1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Drowning doesn't look like drowning!

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by meldelkel, Sep 11, 2012.

1. prowan2

prowan2 Member

great post

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. strikey

strikey Member

Great thread, thanks for posting.

4. Catch Maker

Catch Maker Member

A good read - well done and thanks for the reminder

5. thebaitdigger

thebaitdigger Member

Excellent post cheers allan.

6. mikeregan

mikeregan Member

eye opening post.are holiday starts in two weeks,
    thanks for posting.
    mike & kids

7. terminalmonkey

terminalmonkey

Very good post- saw the title and it took me straight back to a school holiday when I was at primary school. Lad in my class had jumped in the pool and all I saw was him dog paddle then what looked like treading water badly. wasn't until he went under and stayed under and a teacher dived in we realised he'd been drowning. He was hauled out in time and started fitting which was a bit shocking to watch as a nipper.

8. Rickyboy123

Rickyboy123 Member

Great post real eye opwner

9. tappajabba

tappajabba Member

a few years ago I managed to save a young boy in a pool surrounded by 20 or so people who never saw it happen.

after being in the navy (small ships) and having my own boat, I put it down to my 'sea eyes' that saved the wee guy.

never ever under estimate the power of the elements

10. Robster22

Robster22 Member

Superb Post....fortunately the one incident I was involved in had a more positive but albeit, embarrassing outcome....
    Many years ago at our annual summer Regatta I saw what I thought was a teenage girl in our local lake who seemed to be in some distress . I jumped in (wearing shorts and tee shirt) from a floating dock, had barely swum three strokes towards her when I heard my wife yell from the dock "Its a demo, ya bloody idiot"..........Ummmmm.....

11. dave hallett

dave hallett Member

That is so sad ?

12. OxoCube

OxoCube Member

Excellent post, cannot agree more about this subject.
    I have also seen this effect, on a calm still "lido" in London and in a swimming pool. Luckily on both occasions I was able to render assistance from some training in a basic lifeguards exam taken years ago.
    People seem to think water is something they can play with, without respect. A truly dangeous assumption, especially if it concernes your children. Mine were taught to swim and respect water from an early age because an incident in a swimming pool had me almost drown with no one noticing until the last minute. I did not/still do not fancy them being in the same position as myself.
    Now take this to the sea and the dangers increase 100 fold.

Parents need to be extra vigiliant, not relaxed when on the beach.
    Children need to be taught to swim as soon as possible and use floatation devices when in surf and playing about in it.
    Others should be aware of those about, just in case you may be a "hero" to someone. No heriocis really, just observation and respect.
    Life preservers worn when needed and in some cases anyway.

Sorry for the essay. Have also been in a position to watch a drowning and not be able to do a thing.

Tight lines, and be safe out there.

13. Waynethepunk

Waynethepunk Member

This happened years ago, around 30 years.I was on holiday with the Kids in Wales.Cardigan Bay. The Mrs had gone to the bank so I went to have a look over the bay with the kids.2 lads and a girl appeared, the lads strip down to their boxers and start swimming across the bay, one of them stopped, he was about 30 meters out, I clearly heard him say "Oh,God" then he was gone, no thrashing no waving, I was there another 20 minutes and he hadnt been seen so I assumed the worst.

Alcohol may have been involved in this one, as could shock due to the water temperature, but it does sort of replicate the views of the OP. The innocence of children, my 7 year old daughter asked when we got back in the car "Dad, will the fishes be eating him now?"

14. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor