1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. A NOTE FOR ALL MEMBERS

You will need to update your bookmarks to be able to visit some sections of the new WSF Forums. If you have bookmarks stored these need to be updated.

We recommend you go to the WSF Forums Home Page by clicking the link below, remove your bookmarks and then re-add them in.

WSF Forums: WSF Forums

Easing tight spigots

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by wooky114, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Offline
    wooky114

wooky114 Member

Favourite Rod:
    Century TTR
    Favourite Reel:
    Penn 515
    Best catch:
    My wife... Couldn't put her back cos she'd swallowed the hook!
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore

To remove this advert please register or log in

Your rod tight to put together or hard to get apart? The spigot need easing as bit for better fit...

Try this, from the Century Site:

http://www.century.gb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=522

We receive inquiries about servicing joints - particularly reverse fit joints that we primarily use on our sea rods. Every new rod is issued with care leaflet but we understand these are not always passed on if the rod is subsequently sold or the guidance is sometimes misplaced.

Century joints are ground to fine tolerances and don't like sand, grit or gunge interfering with their fit!

At Century - we use a specialized form of PTFE to lubricate the joints when new and this application should last a good while. However we recognize that we also recommend joints should be kept clean and inevitably this means a trip to a bowl of warm soapy water. This can reduce the effectiveness of PTFE lubricant over time and multiple cleaning sessions - so we are advising owners to consider a relatively low cost way of keeping joints clean and lubricated.

Aside from cleaning both the male and female sections with warm soapy water – we have found a bottle brush available from most high street supermarkets is very effective in cleaning out the female section of the joint.

[​IMG]

It is very important to clean out sand, grit and detritus from this area to guarantee a good fit and to prevent accelerated wear and tear.

When both joints are clean and dry – we recommend a lubricant such as 3- In -One PTFE. This is available from good hardware stores or in UK – stores such as Halfords and is not expensive but very effective. Spray the lubricant over the male spigot and down the female section of the joint. Re engage the sections and carefully work them back to their natural position with a gap of no more than 2cm.

Clean the residue off with a lint free cloth and repeat the procedure whenever the joint is cleaned with soapy water.

This procedure will extend the life of the joint and keep it trouble free.

[​IMG]

or try this:

If the spigot is that tight, try this tip which I got from another forum member:

'Joint Control':

Ok, sooner or later you’ll get a sticky joint. Zziplex and Century blanks like many others suffer, and you’ll end up with a rod that doesn’t fit together right. It’ll happen just at the wrong time of course and probably ruin a days casting.

The cure is to not have to cure it. Let me explain.

Prevention is better than a cure, so lets prepare a joint for a rod, leaving a 1/2″ spacing.

If your rod fits together perfectly, and most do, skip this, but if its really tight, or doesn’t quite go to that 1/2″ spacing try this.

Do NOT use abrasives !!!, instead try a thin smear of grease on the male joint and a little inside the female joint too. Place the pieces together slowly and rotate the joints as you go.

Do this a little at a time and do NOT push the rod together !, you’ll regret it if you do.

Do 1″ of joint at a time, and slowly but surely get the joints to match. It can take up to 1 hour to get it right. Between sessions of turning, clean both joints inside and out with clean spirit and you’ll get black grease being removed. The grease is a lubricant and the carbon on both joints will mate. Its similar to pattern matching hand fitted expensive shotgun parts, using grease instead of smoke.

When its all done, give it a final clean, and either leave on a very thin film of grease and I mean thin, or degrease it with washing up liquid. The end result is a rod that fits, and you’ll have more confidence using a rod with correctly fitted joints.

Well worth trying before attacking a blank with an abrasive of any kind :thumbs:

Once you're happy with the fit, clean off the spigot with meths/white spirit, as previuosly suggested and keep it lubricated with a pencil lead....

No WD40, or abrasives of any type required :thumbs:

If anyone else has any hints/tips re the the easing of spigots - preferably ones that don't involve using wet and dry or similar abrasives as it's very easy to do many years worth of wear to the spigot in a couple of minutes if you're not careful, feel free to add em...
  2. Offline
    wildinguk

wildinguk Member

Favourite Rod:
    Century CCC LD
    Favourite Reel:
    Penn 525 T mag
    Best catch:
    sea; 13lb 9oz smoothie starry, 15lb cod shore, 6lb 7oz bass
    Wooky, great advice, but are you sure that's the right 3 in 1? Just that's the oil with a little ptfe in it...surely oil on a joint is a bad bad idea!?!

Do they mean the 3 in 1 dry PTFE lubricant instead? Asking as I am having huge problems getting my cccld, the older without the metal collar, to mate properly....still got 2.5cm of the sprigot showing.

Cheers
  3. Offline
    Mackeminexile

Mackeminexile Back from Exile

Favourite Rod:
    ZZiplex Primo Synchro, M4 Gt / Evo, Century TTLD
    Favourite Reel:
    7HT Mag, Magged Saltist 20H
    Best catch:
    4.5lb cod, 10lb 12oz Starry Smoothound, 2lb 13oz Plaice
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    Nope, that is the right spray. It used to be on the Century site itself until they closed their forum. It is the stuff I use on my TTLD when it gets a bit stiff and it works perfectly, a quick spray and the spigot is good for another few months use.
  4. Offline
    gazmonster

gazmonster Doggystyles

Favourite Rod:
    primo full tournament's, hsm's
    Favourite Reel:
    avet sxmc's, 7ht mag's
    Best catch:
    17lb 11oz shore conger
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    Favourite Boat:
    rnli lifeboat
    Its the right stuff, been using it on my cme's for a while now and also spray up the reel seats to stop them sticking and falling to bits (typical of century seats so i hear)
  5. Offline
    Al@123

Al@123 Member

Favourite Rod:
    Zziplex M4 Highflex M
    Favourite Reel:
    7HT Mag
    Best catch:
    13lb 8oz S.Eyed Ray, 8lb 7oz Bass, 9lb 10oz Smut, 3lb 8oz Plaice, 7lb Cod, 9lb Thornback
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    Just done as advised with my sticking Zzippy M4 Hi-flex...worked a treat!
    Great advice, thanks very much.
  6. Offline
    Joshiboy

Joshiboy Member

Favourite Rod:
    Century TTLD
    Favourite Reel:
    525 Mag
    Best catch:
    56 Kilo catfish
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    An old fishing friend sadly no longer with us passed on a really good tip.... before pushing the 2 peices together run the male end through your hair...the grease in you hair will make taking the two rod lengths apart again very easy....I use this trick all the time RIP Eric
  7. Offline
    Rossco99

Rossco99 Member

Favourite Rod:
    TT SPORT mk2
    Favourite Reel:
    Fathom 15
    Best catch:
    The next 1
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    Not 1 for the baldy guys on here lol :schmoll:
  8. Offline
    Wiggles2011

Wiggles2011 Member

Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    I take it that you are "folically challenged" yourself Ross? lol
  9. Offline
    Rossco99

Rossco99 Member

Favourite Rod:
    TT SPORT mk2
    Favourite Reel:
    Fathom 15
    Best catch:
    The next 1
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    Not at all mate I have a full head of hair, doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon either (touch hairy wood) ;)
  10. Offline
    Wiggles2011

Wiggles2011 Member

Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    With 6 kids!!!!!!?
    You must have the patience of a saint, just 3 has seen me "thinning" by my late 30s :(
  11. Offline
    sea nymph

sea nymph Member

Favourite Rod:
    Diawa super Kenzaki 3 piece 12-20
    Favourite Reel:
    Okuma magnetix 30ls
    Best catch:
    18lb thornback
    Favourite Fishing:
    Boat
    An old tip I had was to give the male end a light rub with a candle, although that was when brass ferrules were the norm. For carbon type rods you can use a light dusting of powdered french chalk, used to dust chalk lines builders and the like use, or nick the wifes talc.
  12. Offline
    yorkshireblue

yorkshireblue Member

Favourite Rod:
    conyflex-Zziplex
    Favourite Reel:
    abu -shimano
    Best catch:
    5lb bass
    Hi i have read all the replys and sound good BUT a great rod man had just bought a Zziplex second hand not a cheep one and hes on the whitby site and this one he rang a lad that deals in them and he could not get it to fit at all and he was told to put it in his house were it was warm and turn the rod upside down tip end down and but down he left it for around 4 hours and it fit in a bit only a few "is so he left it all night next day it fit great so give it a try he said DONT rub it down with wet an dry or any thing els and it was said of a Zziplex rod builder so just give it a go as it wont cost you any thing to try this hope it helps yours paul.
  13. Offline
    Maywood

Maywood Guest

Favourite Rod:
    ZZIPLEX / DAIWIA
    Favourite Reel:
    AVET MX
    Best catch:
    45LB CONGER
    Favourite Fishing:
    Boat
    Favourite Boat:
    SCAVENGER
    Yoga works wonders.
  14. Offline
    afawtr

afawtr Member

Favourite Rod:
    afaw tournament rock/zziplex m4 evo
    Favourite Reel:
    akios shuttle 656/penn mag/saltist b+g 20(magged)
    Best catch:
    17.10 smut/16.10 thorny/15.6 blonde/14.6 cod/12.10 small eye/10.10 bass
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    a top rod builder once showed me to use spray grease. spray on and twist both halfs of your rod in opposite directions, keep working until joints fit perfectly. then wipe off grease. want to know if it works??? used my pair of conoflex highlanders for 12 years after and i do alot of fishing without ever having a problem. just make sure you wipe all the grease off so it does not attract sand and grit
  15. Offline
    selseybilly

selseybilly Guest

Favourite Rod:
    Conoflex 240t,COD 5/6, TFG Delta13 &14/Force 8,Morethan Branzino, Terry Carroll 674
    Favourite Reel:
    Penn 525 Supermag. SLosh,Daiwa Certate 2500, Calcutta700BSV,GT10000
    Best catch:
    25.7kg King fish, 18.4kg Bass, Seagull
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    Favourite Boat:
    Peddlelow
    I've always use candle wax but heard sex wax works too(what surfer use on their boards).
  16. Offline
    afawtr

afawtr Member

Favourite Rod:
    afaw tournament rock/zziplex m4 evo
    Favourite Reel:
    akios shuttle 656/penn mag/saltist b+g 20(magged)
    Best catch:
    17.10 smut/16.10 thorny/15.6 blonde/14.6 cod/12.10 small eye/10.10 bass
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    candle wax is great when the spigot becomes worn !!!! not to sure about the sex wax though:clap2:
  17. Offline
    zziplex_swales

zziplex_swales Member

Favourite Rod:
    Ive got to many rods too choose from now, obviously Zziplex though!
    Favourite Reel:
    Abu 6600w Monochrome, Abu 6500 mag pro and Florida Mag
    Best catch:
    8lb 12oz cod, 10lb 8oz Bull Huss, 7lb 5oz Small Eyed Ray (All shore caught)
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    the spigot on my M4 Evo has become really tight.

only the first 1" or so goes in. Ive had the rod about three years now from new.

the thing is it didnt used to be like that, its only the past 8-10 months.

I clean my rods down with soapy water after every use, including the male and female spigot.

i read this sticky a while back and thought id buy some 3 in 1 PTFE lubricant.

ive just tried it, it seemed to work a little, easing it and twisting. its hardly any further in...and now i cant get the rod apart!! :uhuh:

help please!!

any suggestions on what to do or whats happened to my rod?
  18. Offline
    zziplex_swales

zziplex_swales Member

Favourite Rod:
    Favourite Reel:
    Best catch:
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore
    Im sorted now, ive got it apart! :clap2:

i think ive found the problem too....

seems to be a build up of carbon 'dust' in the female section!

the ptfe lube seems to have lifted it - the spigots have always been cleaned down after use, but after pushing a cloth down...it came out black, now the spigots fit perfect!! yipppeeee :lol:

someone might find this post useful now :thumbs:
  19. Offline
    leadblast

leadblast Guest

Ive found over the years when your rod is stuck and wont come apart simply remove the butt cap .it takes all the suction out and releases
  20. Offline
    zziplex_swales

zziplex_swales Member

Favourite Rod:
    Favourite Reel:
    Best catch:
    Favourite Fishing:
    Shore

To remove this advert please register or log in

I have a small hole in the butt cap to prevent that suction happening