1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Casting Tuition

Discussion in 'Casting' started by BillyFISHING, Nov 15, 2007.

1. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

Not much although I'm coaching here in Bournemouth between 10 and 12.30

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Could you do another session about 2pm? I have to drop my daughter and her mate at Thorpe park around midday wait around and collect her late evening. I was thinking of combining a lesson with you and a visit to Christchurch Angling but even with my driving I won't cover the 80 miles from Thorpe park to Bournemouth in 30 minutes.

4. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

Glad we met up hopefully you enjoyed the session and now have something you can work with !!!!!

5. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Thanks Colin, it was good to meet you. Really enjoyable session and we dodged the rain by literally a couple of minutes. Until this year I had never seen proper pendulum casting. I had seen a few guys using a truncated fishing style pendulum on the beach, usually without regard to anyone fishing near them. So for the last few months I have made the effort to get down to Kent Sportscast at least monthly and hoped that spending time with some of the most proficient casters in the UK would solve all my problems.

This has been a partial success. I have learned to cast a bit further but only enough to reach the next plateau. Watching the top casters is inspiring but baffling too as each have their own style and the gap between them and me seems insurmountable, which it probably is. The Kent guys are helpful and happy to offer advice but sometime the advice is confusing or even contradictory to someone at my level. Especially someone as competitive as me that just wants to hit the cast harder and earlier to make up for any deficit in technique.

Spending time with a coach was, for me, money and time well spent. Colin immediately identified some faults with my stance and set up for the OTG and revised them. It was instantly noticeable how much smoother and more effortless the cast felt. I could really feel the rod (Century C Curve) compressing and firing the lead away with the reel running smoother. Probably a poor analogy but it felt that the lead was fired from a catapult rather than hurled like a boomerang. It was hard to judge distance as I was casting into a stiff onshore wind, with a fishing reel (6500 sportsmag with magnets halfway on) and .35mm line but it definitely felt like a big step forward and hopefully one I can build on with practise.

Onto the pendulum, which is the cast I have most issues with and again some small changes (alright quite big changes :oops:) from Colin and some time spent on simple drills paid off with some effortless feeling casts heading nice and straight seawards. I still have a lot of hours to put into the pendulum before I will be confident with it but thanks to Colin I have the chance to practise in the right way now.

As I don't get down to Bournemouth area much I had to add in a visit to Christchurch Angling to stock up on a few bits we cant buy over the counter here in Kent. The £100 I spent might seem a bit frivolous but I think it was very restrained as some of those Veret rods were giving me the eye and the credit card was trying to climb out of my pocket.:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor