1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Customer Services Pimp My Reel

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by zippie, Dec 24, 2016.

1. zippie

zippie Member

Last Christmas (2015) after watching Youtube (tit!!) i purchased a uber great 6500 rough ground reel from PMR which i had massive problems with ,
    Contacting PMR was a nightmare , from "I have bought a new lathe which is wired wrong so "I have had to completely rebuild it " EH !!!!!
    Then when no response for a number of weeks to endless phone calls and emails "i have had to buy the wife a new phone so i have had to change my number as well"

" please be aware "

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. tournamag

tournamag Member

Read the rest of the comments elsewhere on here about dealings with "Pimp My Ring Piece" Barge poles&pitchforks come to mind at that name.

Wrong wiring on a lathe? LMAO(have to be careful as have chest infection so dam hurts)must be the little fairy lights that have on those TOMY Kids lathes flash on and off.

Unless your talking about cam cad/cnc one's which going by the standard of his dire efforts sure don't have there is only wiring to the motor&work light plus i can't see him having Three phase at a residential property as pretty sure hes by those waterside places he puts on vids as can't see anyone letting a prawn like that casting/annoying them!

But about time some took him to Trading Standards

And yes he lies and lies with more lies to the stage he don't know whats the truth had dealings and know too many others that have also plus never heard a decent word said about his work

He comes on here as Manfish Lording it around never posting anything of benefit to others or help/info even just berating posters and promoting his "Shoddy products"

Engineer he sure isn't see how he goes about /converting=destroying a reel plus then gives incorrect facts on items he's meant to be "UBERING"

But UBER RARE is the term used on end products ability to actually work&for how long! Not sum of reject parts he's using!
    Pretty sure now parts are 2nd's /rejects that have either been returned then given to him or when made

• Like Like x 5
  4. tournamag

tournamag Member

But one thing that comes to mind! Is how can so many people have so many issues with one person it's not like a major supplier turning out thousands of bits.
    As thousand sales a week and get hundred wrong'uns ok 10% but his sales must be almost in single figures a week yet Everyone is moaning never heard of 150% failure rate? new un on me!
    But even his "uber rare/special crown screws" are dire spoke to quite a few who have had them wrongly made

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

hes been reported to trading standards nothing happens

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jonnovet

jonnovet Member

Not only is the man an engineer but was also in "special forces" as he informed me. I have yet to meet anyone on this side of the pond who does not want to adjust his cranium with a two by four.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  7. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Watched a few vids on youtube of him, wouldn't use him myself, good reels getting ruined each time he gets his hands on them.:(:(:(

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. ken1989

ken1989 Member

For example trying to turn an abu 6500 into a rough ground reel????? The man is a clown then trying to sell it for ridicolous prices, wouldn't last 5 mins on some rocky marks in South wales dragging congers and hounds in over boulders etc. I think a 6500 was designed as a freshwater reel in America, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

Think they were originally designed fr salmon fishing with lures?? If I remember rightly thats why they still have the paperwork inside them which goes through how to set the end tension on the spool "mechanical brake" as its called, to help prevent over runs.
    Probably works great when casting big plugs or 40 odd gram spinners, but to set a reel up like described in the paperwork setting the end tension so the weight on the end drops a foot or so when the rod is flicked slightly.... With 150g+ of lead hanging on the end of it you will within no time at all destroy the insides (spindle and bearings).
    Might have something to do with the amount of 6500 sized reels that get killed within a few years??
    I had a 6500 elite (the original blue one) and a 6500 sportsmag which lasted me for over 10yrs untl i sold them a couple of years ago which ran just as smoothly as the day i bought them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Norm B

Norm B Member

;) I believe it was designed for European freshwater salmon fishing and adapted for beach fishing by well known British anglers. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nismo

Nismo Member

god knows what makes people pay up to £400 for his reels when their basically standard reel with maybe £30 of parts added
    my friend bought a center mag from him and when it was fitted you could not center the spool and had massive amounts of play in each side the speed bullet on the center mag was way out after making new shims for him just to center the spool it was barely any different to the standard braking

12. OldSeaDog

OldSeaDog Member

I wonder how long he will read these post without offering any reply?

13. Norm B

Norm B Member

:( We're not worthy of a reply. :(

14. zippie

zippie Member

Why are the exotic metals described as being used in these reels ie " titanium and bronze " better than what are fitted in standard reels as i am pretty sure that the casting lads don't use them? and also the bearings has anybody tried to establish if they are Abec 9

15. Flat out

Flat out Member

Hi guys,

It's Jamie

from PMR,...

What i have,

in front of me,

is,

a true,

work,

of,

FART duck_fart_by_yodamjh.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Flat out

Flat out Member

Hi guys, it's just Frank on WSF,..

Fake, fake, fake,...

But, just couldn't resist,...

otoh, Although i also refrained from ordering parts from mentioned gent because of the almost instant "not really nice" response i got on my sms, isn't it time to stop bashing him.
    I suppose we all know by now what the nature of his business is. Shouldn't we just drop the matter and get on with or lives.

Not disregarding the damage done to some of his customers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

They are no better than the standard parts..... the standard parts are fine. there is no reason to use titanium shims in the end caps of reels for any purpose other than to justify calling the reel a "Titanium something or another" to try and make it sound like something revolutionary.

• Like Like x 1
  18. blakdog

blakdog Member

Phosphor bronze is a very good material, lasts longer than plain brass but is still very good for uses involving friction, such as pinion supports, pinion gears etc. Titanium is known for hardness but is useless for parts that will suffer a lot of friction - really not something you would make a pinion support pin out of.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. silly blanker

silly blanker Member

Russ he claims to be an engineer, but isn't. Not long ago trying to cut costs he was suggesting using stainless steel for the speed bullet as bronze was becoming to expensive. I told him do that and all that will happen is the spindle will pick up in the speed bullet and seize and wont matter what oil you run it in. I don't like the way he has slagged off you and Chris Macey in his adds, your products have stood the test of time, his unfortuneately haven't. Your right Titanium is great for strength and lightness, but you don't use it for a bearing surface as its another material that will pick up when run at high speeds and can also catch fire if it gets too hot. I use your Penn Fathom mags and my pal uses Chris Macey ones, no problems. In fact my pal hit 267 yards over grass the other day with his and fishes at around 150 yards regularly when fishing, that speaks for itself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. silly blanker

silly blanker Member

Hi Zippie, Whats been the problem with the reel?

21. zippie

zippie Member

The spool rubbing the cage , the manfish gears were not engaging with the pinion drive etc etc

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor