this, havn;t been on in a while and didn't see your reply until just now.

17. cadendum

cadendum Member

Anyone know of any instructors in Swindon wilts or surrounding area

18. Danny holroyd

Danny holroyd Member

Hi all. New to the forum but hoping to get a few posts in
    Does anyone know a tuition/ improver around the wigan end
    Thanks all
    Danny

19. GuyJ

GuyJ Member

Hello all

Just joined the forum.
    I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for some casting tuition in the south east, ideally East Sussex.

20. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

Hi Guys

Have a look at the new Castyourlead website

21. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Hi Colin, bit of a spur of the moment idea but my daughter has just demanded I chauffeur her to Thorpe Park tomorrow. do you have any plans for tomorrow afternoon?

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor