Chart plotter faint screen ideas?

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by dale, Mar 24, 2012.

1. dale

dale Member

Guys
    I have an Eagle I chart plotter which is working okay but the screen has gone really faint.
    i have checked the machine for moisture - none
    i have checked the power source and swapped it for a proven source ie away from my sounder still the same.
    I have run out of ideas now. It's out of warranty now . It's the model with internal antenna.
    help or do i have to dig deep?

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. Why Worry Angling Charters

Why Worry Angling Charters Member

The screen has had it's day mate.....It has served it's time.I doubt it would be worth the cost of replacing the screen even if they would do it.Best get your wallet out and dig deep.:eek:hmy:
  3. johncrabbmi

johncrabbmi Member

check in the menu to customize screen and adjust contrast if you can.
  4. kennythejoiner

kennythejoiner Member

If its got a LCD screen they don't like direct sunshine and heat and you should keep the plastic cover on when not in use according to the eagle help site ..Did you check to see if its got a day and night setting..? but if more than likely its buggered try taking it into silver television in saltcoats and see if they can bench test the screen.
  5. BrianR

BrianR Member

I had an Eagle FishElite 642iGPS. It suddenly refused to switch on, I checked the power supply and then returned it to Navico at Romsey.
    They said it was ir-repairable, but allowed me £300 towards a new Lowrance HDS-5.
  6. dale

dale Member

Screen resolution is ok.
    no it wasn't in night mode, checked.

didn't come with a protective cover. unit is not left on the boat anyway. it went faulty while at home. plugged it in and hey presto screen issue.

sounds like a call to Navico is on the cards because Warrior were like an ashtray on a motorbike.
  7. kennythejoiner

kennythejoiner Member

8. fishy Finger

fishy Finger Member

Check you have a 12 volt plus power supply. The first thing to show low volts wil be the screen.
  9. Dave.S

Dave.S Member

10. BrianR

BrianR Member

I took my Eagle Plotter/Fishfinder to them first as it was out of warranty, they wouldn't touch it as they can't get parts for Eagle equipment. Apparently Eagle/Navico won't supply parts.
  11. dale

dale Member

Contacted Navico and they don't repair these. Have been offered a hd5 at a reduced price so not all bad however the nice 300 offered elsewhere is then set against RRP but still works out not too bad when you research the net for a good price.
    pity it last longer, really disappointing it's only lasted just over 2 years. Suppose I will just go back to Lowrance as my cards work ok in their HD models.
  12. BrianR

BrianR Member

It was Marine Electronic Services who told me "we don't repair these", they are are nothing to do with Navico.
    It was Navico who told me it was ir-repairable. Agreed it's not really acceptable for a bit of kit that's only 2 years old.

My Eagle FishElite 642 iGPS was only just over 2 years old. But I went for the Lowrance HDS-5 as my charts were compatible and so far I'm very pleased with it, when I asked if the quoted price included a dual frequency transducer (83/200Khz), they said no, but would include one FOC as a good will gesture.
    So I can't personally fault their service.
  13. headlight

headlight Member

Lowrance & Eagle are the same products.
    My Eagle 642ci is in fact a discontinued Lowrance plotter, namely the Lowrance 5150c.
    This happens a lot with the 2 brands.
    When a current Lowrance model is superceded by a new model they will continue to sell it but badged up as Eagle.

headlight
  14. BrianR

BrianR Member

I thought my Eagle FishElite 642c iGPS was a rebadged Lowrance 5150c, but then discovered the 5150c was just a chartplotter no sonar.
  15. headlight

headlight Member

The Eagle Intellimap 642C iGPS (that I have) is only a plotter & is defnately a Lowrance 5150c, the Eagle FishElite 642c iGPS is a combined plotter/sonar which is what you have.

headlight
  16. BrianR

BrianR Member

What I HAD.
    I know it was a combined plotter/sonar, I could never identify it's equivalent Lowrance unit.
  17. Para Handy

Para Handy Guest

I agree with you all the way. I have a Garmin 551S on the boat with in-hull transducer, and it's linked to the DSC VHF. Works a treat. I have Garmin Nüvi GPS in two vehicles and wouldn't consider using any other brand as they give 100% support.
  18. BrianR

BrianR Member

If I was starting again I would probably go Garmin, the Eagle came as part of the package from Warrior.
  19. eastgreen

eastgreen Member

Or point them to this thread so they can see the damage the bad press does them!
  20. headlight

headlight Member

Sorry Brian what you "HAD" did not have a direct Lowrance equivalent & I didn"t sugest that it did nor did I suggest that you didn"t know that is was a combined plotter/sonar.
    What I "HAVE" however "IS A LOWRANCE 5150C" badged up as an Eagle 642C iGPS.

headlight