1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

DIY Servicing

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by ChrisP, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Russ 1

Russ 1 Member

we use the wax to cover machines at work once they have been washed off and they will sit outside for a year or more till we next use them . i had an older outboard with some one had tried to repaint around the gearbox so i rubbed it all down to the bear metal and then waxed it. i then used it nfor a whole year before i got rounf to painting it and it was as good as new . i recommend it to anyone

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ddaddymurray

ddaddymurray Member

on my way to the chandlers now this thread should save me a few quid towards that windlass|

4. caelachiv

caelachiv Member

very helpfull , well done guys/girls. ive got 2 engines to look at and this has been very helpfull. cheer's

5. jsplace

jsplace Member

After reading this thread and watching a professional service my outboard this afternoon I will have absolutely NO PROBLEM servicing my own from now on! :) :)

How much beer money should I pay myself for labour? ;)

6. Phil Robertson

Phil Robertson Member

Just a thought on servicing boats for the winter, and relating to the stolen boats threads, If your boat is trailer mounted remove the wheels and store them securely elsewhere, leave the trailer on a pair of H*****ds axle stands, preferably at a lower height than it would be with the wheels on. Just make it awkward for the b*****ds. If you are into metal fabrication it is easy to make up a set of "winter wheels" stands that bolt onto the hub, weld on a cap or u shaped piece to prevent access to the hub cap and stub axle nut beneath.

7. steviecod

steviecod Member

hi guys i have the above outboard,which i bought with boat in feb this year.After getting it in the water last friday,to my annoyance it runs fine on idle,but on engaging forward or reverse gear it eventually dies,unless i up the revs which is a bit annoying on mooring the boat.Hope some of you fine boaters may be able to help me.Im pretty new to this,so bear with me ,if i seem a bit thick.Cheers.

8. pikefisher123

pikefisher123 Member

Just want to let you know and also to thank you Chris for all your advice regarding servicing outboards, my Suzuki 40 2 stroke really thanks you also lol.
    Rob

9. knightinblack

knightinblack Member

re gear box filling it can be done from top, i used a large sringe messy yes just give it time to run down sides, the sringe needs to have a tube atached or you will get bubbles, or you buy the pump & fill from bottom.

10. Sharanman

Sharanman Member

IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2373.JPG can anyone help me identify the year roughly this outboard is i have had this a couple of seasons now, it is 3 cyl 2stroke i cant fault it it has not let me down. i wanted to change plugs which i have identified and got. the serial plate is really worn and cannot make anything out. i believe it is early 90's possibly bigfoot? i wanted to change gear oil should the engine be raised to have vent at the top, i will try and attach a pic to show screws.The only good pic of the screws has an error so cant upload it typical.Any help with this would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

11. Clinker

Clinker Member

That livery was used from 1994 - 2000. Change gearbox oil with the engine vertical. Remove both screws to let the old oil drain. Check condition of the oil - if it's milky you have a seal that needs attention. But assuming all is OK, once drained, you fill it by pumping oil in from the bottom hole (engine still vertical) until it comes out of the top hole - this is how you know it's reached the correct level. Replace top screw, then replace the bottom screw as quickly as you can without losing any oil!

This really should be an annual job from now on.

12. Sharanman

Sharanman Member

thanks for the advice.;)

13. Sharanman

Sharanman Member

just a quick question if the engine is in the vertical the screws are beside each other if i tilt to horizontal then vent screw is above filler screw, is it ass about face with this engine?

14. BrianR

BrianR Member

Motor vertical = as your photo (running position)
    This video will show you, although as Clinker said, replace vent screw first as it's less messy.

15. Sharanman

Sharanman Member

thanks for that that makes sense now.;)

16. Mat Wye

Mat Wye Member

If anyone has any requirements that involve hoses (engine / gearbox / hydraulics) I can help.
    I can overhaul hydraulic rams / cylinders too.
    I am used by lots of local marine dealers because of my knowledge and value for money.

17. dai1641

dai1641 Member

18. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor