1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Eastney Cruising Association

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by Andy135, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Andy135

Andy135 Member

Are there any WSF'ers that are members of Eastney Cruising Association?

I'm looking for a place on the Solent to store and launch my boat from and the ECA website looks promising but I'd like to know more from existing members on how they rate the facilities, launching, recovery, yard security etc.

PM me if you'd prefer.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. sniggle

sniggle Member

Have not been there for a few years but it was an excellent club , bar , showers workshop etc .
    They used to have a scheme where members did one night per year security watch on the compound .
    You could pay not to do it but most did the shift and had an early start fishing next day.
    Fishing section xmas meal and presentation night was always a hoot !:)

Old info i know but it may give you some idea !

• Like Like x 1
  4. Salar

Salar Member

I was a member a while ago and it was excellent. I think it has got better - also you don't have to do a night shift now, they have a security man. We have ECA members in our marina and I have only heard good things.

5. Andy135

Andy135 Member

Thanks both. What's the main slipway like to launch and recover from single-handedly? I've heard that the current can be a pain at times.

6. sniggle

sniggle Member

The Langstone run certainly does shift on big spring ebbs , not sure that single handed launching is easy on the club slipway as you really need one on the trailer and one on the electric winch.
    I recall there is a ledge at the bottom of the slip on very low tides which can cause trailer problems .
    There is another slip on the marina side away from the run but i think that is club tractor launch.

There is also a public slipway next to the ECA compound but the council gouge you to use it;)
    My friend had a boats at the ECA for decades so knew everybody and alway got a hand from other members when needed for launching and retrieval.

The membership is limited so there may be a waiting list.

7. MarkieD

MarkieD Member

If you can't get in there, I am a member of Southsea Sea Angling Club,next door to the ECA and we have spaces available.Great club and nice people.

8. Thresher 17

Thresher 17 Member

There are two winches and the slip is usable at all stages of the tide. Many members including myself regularly launch and retrieve single handed but there are a few factors which can make things slightly awkward including swell and wash from boats exceeding the speed limit. The tide run isn't much of an issue. As mentioned there is a dip which drops off quite notably but it is at the lowest point of the tide and is not usually a problem once you are aware of it.
    Facilities are nothing short of excellent.. a full workshop, bar with galley, tractors, wise lift, good water/power points throughout the compound.. pretty much everything is covered really.
    There is a full time night watchman, swipe card entry and plenty of decent members who watch out for anything untoward.
    You will need an existing member to propose you and another to second.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor