1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice
  1. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Hi gents
    I want to be able to drill through the middle of a needle fish with standard DIY equipment
    How do you do it or any thoughts
    Cheers Brian

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mudmagnet

Mudmagnet Member

Hi Brian. I've been pondering over this too.

Best I've come up with is to cut the blank in half along it's spine before shaping and cut a small v groove with a ruler and a sharp knife. Glue back together with wire in place. May have to grease??? the wire if you want to remove it before shaping.

I've not tried this yet. It's on my list for the weekend. If it's a disaster I'll let you know.

I'd like to know how the experts do it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Thanks for the reply mud magnet,I've been hack sawing a slot and then dropping the wires in

• Like Like x 1
  5. briney

briney Member

sj, you can buy 200mm long drill bits. At that length, 4mm is about the smallest diameter.

The smaller the diameter, the shorter the drill bit (because of flexing), as a rule.

George

• Like Like x 1
  6. briney

briney Member

7. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Cheers George, I have bought some long series drills my problem is getting the drill to run in the center of the lure or wood blank.
    I'm going to have to make some sort of jig to hold the drill

8. briney

briney Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Bargain those clamps,
    cheers George
    I found drilling jig I've had for years and never used in the atic, so that going to be my staring point

10. briney

briney Member

Sounds like a plan :cool2:

George

11. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

Well the plan didn't work, the drill wandered all over the place, a little better at slow drilling speed and painfully slow feed, back to split up the middle lol

12. briney

briney Member

Sorry to hear that, sj. The best laid plans and all that.

George

• Like Like x 1
  13. David1

David1 Member

Drilling deep holes is always going to be difficult in wood even with a pedestal drill. Best bet is to drill a hole in a square blank then shape to get central. If the lure is already formed drill half way from each side, they may not meet exactly but you should be able to get wire through. For smaller drills just make one out of TIG wire or the like.

When I used to make small plugs for perch without a lathe I used to drill the best I could through a thick piece of broom handle. After this I would but a small bolt and locking nuts through the hole. Put the drill in the vice and broom handle in chuck spin and use a ******* rasp removing material until every thing was to size and centre. Not sure what material your using, I write with regard wood.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Barry Wilson

Barry Wilson Member

I use a lathe but even then a thin drill will wander. I found the trick is to only have about 10mm out of the chuck then drill from both ends. This will give drill better stability and a start when you lengthen the drill.

• Like Like x 1
  15. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

I was lol
    Thanks for the replies, trouble is I'm looking at making needle fish 6 ins plus in length

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. David1

David1 Member

Instead of drill through the length of the lure you could go about it like this. Where you tie the lure to line (head end) drill a hole couple of MM into the lure length ways. Take you piece of wire and make a loop in each end like a swivel. After this drill a hole i.e through the gill covers and use a tight fitting pin (metal) to secure. The pin would have to be a tad short so you can fill the hole (epoxy/whatever your using). Same principle for the bottom and rear hooks. Drill direction belly to dorsal and then through side double loop, pin. Drill length ways caudal to mouth a few MM same again. I think you get the idea. This could be done once the material has been shaped, should be accurate apart from a bit of extra filling and sanding. Im not saying I would use this technique by example for monster fish but I have had a 11 odd lb pike using the method material was hard wood and it held up fine.
    What material are using buddy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor