1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Crab lures

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing' started by rockhopper 1956, Jul 7, 2016.

1. B L Z Bub

B L Z Bub

I know the coldwater scene, especially in the UK rather well. It is true that when fish are crashing on bait, they are schooled up and highly competitive and will take a range of offerings, perfect or almost.

In the UK, we have few large fish, often relative loners and it takes a much more targetted, lifelike approach to fool them, Sometimes, but very rarely IMHO are they rash or competing hunters.

BTW I take no offence in a reasoned argument, in fact I rather enjoy a good debate, such as what we are having atm.

I have never caught a fish on a crab fly, unlike MNS, I do bow to his greater knowledge, although I suspect that this is more focused on warm water species.

But hey, I am always willing to learn.

My approach, until I get success is to replicate prey as close as I am able, currently preoccupied with crabs and prawns, caught a great many on on realistic fishy flies, or flies tied as lures. Never caught on a crustacean fly but to be fair I have given them very limited water time.

I love to hear from anyone who has had success with crab flies for bass in the UK, my suspicion that the winning formula might be low water, clear, sinking line and small scuttling crabs.

Anyone got any positive comments?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ceramic

ceramic Member

been reading this with interest.
    not coldwater but tropical, earlier this year I found myself in cayo cruz cuba in the hope of catching a permit.
    I went with maybe a dozen crab flies much to my guides dismay! when he just stared at the little selection in my bonefish box all I could think of to say was "that good eh?"
    I had cast at 5 permit in the preceding 4 years with no interest at all, hence the limited selection. the guide had a small selection himself so of we went for 6 days after one. I got a few nice bonefish and some barracuda on the fly but its a place to try to get a permit.
    I had 27 shots at permit landing 2. one on an Avalon fly[shrimp pattern} the other on a size 6 olive flexo crab.
    what did I learn? crab flies have to look like a crab.....and act like one!
    a lot of the permit were coming in behind rays, land the crab on the back of the ray the guide said then strip slooowly or leave it.
    you could see the fish come to inspect the fly sometimes even follow it a way. but quite often they would spook.
    ever seen a 15 0r 20 lb fish disappear like magic...I did many times. if the crab moved too fast they were off! if they didn't like the look of it, they were off. you cant induce a take from a permit by pulling it away at breakneck speed to get a busting baitfish never say die reaction.
    cos crabs don't do that. they have to look and imitate a crab in the permits environment to stand any chance at all.
    I'm 100% sure b l z bub if I had some of your crabs on a size 4 or 6 saltwater hook my guide would have given them a swim asap
    very good crab flies mate well done!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. B L Z Bub

B L Z Bub

Thank you for the kind words

I realize that when fishing crab flies they must be fished virtually static, maybe the odd twitch and that the defensive pose is really important.

If my flies have a fault, is that they might be mounted transverse as when twitched they might scuttle sideways.

Will fashion both ways and see what transpires next season

always learning

Rgds

• Like Like x 2
  5. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

Not a challenge but why not throw flies at fish following rays

6. ceramic

ceramic Member

yes why not?
    the permit are following the ray for a reason....food.
    my second was caught old school if you prefer.....tailing.
    permit on a tarpon 12 wt......what was the fly??
    a tarpon bunny?

• Like Like x 1
  7. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

crab flies

8. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

unless the ray is gonna take it

9. ceramic

ceramic Member

back to the original topic.
    the second permit was taken on the olive flexo crab.
    id had 3 refusals on same fly over a mainly sand flat. 4th time over sea grass beds. he ate it.
    ive always been told to match your bonefish fly according to the ground below.
    tan flies over sand, olive over grass etc.
    I said this to yoandy the guide...he agreed.
    so why don't we try the tan flexos I asked.
    they were a slightly larger hook size and a larger body a 4 0r maybe a 2.
    do you think there too big I asked him.
    there a little big but I don't like the orange dots on the body. he replied.
    now admittedly this is just one mans opinion, but someone whos been chasing permit 6 days a week for ten years.
    but as the Cuban guiding legend lazaro viniola told me 2 months before I went to cruz.
    "permit are difficult fish, you can put the same fly in front of ten permit. 9 will refuse it the tenth one will eat it,
    to catch one is very very challenging but not impossible...remember that".
    so if I used a ray to catch the biggest prize in saltwater fly fishing...then shoot me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

Stunning flies, may I ask how you constructed the bodies?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. B L Z Bub

B L Z Bub

Bob, name like that and I'd help if I could.

The design was a good friend's idea and is a prototype. If I had exclusivity, I'd tell but the creation isn't mine to share.
    My friend visits here from time to time, and checks the section and may enlighten, I have to allow that right.

We've worked together on several unique and successful flies, he is the innovator and I am the technician. I'd say that fly is a 50/50 venture.

If it was all my own work I'd describe.

Sorry

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips *THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY* Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

This thread has had a massive clean up by me.
    Please be advised that any further off topic or 'personal' comment posts will be removed.

Nick

13. B L Z Bub

B L Z Bub

crablou.JPG

I didnt tie this but my mate did, going much smaller than the one I first posted. I think it is a winner.

When we first start going in the spring, the bass are fixated on moulting crabs and the way of the fly with baitfish imitations is somewhat scanty.

I'm hoping these work as good as they look.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips *THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY* Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator

Utterly brilliant!!!

Almost looks like one of those crabs that covers its self it surrounding material etc.

Love this stuff

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

Nice BLZ, do you tie too Nick?

16. Nick Phillips

No mate, I have done lots of fly fishing up in the North West Highlands but have never done it in the salt.
    I will do it... Been lure obsessed for 30+ years but see SWFF as the next step.

17. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

Wow in 30 years you must ahave racked up a shed load of double Bass....wots your pb

18. Nick Phillips

Never had a double mate, have had lots round the 8 mark but bass is not my sole interest.
    Tons of freshwater and in the salt I will target anything that swims, love LRF and Wrassing.
    My lad who is just turned nine loves LRF and we do lots.
    An all round lure fisher :)

19. Clouser bob

Clouser bob

I see, a Jack of all trades master of none.
    B L Z would your mate supply me with a couple of them bodies

20. Nick Phillips

Nobody is a master of anything in fishing, apart from the fish :)
    I would say I was a master of enthusiasm and life long obsession with all things piscatorial :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. ceramic

ceramic Member

he was rude about my Cuban wife wasn't he??
    I swear to god I'm going to catch so many permit next year....
    his, his head will explode!
    sorry guys nothing to add to this thread now.
    maybe in august when I return from cuba.
    ta ta.

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor